• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: A Guide to Pokémon GO

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Ah, thank you for confirming the egg hatching steps, I was hoping it would also work if it was running as a background process, but I don't think so :(

It would be neat if we could compile a list of Pokemon Gyms in areas and the like, but that sounds a lot of effort!

Years
I'm so hyped, I've been waiting for this game for soooooo long and although it hasn't come out in Europe just yet all this coverage has got me really excited. Some people on the internet have given this game some hate cause it doesn't reflect how the trailer portrayed it but tbh I think it looks amazing and because of the sheer scale of this game I think we have to give Niantic a lot of credit.

Also just wondering if it was my imagination or if it was actually confirmed that at some point every Pokemon would be available in Go? :)

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
Honestly this is the best guide I've seen written for GO at this point. Off to recommend it to all the newbies we've been helping out recently! Thank you for writing this!!

Also just wondering if it was my imagination or if it was actually confirmed that at some point every Pokemon would be available in Go? :)

Yup! They talked about it at E3 that only Kanto Pokemon would be available upon release since it would make sense - as 20th anniversary after all. Each generation after Kanto will be added later through updates. Hope it's soon though since a lot of people are catching 60 pokemon in one day already...

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
So I've got a question I can't seem to figure out. My starter pokemon, Charmander, requires 25 Charmander candies. How am I supposed to get those? I'm guessing this isn't like the original games where you couldn't find them in the wild. Are they just really rare? And do Charmanders spawn in a certain type of locale, i.e. Psyduck shows up near bodies of water?

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
So I've got a question I can't seem to figure out. My starter pokemon, Charmander, requires 25 Charmander candies. How am I supposed to get those? I'm guessing this isn't like the original games where you couldn't find them in the wild. Are they just really rare? And do Charmanders spawn in a certain type of locale, i.e. Psyduck shows up near bodies of water?

Charmanders can be found in the wild and hatched from eggs!
I got my charmander from an egg, and a couple of wild ones are loitering near the park near my house!
Also, transferring pokemon to professor willow gives you 1 candy of that evolution line (though you forfeit the pokemon)

And yep, types do depend on location I'm pretty sure :) ! Go exploring with some friends and try to catch something cool :D

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 7, 2016
Okay so evolved Pokemon GENERALLY have higher CP, but what's the benefit of evolving when you can also just level up your regular unevolved Pokemon a bunch of times? Does an evolved Pokemon have a higher bottom threshold for minimum CP? Is it better to evolve a Pokemon with higher CP or is their CP reset upon evolution?

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
Years
I haven't had much time to explore yet myself, so this was pretty helpful! At least when I'm at a PokeStop I'll know what to do, instead of poking around cluelessly. One of mine is a church, so I feel like that will be kinda awkward, but hey! I also didn't know about the teams matching with Legendary Birds. My trainer's outfit is mostly yellow, but I think I'll be joining Blue. oops.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I got my charmander from an egg, and a couple of wild ones are loitering near the park near my house!
Also, transferring pokemon to professor willow gives you 1 candy of that evolution line (though you forfeit the pokemon)

And yep, types do depend on location I'm pretty sure :) ! Go exploring with some friends and try to catch something cool :D

Thanks for the response. I actually found out they could be caught in the wild later that evening after I posted this. I caught a Squirtle later that evening (saw it was nearby while playing Overwatch and went on a journey around the area of my apartment complex only to find it after I had given up within 50ft of my door), and I just caught another one today. Unfortunately, as I'm near the Puget Sound in Washington, I am doubtful I'll find any Charmanders, I can probably find some when I visit family back in Southern California. Along with dirt and rock type Pok?mon. That whole place is a desert and it's always catching fire.

Anyway, thanks again!

Years
The main question I still have is how CP is related to and affected by evolutions.

If I have an Oddish, for instance, with 100 CP, and I evolve it into a Gloom let's say it now has 210 CP. In general, we see that sort of increase, though I don't know what the actual percentage increase may be.

But.

That Gloom with 210 appears to have a "CP max" or a "cap" to its level. Perhaps that cap is 400.

Now. Counter proposal: If I have a 180 Oddish that I evolve into a 290 Gloom, will that 290 CP Gloom have a HIGHER CP max/cap?

Another way to phrase the question would be: When I choose to evolve a higher CP duplicate rather than a lower CP, do I gain access to a higher CP cap on the ensuing evolution? Or by evolving the higher CP base Pokemon am I just that much closer to its CP cap once I reach its final evolution?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 16, 2019
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 8, 2024
I've just tried to download the app on the phone and I get a message saying that my device is not compatible. I found out that it only works on modern phones. I also found that wi-fi tables that save me from getting a 2nd phone are not a good idea as you walk about. Do they sell a tablet which takes a phone simcard and receives the signal? If not there must be a way.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
Ah, thank you for confirming the egg hatching steps, I was hoping it would also work if it was running as a background process, but I don't think so :(

It would be neat if we could compile a list of Pokemon Gyms in areas and the like, but that sounds a lot

New updates on Pokemon Go.
Just visit the below given links to know about new strategies tips and tricks. Check out now!

sh.st/LfIPu
sh.st/LfUCs
sh.st/Lsrfc

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016

New hot news about Pokemon Go.

New updates on Pokemon Go.
Just visit the below given links to know about new strategies tips and tricks. Check out now!

sh.st/LfIPu
sh.st/LfUCs
sh.st/Lsrfc

bobandbill

one more time
Years
BUMP

Hey guys, I figure the GO Guide article could use an update. Stuff like adding in the Eeveelution nickname method, linking in the article about appraisal, updates to the tracking section, etc.

Please post anything you feel is currently missing so I can include it in an edited version!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Finally got around to updating the article. Again, let me know if there's more that could be added.

Back