• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo VGM Quiz

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    Video Game Music Quiz
    Nintendo-Style GT 2K18

Intro
    Hello there fellow humans! I am Spirit Shackle, but you can call me DJ_TapuCure for the duration of GT. You probably have read some of my stuff on the Pok?Community Daily. If you haven't, you should. it's good.

?Without music, life would be a mistake? ? Friedrich Nietzsche

Music sways human emotions, it changes how we think and act, and it's all around really freaking awesome. Composers of video games and movies need to set the scene for their games/movies with music. An intense fight scene should have Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin intense music. Video game composers have their own challenges - most video game pieces actually loop, so you need to create music that seamlessly loops into itself.

This event aims to celebrate some amazing songs from video games. However, due to there being so many songs to choose from, this set will be limited to songs from one line of consoles. Nintendo has long been praised for their outstanding soundtracks, so I think that's a good place to start (with this being a Pok?mon forum and all).

The Quiz
    The concept of this quiz is very simple. Each day of GT, I pick some songs and send you MP3s, you work with your Tribe to identify them for points.

Each day of GT, I will give everyone around 10 songs. Each will come in the form as a hand-picked 15-30 second clip from the song. The only exception to this will be songs that naturally are less than 15 seconds. This should be enough to identify them.

Today's are included in the following post, most of the others will be given in PM. If you want to receive these PMs, please post in this thread asking for PMs. I will also post them in the #VGM-Quiz channel of the Get-Together Discord.

To send in your responses, either PM me on the Pok?Community Forums or DM me (@ddrox13#7859) on Discord. Your responses should indicate, for each song, the game and series it comes from and either the name of the song or when it plays in the game.

As an example, if Day 0 Song 1 were "The Lament of Falling Stars", You should tell me that Song 1 is from Pokemon ORAS and either that it is called "The Lament of Falling Stars" or that it plays in cutscenes where Zinnia is sad.

I've defined a Nintendo song as one from a game that originally launched exclusively on a Nintendo console. So anything from those is fair game. A TON of credit given to Rabinov for helping me with a lot of the older songs. I wasn't born yesterday, but I sure as hell wasn't playing the NES in 1983 (given I wasn't born until 15+ years later).

Similarly, I don't expect anyone to have played every Nintendo game ever. Not even all the good ones like Fossil Fighters. So, this event will be done as a Tribe. You SHOULD use your Ruins channels on Discord to discuss these.

Each Tribe should have at least 3 people send me responses per day to be eligible for points. Once I receive 3 identical (or close to identical) responses from members of a Tribe, I'll count them as that Tribe's answers. If I get at least 3 responses from a Tribe but no 3 identical ones, I'll count whatever response for each question was used the most.

THERE IS NO NEED TO RUSH. Answers will be accepted for 24 hours after I post the questions. There are no points for speed, and the last Tribe to send in their responses gets the same number of points as the first (provided they got the same number of songs right). Speaking of which...

This event uses an independent points system, henceforth known as Quiz Points, or QP.

For each song correctly identified, your Tribe receives 5 QP. Correctly identifying the game or series, but not the song, results in partial QP.

At the end of GT, I will award Z-Crystals to the tribes with the most QP.
    The Tribe with the 3rd most QP will get a Normalium Z, worth 20 points
    The Tribe with the 2nd most QP will get a rare Dragonium Z, worth 50 points
    The Tribe with the absolute most QP will get an exclusive Mewnium Z, worth a whopping 500 points!

Good luck everyone, and have fun!

CSS reused from Achromatic's template thread. Shamelessly. Where did that thread get off to anyway?

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    Day II - Songs
    Video Game Music Quiz

The Second Group

Well, you managed to give me NOTHING to work with so far. But that's okay, you still have 3 hours. I'll post results of Day I in the morning. 24 hours from now Day 2 closes.

Ready for round 2?

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    Day I - Results
    Video Game Music Quiz

The Songs of Day 1

Okay everyone, scores are in for Day 1! But first, let's talk about what the songs ACTUALLY were...

1. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal - Professor Oak?s Theme ?
    A nice easy one. All 4 tribes got full credit here. But I expected that...

2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Serenade of Water?
    OOT music is soooo pretty. Also full points around.

3. Kid Icarus - Sky World ?
    Skyworld was a weird one. It was weird enough that 2 of the tribes aren't getting credit for it. That's Koko and Bulu. Fini sent in 3 unique answers for this question, so I'll say they got lucky that this was the one I counted.

4. Kirby: Star Allies - Vs. Zan Partizanne (Prayer Song to God Ver. 2)?
    Gods this song is sooooo catchy. I mean uh... Sounded like everyone had trouble with this one. Lele only got it at 11 PM last night. Bulu got half credit (3) for this, as they identified the game and series but not the song. Koko I heard actually picked it up pretty early though. Fini got no points here.

5. Pok?mon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - Withered Savannah?
    HOW. DID. EVERY. SINGLE. TRIBE. MISS. A. POKEMON. SONG? At least the Bulus managed to get that it was from either G2I or PSMD, so I'll give them 2 QP. Makes up for half credit on #4

6. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - Pressing Pursuit ~ Cornered?
    Despite managing to come up with 4 unique names for this song, they all did communicate that it was AA4's Pursuit theme. So, points around.

7. Mario Kart Wii - Daisy Circuit?
    Best track in Mario Kart easily. Also points around

8. Yoshi?s Island - Kamek?s Theme?
    Took yall long enough to get this. But, you did.

9. Super Mario Galaxy - Gusty Garden Galaxy?
    See above.

10. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - Medeus, Shadow Dragon

Everyone got Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Bulu missed it being Medeus, Shadow Dragon.

The Scores

Overall, not a terrible day 1! Here are the current VGM quiz standings SHOULD be:
    Lele - 45
    Koko - 40
    Fini - 40
    Bulu - 38

HOWEVER... Tribe Koko did not successfully have three people DM/PM me. According to the rules, I shouldn't count it at all. However, I've decided on a small amount of leniency - They got 1/3 replies in, so they get 1/3 credit. And with that said, the final day 1 tally is....

Tribe Lele - 45
    Tribe Fini - 40
    Tribe Bulu - 38
    Tribe Koko - 13

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    Day II - Results
    Video Game Music Quiz

The Songs of Day 2

Day 2 Answers! I'm not going to go into depth about the ones no one missed.

1. Mario Tennis Aces - Game Point
    Oh Bulu. Has NO ONE played this? Also, Fini thought this was the Boss theme, which was wrong, but 3 points anyway.

2. Tales of Symphonia - Like a Glint of Light

3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies - Athena Cykes ~ Courtroom Revolutionnaire

4. Dragon Quest III - Fighting Spirit

The Bulus missed this one too. Rabinov must be pissed.

5. Golden Sun - Venus Lighthouse

6. EarthBound/Mother 2 - Onett

7. Duck Hunt - Title Screen

8. Kirby Air Ride - City Trial

9. Pok?mon Stadium 2 - Pok?mon Select

10. Pok?mon FireRed/LeafGreen - Wild Pok?mon Battle

The Scores

So for Day 2:
    Lele - 50
    Fini - 48
    Bulu - 40
    Koko - 0

Which means our scores to date are...

@Lele Tribe - 95
    @Fini Tribe - 88
    @Bulu Tribe - 78
    @Koko Tribe - 13

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    I forgot to post Day 5's here, but they were on Discord. Oh well. also thi
    Day VI - Songs
    Video Game Music Quiz

The Fifth Disaster

you know the drill. Yawn.

Ready for round 6?

Too lazy to post results again today, check Discord.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    Day VII - Songs
    Video Game Music Quiz

Seven

There's 12 songs today! But I'm giving you some extra time. They are still due at 10 PM EDT (so you have 26.5 hours).

Ready for round 7?

Too lazy to post results today, check Discord. Yawn.

Back