• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do legendaries die?

CHaRiSMa

Watching Celty chase bad guys
Years
  • Just like the title says. XD

And there's another thing I want to know. If you were a real pokemon trainer would you risk the life of your pokemon to save a friend/relative/stranger.. well anybody?

I would risk my pokemon's life because I would want to save the person.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Well, this certainly is an...unusual topic. o.O

Since many legendaries (E.g. Mew, Ho-oh, Celebi etc.) are kind of like the divine beings of the pokémon world they probably wouldn't die in the conventional sense. Their physical bodies can certainly be damaged, but I'd imagine that they'd be reduced to a state of coma at best (As with the case of Kyogre and Groudon) and would simply revive once they had healed, and the Regis - being artificial beings to begin with - would simply repair themselves (As can, for instance, be seen in Regirock's pokédex data), which is why struggles between legendaries are so destructive to the environment (As was the case with Groudon vs Kyogre and the squabble of the legendary birds).

Mewtwo might be an exception to this as it was genetically engineered by humans and the original Mew DNA might have been damaged in the process. Meh, without any official confirmation one way or the other this is all speculation, though. ^^

As for your second question...probably not. Any pokémon I had raised I would undoubtedly grow attached to (Otherwise I wouldn't bother raising it in the first place), and I certainly wouldn't sacrifice someone I value for just anyone. Even if the person in question was someone important to me, I would probably sooner risk myself, as otherwise it would be a situation of sacrificing someone I love for someone else I love (I.e. A lose/lose situation) and that's not a decision I could really make. .___. Interesting question, though. ^^

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • I don't know. The issue of death never really is explored among Pokemon (except in few instances: Silph Scope, Ghost Pokemon, Pokemon cemetery). So we are never really given an accurate scope of how death is thought of in the series. I'm assuming that it isn't explored because it is too depressing for children's television. In any event I believe that "all things will die" eventually.

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
  • Well actually i have to say that i too had given this topic some thought and at first i actually thought that as it was a show designed for the younger children it would be quite graphic to show an actual death of a pokemon and as far as the T.V shows are concerned there has been o account of any sort of a pokemon death.

However my answer to the question, makes me refer back to the pokemon movie pokemon heroes latias and latios. If anyone can recall i am pretty sure that the town where the gang and Ash were at for this movie, happened to be the place of where latios and latias father died trying to save the village from evil. So i guess there has not been no actual showing of a pokemon death but there has defenitley been a past occassion of a death as this movie has prooven.

~Kipper~

CHaRiSMa

Watching Celty chase bad guys
    Years
  • Well, this certainly is an...unusual topic. o.O

Since many legendaries (E.g. Mew, Ho-oh, Celebi etc.) are kind of like the divine beings of the pokémon world they probably wouldn't die in the conventional sense. Their physical bodies can certainly be damaged, but I'd imagine that they'd be reduced to a state of coma at best (As with the case of Kyogre and Groudon) and would simply revive once they had healed, and the Regis - being artificial beings to begin with - would simply repair themselves (As can, for instance, be seen in Regirock's pokédex data), which is why struggles between legendaries are so destructive to the environment (As was the case with Groudon vs Kyogre and the squabble of the legendary birds).

Mewtwo might be an exception to this as it was genetically engineered by humans and the original Mew DNA might have been damaged in the process. Meh, without any official confirmation one way or the other this is all speculation, though. ^^

Yeah, I agree^^.

As for your second question...probably not. Any pokémon I had raised I would undoubtedly grow attached to (Otherwise I wouldn't bother raising it in the first place), and I certainly wouldn't sacrifice someone I value for just anyone. Even if the person in question was someone important to me, I would probably sooner risk myself, as otherwise it would be a situation of sacrificing someone I love for someone else I love (I.e. A lose/lose situation) and that's not a decision I could really make. .___. Interesting question, though. ^^

You're reply made think. I think I also wouldn't risk my pokemon. When you put that way like ˝sacrificing sb you love for somebody you love as well˝ that really sounds unfair and only that.. If one of my pokemon really was to die it go crazy! I think I just didn't think over the topic enough and just made a stupid reply ^^;;

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • jasonresno said:
    I don't know. The issue of death never really is explored among Pokemon (except in few instances: Silph Scope, Ghost Pokemon, Pokemon cemetery). So we are never really given an accurate scope of how death is thought of in the series. I'm assuming that it isn't explored because it is too depressing for children's television. In any event I believe that "all things will die" eventually.

True about death being too depressing, and I don't really expect the issue to be adressed considering that the dubbers censored the part about Butterfrees dying after they have mated (Which was the main reason why Ash cried so much when he released his) and the Safari Zone warden's gun for the sake of the kiddies. Apparently they haven't heard that many of these kids know how to use the internet and a remote control. xP But I digress, that wasn't the topic here. ^^ "All things will die" certainly seems to apply to most of the pokémon, yes, but what about the ones that aren't organic (And thus not really 'alive' to begin with) like Magnemite, Voltorb, Beldum, their evos and the regis? Or what about ghost pokémon? Also, I'd imagine that Ho-oh (Being a phoenix) would just be reborn after dying, so "all things will die" doesn't seem like a satisfactory explanation to me.

Well actually i have to say that i too had given this topic some thought and at first i actually thought that as it was a show designed for the younger children it would be quite graphic to show an actual death of a pokemon and as far as the T.V shows are concerned there has been o account of any sort of a pokemon death.

However my answer to the question, makes me refer back to the pokemon movie pokemon heroes latias and latios. If anyone can recall i am pretty sure that the town where the gang and Ash were at for this movie, happened to be the place of where latios and latias father died trying to save the village from evil. So i guess there has not been no actual showing of a pokemon death but there has defenitley been a past occassion of a death as this movie has prooven.

~Kipper~

Really? I wouldn't know that one because I haven't seen any of the pokémon movies since...gosh, Spell of the Unown. o.O I'm so out of touch with the series. xD Oh well, I blame it on the writers shoving in so many stupid fillers and squashing the personalities of the characters I used to love. T_T

Still, the Latis have a fundamental difference from other legendaries:

Latias Pokédex Data (Emerald) said:
    They make a small herd of only several members. They rarely make contact with people or other pokémon. They dissappear if they sense enemies.

Emphasis by me. Note the use of the terms 'herd' and 'they', this implies that the latis aren't unique like the other legendaries (Which is also evident in the 'father' reference you mentioned), just extremely rare (Which would also explain why they have genders when other legendaries don't). This being the case, I'd assume that they live and die like ordinary pokémon. I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, just pointing out that this isn't exactly conclusive evidence. ^^

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2009
    I don't think legendaries are immortal, but i presume they live very long lives. They could still be killed I think. :\

Years
  • Well I do not know if legendaries die so I will concentrate on the second question. I think that risking a life of my pokemon for other person I love, really depends on situation I would be in. I mean if my Pokemon would have a chance to survive I think I would risk her's/his life. But if there would be a really hopeless situation I wouldn't. But first, before I'd even think to risk a Pokemon's life, I would see if I can help and save the person who would be in trouble.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2009
    Well I do not know if legendaries die so I will concentrate on the second question. I think that risking a life of my pokemon for other person I love, really depends on situation I would be in. I mean if my Pokemon would have a chance to survive I think I would risk her's/his life. But if there would be a really hopeless situation I wouldn't. But first, before I'd even think to risk a Pokemon's life, I would see if I can help and save the person who would be in trouble.

Well, I wouldn't risk my Pokemon's life just to save people - I would risk my own to save both the people and Pokemon. ;) My Pokemon should come before me, and though they can help, I'll be the one doing all the risking.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2009
    I highly doubt Legendarys die. Since they have been living since the dawn of time (With the exception of Mewtwo). But if there was someone in danger I would try to risk everything to save them

Well, I believe no matter is they're immortal or long-lived, but they can die if they get killed by whatever. I don't think all legendaries were born since the dawm of time: Entei for example is believed to be born after a volcano erupts (from the GBA Pokedex info).
    yes.gif

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Answer to question 1.. Yes they can. All Pokemon can die.
    Answer to question 2... Yes, yes I would. o__o

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Hmm, I think they all do die at some point. Mewtwo in PSA was linked to Blaine, and both were at risk of dying when either separated for too long or if Mewtwo was battling a lot.

Moreover, movie two shows Lugia with a younger Lugia (it's child I believe). Why have children if you are immortal?

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2009
    You raised a very good point [ray.z]. I guess they must die at some point, but we can all agree (right?) that legendaries are just powerful Pokemon who are bounded to do or protect something or someone for all eternity. :)

Back