• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] 3D Pokemon Works

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Hi, I'm an amateur 3D artist currently making a few Pokemon models; I'm intending on using them to create an action game with Pokemon characters, as well as just releasing the source files for people to use them in any other games or 3D programs they feel like.

Zangoose is the most near completion. I tried to make it as close to the official looks as possible with the sources I had, and it's mostly finished except for some fixes to the textures (mainly removing the noticeable lines around the seams) and adding some more facial expressions.

The Mewtwo seen next was an attempt to take the classic artwork and Super Smash Bros Melee version of Mewtwo and mix it with taller, more imposing look from the movies and recent games. Aside from missing textures it also needs to have bones applied before it can be used.

The last thing here, the Lopunny, is the most divergent thing I did, and pretty incomplete. It's intended for an action game, so for the purposes of animation it's a little taller, and has hands and feet to strike with / put weight onto. It's also a very simple design so it wasn't the most time-consuming thing to make.

That's it. Feel free to say whatever so I can follow up with replies to inflate my postcount and start putting images in-line with the posts.

Xia

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    Zangoose's claws could use an edge loop. Just one or two, to make the nails a bit more curved. They just look like cones now. And what program do you model these in?

COOLTRAINER♂

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Yeah I think you're right - I haven't paid too much attention to those for a while since they looked decent enough and my focus has been on tweaking and fixing the shape of the body several times to make it more accurate. I'll have to fire up Pokedex 3D and study the official model.

Most of the time I use 3DS Max for this stuff. Zangoose was taken into 3D-Coat for the textures though, because it was waaaay easier to do the UV-mapping in there and paint the patterns along his face and arms on top of the mesh instead of drawing the texture map in a 2D graphics application.

Reactions: Xia

COOLTRAINER♂

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Thanks, I've gone back and remade the claws to be more accurate to the official design and started working on additional faces an-oh my god zangoose what happened

Adin Terim

Absolutely Insane
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    Nice stuff. I've tried my hand at 3D modeling (and failed) and I have to give it to you that your stuff looks good. I love the Lopunny render, it looks like it could be made out of clay.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    These are, I mean, just.. wow. This is crazy stuff. Awesome.

I don't have much in the way of critiquing, since I have no damn idea how to do this kind of work; but I do have a few questions.

Can you tell me what program(s) you use to make these? And in which way do you determine what Pokemon to render in 3D? Are you just using your favorites? Or did you pick Pokemon that play to your strengths as a 3D artist?

And lastly, did you do any kind of art like sculpture or digital art before moving on to 3D modeling?

Thanks. :)

WAS

Years
  • These are pretty darn awesome! I don't know the first Zangoose Pokemon but I like him, and I like the bright cell-shaded sort of look he has to him. Mewtwo is also cool. Keep these up.

You should do a Charizard in that style. :3

COOLTRAINER♂

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    3DS Max is the main tool for this I use. Playing to favorites is half the reason for what I've done (Also because something like Lopunny is an incredibly easy design made up of a few simple shapes connected to each other) as well as the lack of availability of any better models for them. I used to do pixel art for a few years when I was younger before I decided to start learning 3D graphics about 2 1/2 years ago since it was far faster and achieved much greater results than in 2D.

Before Pokedex 3D came out a lot of Pokemon only had an offical model that could be extracted from Battle Revolution (Pokepark Wii if you were lucky), which ranges from okay for ones newly added in D/P and select others to very poor quality models ported from the Gamecube and even Nintendo 64 titles in some cases. PBR Zangoose in particular is totally inaccurate to how it looks in XY and game / anime artwork. So I figured I'd get a step up before the Pokedex/XY models are publicly ripped and released from the game.

Last edited:
    Reactions: WAS

COOLTRAINER♂

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Man I would've liked to have posted some more recently but I've been pretty busy these past few weeks. On the upside I have managed to spam post enough to insert images.

In the meantime, I've been working on another project involving this Blaziken model. This model isn't original - it's originally from the game Pokepark Wii - but I've made some edits to the model along with totally reconstructing the rig; and creating new animations by hand, which is my favorite part of the process.

KAysTsL.gif

Back