• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen 20 Memories of #Pokemon20 - Day 7: Here comes Generation Five

Years
My reaction when Black & White were first announced was like "damn this looks like an interesting generation" after seeing the CoroCoro scans. I even recall the moment the silhouettes of Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott were revealed and there was a lot of speculation about what their names would be, but I'm happy with what we got.

It's so amazing that this year will be marking the 6th anniversary of the 5th Generation, and both paired games were worth playing with the darker story and the "reboot" attempt.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
My gosh, all those pre-release images bring back memories. I remember how impressed people were with the full-bodied back sprites. It's something I had forgotten about since 3D has since become the series norm, but the battle graphics of gen 5 were actually pretty revolutionary for Pokémon back then.

I also remember on another forum how people were feeling confused at Cheren and Bel's names, but then someone just quietly mentioned how in their language they meant "black" and "white" and everyone was just so amazed! I don't really know why, but that really stuck with me after all these years.

I really did love BW's pre-release period. There were so many new Pokémon so there were a lot of new reveals leading up to the games' release. And even then it left a good number of them secret for players to discover for themselves. There was also something quite appealing about getting silhouettes beforehand. I can't really put my finger on it, since a full image reveal but with no name or Type can still lead to discussion and speculation, but I enjoyed seeing people try to fill out the silhouettes and speculate off of that.

Back