• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 21st Century Language in D/P

Tentachu

Movie Making Expert
Years
  • I have noticed a lot of 21st century language in D/P (examples include 'noob' and 'owned'). What are your views on this?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I've been noticing them too. XD I'm rather amused, and I like the addition. I love seeing terms like these in games, it just...modernizes them? I don't even know what to call it, but it kinda shows the localizers are paying attention to what's "in," I guess.

Of course, in a couple years when I come back and replay the games...I'll probably think it's stupid. XD;

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    This is definite proof that Nintendo sort of "listens" to us fanboys. Phrases such as "for the win", noon, owned etc. all there, and I'm honestly not surprised. XD Nintendo has even made fun of Microsoft with Super Paper Mario...

Dragon boss in Super Paper Mario said:
    CTRL ALT DEL! C:/ run insult generator

...and even Sony with their "massive damage" quote in Star Fox Command.

I was talking about this with Forest Grovyle a while ago, and she showed me that in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, two Hammer Bros. were being controlled and speaking in 1337speak. XD Like "PWNAGE IS TEH NOT ENOUGH, MUST PWN BROS MOAR" etc.

Yes, Nintendo is definitely what we consider "in". XD

Sprite

The one and only.
    Years
  • I think its awesome! =D
    So far, I've only hear 'noob' and 'owned'.
    Well, my rival said something close to that when I battled him at the League, but I forgot what it was. xD

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
    Years
  • It's a good addition. The Pokemon Characters are way to educated in other games. Atleast they are making the games a little more kiddish.

Canthinkofaname

The One With No Name
    Years
  • Originally Posted by Dragon boss in Super Paper Mario
    CTRL ALT DEL! C:/run insult generator

that, i found hilarious.
    anyway, i too think this stuff is funny. when i first got to oreburgh and that guy took me to the gym, he was classic. "ill take you to the gym so you can get a badge. you dont want people calling you a noob do you?" that was awesome. and this one trainer after i won, "i cant believe i just get owned by a noob."
    i havent seen it, but my friend says theres a guy who says, "man, i just got served by a kid", although i havent seen that one yet

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    I noticed those to but the word I see the most is Nifty!

EDIT: The Newest one I saw was When I beat a hiker and he said he Got SERVED!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2007
    I really was caught off guard but I think it's a nice addition. It's a little annoying but at least Nintendo isn't doing everything in shorthand. E.g.: zOMG PWNT by a n00b?! WTF!

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • OMG, I absolutely cracked up when the kid in Oreburgh said "noob" It's really awesome seeing Nintendo starting to get in on 1337 sp33k.

Back