• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New 7 Wonders

Gunn

horror resident
Years
  • BBC News - Global Vote picks Seven Wonders; ... A non-profit foundation has named the Seven New Wonders of the World at a ceremony in Lisbon, Portugal. The Great Wall of China, Machu Picchu in Peru, Brazil's Statue of Christ Redeemer, the Colosseum in Rome and Jordan's Petra all made the list. The Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza in Mexico and India's Taj Mahal were also picked, but England's Stonehenge and the Eiffel Tower in Paris missed out.
    ___

Interesting. I thought Stonehenge would make the cut. Apparently, it didn't ... Oh, there's also this.

Punishment

Brotherhood of War
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    Shame the ruins of Angkor didn't make it. Guess not to many people know of the hidden "Jewel of the Jungle" yet. Congrats to those who made. Though I havent heard of the one in Brazil. : /

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
  • The article forgot to include "the" in "Christ The Redeemer." It's pretty much a big statue of Jesus. Just think of the Statue of Liberty in the U.S.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • Machu Picchu was one of the originals, I believe? So it should stay on there forever unless it gets destroyed or other things literally beat it out in terms of awe.

I'd have to agree, I would have liked to see Angkor on there. I only know of it cuz' of a game I had for SUper Nintendo; Illusions of Gaia. Angkor Wat was one of the hardest lvls IMO.

The Collesseum and the Great Wall should definetaly be on there as well and am glad that they are. The Mayan ruins and the stonehedge I would have really been happy to see on the list as well. I've heard some pretty interesting stories behind those stones. ;D

I don't see why the Eiffel Tower was even on the list, if any tower it should be the CN Tower, being the currently highest building in existence... or has it been surpassed yet?

Punishment

Brotherhood of War
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    Yeah sad to see why Angkor Wat didn't make it. It is the largest religous monumemt in existance. Not to mention it is also one of the few (if not the only one) still used as a place of worship for Buddhists.

G-Klav

Meh, what should this here say
    Years
  • Machu Picchu was one of the originals, I believe? So it should stay on there forever unless it gets destroyed or other things literally beat it out in terms of awe.

It wasn't one of the originals, as it wasn't known by the ancient world around the Mediterranean.
    Anyway, I think all candidates were worthy wonders.

The original 7 wonders were:

Great Pyramid of Giza (the only one still left)
    Hanging Gardens of Babylon
    Colossus of Rhodes
    Temple of Artemis
    Statue of Zeus at Olympia
    Mausoleum of Maussollos
    Lighthouse of Alexandria

Punishment

Brotherhood of War
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    It wasn't one of the originals, as it wasn't known by the ancient world around the Mediterranean.

Yeah the original wonders were kinda narrowed to only classical Greek and basically European monuments. Well I'm glad they did it and included a variety.

Hmm, I also agree on the Eiffel Tower being a candidate but come on it really cant compete against the likes of the Great Wall.

Back