• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: The Everyday Legendaries: Dunsparce

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I LOVE DUNSPARCE

It's the cutest thing and actually surprisingly useful; both times I used it it was the MVP of my team. I don't regret seven days hunting it in Silver at all. It's an underappreciated Pokémon and I think maybe my second favourite Pokémon (or at least top 5). One thing that midly terrifies me is it's length, because it's so big (in my head I never imagined it being longer than 70 centimeters or something). Not sure if I'd want to own one in real life... Maybe a dwarf Dunce.

Nice article. Gives some well-deserved love to this Pokémon. :)

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Dunsparce is my favorite, but it seems most articles I've read about its origin leave out the fact that its design is a pun. In north-eastern Japan, the tsuchinoko has another name: bachi hebi (bee-snake). (I assume the name refers to its stubby tail that, in relation to its plump body, resembles a bee's stinger.) That's why Dunsparce looks so much like a bug -- the creators fused a bee with a snake.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Another fun fact, its classification of "Land Snake" is a mistranslation.

Tsuchinoko means "child of hammer" or "hammer's spawn," referring to the similarity between its shape and a traditional Japanese mallet (tsuchi):
    41jDQudg%2BXL._SX355_.jpg
    tsuchinoko_31.jpg

In the Japanese games, Dunsparce is classified as the "Tsuchi Hebi" Pokémon. Although tsuchi can be translated as land, given what Dunsparce is based on, it should've been classified as the "Hammer/Mallet Snake" Pokémon (although, if you ask me, "Bee Snake" would've caused a lot less confusion).

One thing that midly terrifies me is it's length, because it's so big (in my head I never imagined it being longer than 70 centimeters or something). Not sure if I'd want to own one in real life... Maybe a dwarf Dunce.

I prefer imagining all Dunsparce being the size of those from the anime episode "The Dunsparce Deception."

PUuYO.jpg

Last edited:
    Back