• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Global Warming. What are you doing to help?

Years
  • Global Warming. It is one of the most important issues of our time. We can help stop it. But what are you doing to help?

Do you turn off lights when there not in use?
    Do you use public transit?
    Do you just think it's not a real problem and ignore it?

Lets hear your opinions!

EDIT: From now on this thred is only for the discussion of how Global Warming can be stopped, or slowed down. Any offtopic posts will be reported. Any postes that say Global Warming is fake, a scam, and soforth, will also be reported. For anyone who wants to discuss how they think Global Warming is a sham may make their own thred. (This only takes effect on SUNDAY APRIL 1ST 2007) Thank you.

Last edited:

Crazy Weavile

Manufacturing a deity
    Years
  • I don't do anything, because human-caused global warming is a big hoax made to ensure that the developing world doesn't develop. The real culprit is the sun- we still aren't as warm as we were during Medieval times. You should really watch The Great Global Warming Swindle...

So, yeah, I see no point in it.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • I don't do anything, because human-caused global warming is a big hoax made to ensure that the developing world doesn't develop. The real culprit is the sun- we still aren't as warm as we were during Medieval times. You should really watch The Great Global Warming Swindle...

So, yeah, I see no point in it.

Likewise, you should really watch that documentary by Al Gore (as much as I don't like politicans, have to go with him on this one) about global warming... great documentary, and how it counters those who claim that global warming is a hoax. 10% of all the scientific community's research paper that talk of global warming, which totals to around 950 papers, and none of them dare to say that the rising level of CO2 does not reflect any of the abnormalities that we see. Strangely enough, up to 54% of Americans do not believe in global warming...

Strange ratio if you ask me... shouldn't the scientific community and the public opinion's ratio of believe vs unbelieve be around the same? Just "slightly" one-sided?

Either way, we switched to those energy saving bulbs, and support the public transit a bit more now. Generally, just try to save power (but certainly not rich enough to say, get our own solar panels or whatever yet)

EDIT: Strangely enough, I remember seeing the Google news the other day when I was just about to surf the web that there's a heading called "4/5 of all Canadians believe in global warming." However, I didn't really read the details of it XD;

Crazy Weavile

Manufacturing a deity
    Years
  • WATER EVAPORATION contributes more CO2 then we do. Human CO2 emissions are like a tiny pimple compared to natural ones, and we're not burning in a fiery inferno yet. Oh, and about that paper... do some research on its censorship and cuts. The ratio of solar activity to heat match PERFECTLY, we aren't doing a thing.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    WATER EVAPORATION contributes more CO2 then we do. Human CO2 emissions are like a tiny pimple compared to natural ones, and we're not burning in a fiery inferno yet. Oh, and about that paper... do some research on its censorship and cuts. The ratio of solar activity to heat match PERFECTLY, we aren't doing a thing.
    Wait. How does water evaporation contribute to CO2 emissions? Water (H20) has no carbon (C) in it as far as I know of.

And I'm curious to know of other natural CO2 emissions. Can you list some?

And besides, as Al Gore said,
    Making mistakes when dealing with nature can have bigger consequences cause our technologies are bigger than the human scale.
    You may think that we aren't having an effect, but we do. CO2 levels in the atmosphere have been rising since the Industrial revolution, which was about the same time we started to burn incredible amounts of fossil fuels for energy.

Strangely enough, I had to watch this for English XD

And it's not just CO2 emissions anyway. We've been cutting down trees, which is slowing down the removal of CO2 from the atmosphere.

Moreover, there's more gases contributing to the enhanced greenhouse effect besides carbon dioxide. Water vapour and carbon monoxide also thicken the "blanket" around the earth.

So yeah, could you perhaps link us to a scholarly article or two? I'm curious to find out more about this, since I was debating the same topic with a classmate the other day. Apparently it's unnaturally large solar flares.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • I watched it for biology.

Well, let's say, Al Gore can't be alright either. I didn't pick a side just because Al Gore said so =x Not that I'm the most interested in EAS, but even if you are to look at it from a skeptical point of view where both sides are lying (aka, assume that the earth heats up from an unknown source and only) there's still more gains to *assume* that it's by humans and not by the sun.

It reduces fossil fuel. Don't tell me that there's a hoax out there somewhere that claims fossil fuel as an unlimited resource. Frankly, most "green energy" don't rely on fossil fuel. We need to get out of fossil fuel eventually anyway, so we might as well do that now even if it's for a slightly mislead reasons.

It's good for the economy that as much as some industries lose a lot, we create a whole new industry out of "green fear." Really, win-win situation if that happens.

I took a look for that video of yours at youtube, and I can't say that I finished watching the whole thing as it's 2 already and I need to sleep... strangely enough, I cannot say how it's obvious that Al Gore got censorship on his side, while these "scientists" are "clearly" speaking the truth either. If we're to doubt Gore's video, then I don't see why we can't doubt this one in the same way.

EDIT: Yes that video is on youtube either... but I think that it's best if the supporters for this video simply don't speak. Their arrogance is simply telling me to never believe in them ever at all... >>; (and what's with the Al Gore video being related to religion and how the two are both hoax now? really... I do not like such the constant implication by the anti-greenhouse people at all in youtube comment page.)

Oh, and this shall be my last post in this thread.. really I lost all the heart for arguing unless I'm 100% sure on the topic through the use of simple science/math that is really obvious XD; and not these debates that will last for years to come on the phD level of things. Since this isn't obvious at all, now that I've stated my points already, I'll really not post here unless I really, really see the urge to post (such as, against extreme biased opinions for any side)

Back to the topic for one last time...

Greenhouse effect or not, it's still good to turn off your lights when you don't need it, really ;p

Last edited:

Crazy Weavile

Manufacturing a deity
    Years
  • I never said finding a different power source is bad; but this is about more than that. Also, you'll experience it fully in one sitting, so get some sleep. Don't try to judge until you've finished it, it won't make quite as much sense.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    My questions still aren't answered. How does water contribute to CO2 emissions? Is the CO2 dissolved in the water, and when it's evaporated, the CO2 is released in the atmosphere? That's understandable, but the ocean is also like a sink for CO2. If it wasn't for it, then we'd have so much more CO2 in the atmosphere.

And just so you know, it's not just developing countries that are being oppressed. Australia hasn't signed the Kyoto protocol as of yet since we would stand to lose a lot of money. So the claims that their development is at risk seems kinda far fetched to me, since Australia is a developed country and it stands to lose as well.

Oh, and I love it when the internetz screams out hoax and conspiracy due to a documentary. But since this may be something decent, I might watch the video another time.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • (just had to post before he really gets off to bed)

Both sides are a valid documentary with their respective amount of scientists "proving" that their side is the complete and total "truth." Both sides point at each other being a hoax. For once, both videos aren't some internet-only product and that both sides got some strongly confirmed authority.

If it's some random website with some "names of scientists" or even magazines, then I'll be skeptical about it... Unless it's a well accepted audio documentary or a reviewed scientific paper in an academic database (aka, not "OMFG TYPE IT IN GOOGLE U'LL FIND IT" type of thing), I'll just cast it aside. Strangely enough, both sides come from these valid sources this time.

viridian doubletongue

the world's greatest thief
    Years
  • WATER EVAPORATION contributes more CO2 then we do. Human CO2 emissions are like a tiny pimple compared to natural ones, and we're not burning in a fiery inferno yet. Oh, and about that paper... do some research on its censorship and cuts. The ratio of solar activity to heat match PERFECTLY, we aren't doing a thing.

What I think you mean, is that water vapour contributes to 95% of greenhous gases. The other 5% being carbon dioxide.

Dr. SmoothSeks

Bow, foolish mortals!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2007
    I do nothing. Absolutely nothing. If it's not happening, there's obviously no point trying to stop it, because it has to start before it can be stopped. If it's happenning, no point worrying about it, because if it's as big as it's supposed to be, then even if all humans made an effort, it still wouldn't be stopped.

It's either too late or not happening. Either way, there's nothing I or anyone else can do about it, so why worry about it?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    It's either too late or not happening. Either way, there's nothing I or anyone else can do about it, so why worry about it?

This mentality wouldn't be such a big deal, if not for the fact that everyone shares it. This whole 'I can't change it on my own so I better contribute to the problem' idea is a very dangerous way of thinking.

Years
  • o_0... This is scary if 4/5 Canadians belive in global warming good. But it dosen't seem like the rest of the world is so enthusiastic.

@Crazy Weavile: Even if water caused most of global warming, whats causing more water to evaporate? Thats when we humans come in.

@Everyone who is doing little or nothing to try to stop global warming: I am BEGGING you guys; please do something to help! If global warming, whatever the cause, continues, costal citys (like mine, Vancouver) everywhere will be devistated.

Oh that gives me a good idea... I want to see who lives in a costal city and who dosen't in this thred. My guess is that the people who live on the coast are more concirned with global warming.

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
  • The fact is that global warming is happening, and has been happening since the beginning of time. The earth goes in stages, from ice age, to warm period, and we are nearing toward another ice age. I don't think we have the right or power to say we should stop a natural process. Not that we could actually anyway. It was going on way before we were here and will be going on long after we're gone. Maybe I'm cynical, but it really just seems like delaying the inevitable.

Rinji

srsly.
    Years
  • Yeah, Starfish Prime is right. This is an absolutely natural process, and we did not cause it. It's unfortunate that humankind is so arrogant as to think that every natural disaster is their fault. The world is going through a natural process, the very one that causes ice ages.

Global warming's not a new thing, it's been going on for thousands of years, and it's nearing it's end, meaning it will become a frozen period in a few thousand years or so.

Like a swing, the earth moves from cold, to hot, to cold again, and to hot again.

This explains it all in a more technical manner: http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
  • You imply that the world is currently warming up, but in the very next sentence, you imply that the world is headed for another ice age. Are you saying that the Earth is currently warming up, cooling down, or what?

Actually, I didn't imply that. That was just a bad worded sentence. What I meant to say was:

The earth currently is in a warming period. In a few thousand years or so, the Earth will cool down once again into another ice age.

There we go.

Back