• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen 2 Problems

Years
    I wanted to restart my Gold/Silver/Crystal games recently, but having had them since they were first released, my games appear to have problems on them.

Both Gold and Silver wont save my game. I start a new game, and save whenever. When I restart the GameBoy, if the power hasnt been on for like, 2 minutes, the file is wiped on both versions.

In crystal, the clock will not work. It ticks along happily in-game and even on the 'Continue, New Game, Options, Mystery Gift' Main Menu. You can see its keeping good time. But while the game is off, the clock stalls, and only starts up again when I next go on. Restarting the game doesnt solve it.

Any solutions?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Well, all I can say is that your internal batteries have died. This is a problem many people who wish to play G/S/C have because it dies over time. I myself have the same problem. How to replace the battery, I have no idea.

demonmike

Missing-Nin
    Years
    Hmm not sure whats up with your crystal, it could be the internet battery, or it could be pirated/rom'd.

For internal battery replacements, follow these instructions I quoted off wiki:

A common problem found in the second generation of games is a problem with the internal battery after roughly six years. The internal battery is located inside of the cartridge which allows the game to save the user's progress. Many people have reported that their games no longer save due to this problem, and any save file that remains before 2006 will be deleted.[citation needed]
    It is possible to fix this, but the cartridge must be opened and the battery must be taken out, and a new battery must be soldered in.[2] The battery model is model CR2025, although a larger CR2032 fits as well and will last longer. An inexpensive replacement battery can be purchased with the same welded tabs and insulating ring already attached such as the Panasonic BSG series (part # BR2032-1F2) available from Digikey [3]. One will need to be able to use a soldering iron to remove the old battery and install the new one. One should get a battery with welded tabs such as the one mentioned above; it is difficult and unsafe to solder directly to a lithium battery

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    In my opinion, don't bother starting crystal. If the clock is already starting to go haywire, it's best to change the internal battery since it might soon share the same fate as your other two. On the upside, I think the batteries are pretty cheap, and if you replace them they will last a few more years

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    You need to get new batteries and remove the old one in the cartridge. ;) Then it should work and save again.

Years
    Hmm not sure whats up with your crystal, it could be the internet battery, or it could be pirated/rom'd.

Erm, first, thanks for the tips, but I wouldnt really know how to solve it, first id need a soldering iron, then other stuff. Anyway, the game isnt pirated, I bought it new ages ago, and had it ever since.

In my opinion, don't bother starting crystal. If the clock is already starting to go haywire, it's best to change the internal battery since it might soon share the same fate as your other two. On the upside, I think the batteries are pretty cheap, and if you replace them they will last a few more years

Why not crystal, the Gen II games are probably the best I think. And, the problem with the clock, it is anything to do with the internal battery? On sapphire, I had a similar problem, the clock stopped as the internal battery had run dry, although it did fix itself after a few weeks. But crystals been like that for a while.

If the problem is related to the Gold/Silver problem, or not, then is there anywhere I could send them to be replaced, even if it does cost money? Thanks

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    That's exactly what I mean. No point starting a new game yet because the battery is likely to die soon. The internal battery in G/S/C is always running, since it calculates the clock. If your Crystal version's clock is starting to mess up already, it means the battery is running low. That's what happened to your other two games. Gen2 is the best, indeed =)

Just go to any place that changes clock batteries with all 3 of your cartridges and they might change it for you. It would erase any save file you currently have on them, but add a good few years of life before you need to change them again =)

https://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=446340&topic=33872012 Read the first few posts in this topic if you want a better idea, you could also print it off if the guys at the battery place need to know what to do =)

And yes, I know I am abusing the =) smiley, =)

lostprophetsown

chatot,lucario and lance lover
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2013
    thats definatly the internal battery i had same problem i think they sell them at woolworths,argos and ebay altho i wouldnt recommend it unless they have high + feedback

Years
    You could just download a Crystal ROM and play it on an emulator. It's legal because you've already bought the game.

Years
    You could just download a Crystal ROM and play it on an emulator. It's legal because you've already bought the game.

Fair enough, to be honest, I already have downloaded Visual Boy Advance and Gold and Silver, as soon as I found they wouldnt work, but Crystal wont work properly :(. Its a good idea, but I just feel playing them on a GameBoy rather than the computer made the games what they were, and would prefer to make them work again. Nice idea though. Oh, and hopefully, Ill be buying the 3 batteries tomorrow, so I hope to have them working pretty soon. Would anyone like me to post any pictures up of my working? So I could put on this site a specific, to the point guide, rather than the external links already here?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    If you feel like it, go ahead. I don't use the actual carts any longer, since they don't fit in the DS, I just emulate them onto it. Super backscreened GBC games kick ass

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2008
    that happened to my silver, my crystal is still like new tho (tho its only a matter of time b4 i wont be able to save it again lol) i dont wanna get a new battery tho, its kinda pointless its just a game

Years
    Right, quick update, I bought 3 of the CR2032 batteries, and hopefully might get them installed today, and im going to go for the soldering approach, dont wanna risk slicing thorugh my cart!

Anyway, I read somewhere, that the battery isnt the only problem. Apprently the oscillator can also pack up, pausing the time when the power isnt on, like my Crystal. Im still gonna replace the battery, itll go soon anyway, but if that is the problem, could it have happened on my Gold/Silver? I cant tell atm the moment, cuz everytime i switch the power off it wipes the game so i cant keep track of the clock.

Anyone know where to buy oscillators? And what oscillator it would be?

Years
    Good luck, post back if you get it working =)

So, here I am, posting back. There all working, eventually. I unsoldered the tabs and batteries from all 3, then tried to cut and pull away the tabs but they wouldnt come off. So I found some thin stips of metal, which did solder after cutting and adding flux to them. Bending them in the right shape worked, as by 'over' bending the top piece, it holds the battery in with no problems, or tape.

Gold and Crystal worked no problems after the first solder, but i had accidentally shorted out the battery component in the silver, so by unsoldering and re-doing it, it now works. All are keeping the save files and the real-time clock is working in all. Thanks for the tips people. And if anyone has the same problems and wants any tips, I can give some, because following the instructions doesnt always work. Thanks again.

Ampremas_tortoise

Because turtles are overrated.
    Years
    So, here I am, posting back. There all working, eventually. I unsoldered the tabs and batteries from all 3, then tried to cut and pull away the tabs but they wouldnt come off. So I found some thin stips of metal, which did solder after cutting and adding flux to them. Bending them in the right shape worked, as by 'over' bending the top piece, it holds the battery in with no problems, or tape. Gold and Crystal worked no problems after the first solder, but i had accidentally shorted out the battery component in the silver, so by unsoldering and re-doing it, it now works.

Ummmm... What's wrong with tape? You could have used electrical tape to hold the batteries to the tabs. I did that with mine and it's holding and works great... and it'll be easier to replace the battery when it runs out next time.... because you'll have to unsolder the tabs again.....

Years
    Ummmm... What's wrong with tape? You could have used electrical tape to hold the batteries to the tabs. I did that with mine and it's holding and works great... and it'll be easier to replace the battery when it runs out next time.... because you'll have to unsolder the tabs again.....

I understand what your saying, tape would work fine. When I used some it DID hold, but went abit tacky and may have come loose. The new tabs i made arent actually soldered to the battery, just to the board. The tabs are 'over-bent' so that when the battery slots in the gap, the tab is lifted, and will pressure the battery down, so it wont fall out or slip. Also, because the batteries are slotted in, when they run out again, I could just open the cart, slip out the battery, place in a new one, and itd work, in less than 5 minutes. I can post a picture of the connection if anyone is confused, or wants to know more on how to do it. No more soldering required, ever!

Back