• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Where is the best place to train for the elite 4?

mew_rocks

Sell the kids for food
Years
  • Hi. I just started my third file on pokemon leafgreen and was wondering where you guys think the best place to train your pokemon for the elite 4 the first time round. Mine are all around 50-54.

Patamon_Master

thx 2 me 4 my avatar!!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2006
    yeh i got 2 the elite 4 once my strongest was my charizard lvl 54 the rest were all lvl 47 or under

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    The best place to train before the Pokéleague imo, is west from Lavender town. Just use the VS seeker near the the lasses and super nerds.
    Most of them have low leveled Pokémon, but the lass on the bottom should have pretty high leveled Pokémon, like a level 47 Pidgeot.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Actually, what you do is continually beat the E4 to get your Poke levels up before you even go to the Sevii Islands. That way your Pokes are already to go and you will far very well on the Islands and you will be more prepared for the second level of the E4.

BTW - I think having the second level of the E4 is awesome. I sure wish Emerald could have somehow incorporated that.

mew_rocks

Sell the kids for food
    Years
  • It's all good now i've beaten the elite 4. My strategy is vs. seeker all the bikers at the top of cycling road till all my pokemon are lvl 50. Then train on the elite 4. (Even though I lost a lot of money.) Cheers anyway.

Shining Salamence

Master of all things cool
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2011
    i find that the challenge is training for the e4 the second time. I'm trying to level up all my pkmn to 70-80 and I'm not even sure that'll work. *is nervous*

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    If you have a balanced team that is Lv70-80, you should be able to handle the E4 quite easily. Here is what you are going to face:

Lorelei:
    Dewgong (Lv64) - Thunderbolt/Cross Chop
    Piloswine (Lv63) - Surf/Flamethrower/Cross Chop
    Cloyster (Lv63) - Thunderbolt/Cross Chop
    Jynx (Lv66) - Flamethrower/Crunch/Shadow Ball
    Lapras (Lv66) - Thunderbolt/Cross Chop

She has 2 Full Restores and will use them as soon as one of her Pokes drops below 1/3 HP. Cloyster will use Rain Dance, so feel free to use Thunder (100% accurate with RD) instead of Thunderbolt. Jynx is female and will use Attract, be aware. Lapras is a tank, so if you have Toxic, it will help.

Bruno:
    Steelix (Lv65) - Surf/Earthquake
    Steelix (Lv66) - Surf/Earthquake
    Hitmonchan (Lv65) - Psychic/Aerial Ace
    Hitmonlee (Lv65) - Psychic/Aerial Ace
    Machamp (Lv68) - Psychic/Aerial Ace

He also has 2 FR. DO NOT use Flying-type Pokes against the last three, as they are equipped with Rock Slide. Your best bet is to use Aerial Ace with a non-Flying-type or better yet, Gengar with Psychic. It can blow through the last three with ease since it is Immune to 75% of their moves. Be aware though that Hitmonlee has Foresight as wel.

Agatha:
    Gengar (Lv66) - Crunch/Shadow Ball/Psychic
    Misdreavus (Lv65) - Crunch/Shadow Ball
    Crobat (Lv66) - Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Psychic/Rock Throw
    Arbok (Lv68) - Psychic/Earthquake
    Gengar (Lv70) - Crunch/Shadow Ball/Psychic

2 FR. Misdreavus is male and will Attract on you. Crobat is VERY fast and can hit hard. Go with a fast Electric Poke or a Poke that can take a physical and hit back with TB/IB/RS. Arbok abuses Double Team. The second Gengar (Lv70) knows Thunderbolt and Psychic so plan accordingly. Tyranitar with TB owns Agatha.

Lance:
    Gyarados (Lv68) - Thunderbolt/Rock Slide
    Aerodactyl (Lv70) - Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Rock Slide/Surf
    Dragonite (Lv66) - Ice Beam/Dragon Claw
    Dragonite (Lv72) - Ice Beam/Dragon Claw
    Kingdra (Lv66) - Dragon Claw/Earthquake

2 FR. Don't allow Gyarados any time to set up because it will first Thunder Wave, and then Dragon Dance in order to try to sweep you with Earthquake or finish your Poke off with Hyper Beam. Then again, this is the AI so you don't have to worry too much. A quick Electric Poke can handle it easily with its 4x weakness to Thunderbolt. DO NOT use an Electric Poke against Aerodactyl. It has Earthquake and it is one of the fastest Pokes in the game. Use a Water Poke with IB or Surf instead. Both Dragonite go down hard to IB, just be aware that the Lv70 version holds a Persim Berry and knows TB. Kingdra also likes to DD, and is only weak to Dragon-types moves. That said, its Def isn't that great so you can use EQ against it pretty well.

Gary:
    Heracross (Lv72) - Aerial Ace/Flamethrower/Psychic
    Tyranitar (Lv72) - Cross Chop/Earthquake/Surf
    Alakazam (Lv73) - Crunch/Shadow Ball
    Bulbasaur starter:
    Gyarados (Lv73) - Thunderbolt/Rock Slide
    Exeggutor (Lv73) - Flamethrower/Crunch/Aerial Ace/Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
    Charizard (Lv75) - Rock Slide/Thunderbolt/Surf
    Charmander starter:
    Exeggutor (Lv73) - Flamethrower/Crunch/Aerial Ace/Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
    Arcanine (Lv73) - Surf/Earthquake/Rock Slide
    Blastoise (Lv75) - Thunderbolt
    Squirtle starter:
    Arcanine (Lv73) - Surf/Earthquake/Rock Slide
    Gyarados (Lv73) - Thunderbolt/Rock Slide
    Venusaur (Lv75) - Flamethrower/Aerial Ace/Ice Beam/Psychic

FOUR Full Restores. Heracross will use Counter, so either use a weak move to drop its HP down 1/3 before using a power move, or make sure you can OHKO it. Alakazam now has Calm Mind and Shadow Ball so plan accordingly. Tyranitar is a real ***** if you are not prepared. Naturally you would think to bring in a Water Poke, but that would be a mistake since this Tar knows TB. Go with Cross Chop. This Gyara is the same as Lance's. Exeggutor shouldn't pose much of a threat. Arcanine has Overheat, which is a good one shot, and it has Extremespeed that can be bothersome. Charizard knows Earthquake, so don't go running out an Electric Poke against it. Venusaur knows EQ too, but for some reason will never use it. Just roast it. Blastoise is just beginning for a Thunder/Thunderbolt.

It is very lame that when you beat Gary for the SECOND time, he still acts like he was the champion, but he can dream I guess. Don't think it would have been too hard for the developers to change that sequence, but what are you going to do, eh?

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Cross Chop does have a very good crital hit ratio but people should use moves that have good accuracy like 100. Brick break's Power base is 70 and its accuracy is 100.

:t003:Dark Venusaur

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    That only applies to competitive battling. In-game, Cross Chop is much better than Brick Break, especially considering that you can replenish your PP during an in-game battle AND use healing items. Unlike Thunder, Fire Blast, and Blizzard which are only 70% accurate, CC is 80%, which is more reliable. Against the E4, you should definitely use CC over BB.

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • shanecdavis said:
    That only applies to competitive battling. In-game, Cross Chop is much better than Brick Break, especially considering that you can replenish your PP during an in-game battle AND use healing items. Unlike Thunder, Fire Blast, and Blizzard which are only 70% accurate, CC is 80%, which is more reliable. Against the E4, you should definitely use CC over BB.
    I know that *very annoyed*. All I said was that Brick break is good in certain places and like you said with Cross Chop you are right.

Shining Salamence

Master of all things cool
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2011
    You can use my 1st hall of fame team:

L42 Dewgong
    L45 Hypno
    L49 Raichu
    L47 Pidgeot
    L52 Moltres
    L55 Blastoise (If you don'thave blastoise you could always use slowbro)

also, i prefer brick break over Cross Chop, since it's easier to teach your pokemon

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Shining Salamence said:
    You can use my 1st hall of fame team:

L42 Dewgong
    L45 Hypno
    L49 Raichu
    L47 Pidgeot
    L52 Moltres
    L55 Blastoise (If you don'thave blastoise you could always use slowbro)

also, i prefer brick break over Cross Chop, since it's easier to teach your pokemon
    That really doesn't seem resonable to battle with since the highest level Pokemon there is in lv.63 or something like that. But you should show the moves of the Pokemon. Otherwise you really shouldn't put Pokemon's names up there with the levels that are too low to compete in the E4.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Dark Venusaur said:
    That really doesn't seem resonable to battle with since the highest level Pokemon there is in lv.63 or something like that. But you should show the moves of the Pokemon. Otherwise you really shouldn't put Pokemon's names up there with the levels that are too low to compete in the E4.

Actually, SS is taking advantage of weak typing in the E4, so while the level of his Pokes appear to be low, he can still (and allegedly did) defeat the E4. I will assume that replenishing items were used, of course, but that team was thought out pretty well. I don't necessarily agree with his choices or suggest other to follow suit, but it definitely got the job done.
    Patamon_Master said:
    one ilands trust me VS seeker there
    Only battle at One Island if (a) you have not challenged the E4 yet, (b) you challenged the E4 and then got the National Pokedex from Professor Oak, or (c) you have returned Lorelei to the E4 from Four Island and your Pokes are not leveled up enough to handle the "stronger" E4 Pokes. Otherwise, the E4 is THE best place to train your Pokes. One Island is okay to level up with the VS Seeker, but there are just better places (read through this thread) that have already been mentioned that are better.

Fl0W:HHGURU

Used to be pokEMOn UseR =]
    Years
  • I just packed shed loads of revives and full restores with all the money i had earned and then just went full out with my blastoise which was around level 60 i restarted my lg game after beating the e4 and trading my good pokes, i didnt realise there was something after, ill just do it when i go on holiday :laugh:

Back