• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

30 Days of Worldbuilding

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    DAY THIRTY(!!) - DISASTERS
    Time to go out with a bang! What sorts of disasters does your world face? Natural or otherwise. Your world is a dynamic place with shifting forces and conflicting issues where inevitably something's gotta give.

When it comes to natural disasters, these are most likely a humbling force to reckon with for the people on your world. How can you stop an erupting volcano? A gale of wind and rain? The sea standing up like a wall and falling upon the shore? The Earth shaking and breaking beneath you? The immense power of these events are often attributed to the wrath of deities, meant to remind humanity of its place within the universe. If these events are often enough though, and feel like an inevitability, then the people who live in the path of these events eventually may develop measures to survive or protect their home. We have buildings balanced on springs nowadays, basements built into homes to hide from tornadoes, my friend in California became distressed that I would put an object on a shelf because she was so used to that being a hazard.

Regarding more man-made disasters, there are many kinds with many levels of impact, some subtle, taking generations to manifest, some immediately obvious. Ecological disasters destroy habitats and thin populations of creatures that either directly effect our reliance on those animals, or create a ripple effect down the foodchain to an animal that does. Lack of sanitary efforts can create a health crisis that effects a huge population. Poisoning a water supply either on accident or on purpose can have substantial effects since it's one of our base necessities. Then there's the disasters of nuclear meltdowns that seem like a curse placed on those involved, striking them later in life with health problems that cut them short.

Your world may deal with issues of similar effect, such as magical storms, alien spores, a zombie apocalypse. The people in your world may be powerless in some instances to stop these events, but they definitely wont take it laying down so it's important to think hard about these events, the situations they create, and what it's like to have such an event on your mind in this world.

It's the end of the world and we know it, and I feel fine so…

GET BUILDING!​

And that's a wrap on the 30 Days! For the remainder of the Multiverse's trial period, anyone who wants to hop in with this and complete as many of these prompts they like is still welcome to, and thank you to those who stuck with it from beginning to end! :)

As for what comes next, like Cutiefly mentioned I proposed doing a weekly challenges sort of thing in the Feedback thread here, will work on getting that up and running next. And also just in general, I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with Multiverse as of late! Just been doing some things in other forums on top of life - I'd love to develop my own world more, keep up with everyone else's worlds and help generate more activity but I just find very little time to dedicate here lately; hopefully I can jump back in and catch up with everything soon. I am glad we have some great regulars around to keep the MV afloat regardless!

Back