• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] 3DS ROM Repackaging

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    Hello all.

I was interested in making some changes to Pokemon Y. I have installed the following tools on my PC to do so:

- DotNet 3DS Toolkit v1.4.6
    - HackPack Eng V12
    - HackPack Eng V9
    - PK3DS

Using GM9 I was able to get the .CXI of Pokemon Y transferred to my Computer. I proceeded to unpack the .CXI file using DotNet 3DS Toolkit. After getting all the necessary files in the folder, I was able to make the desired changes to the game using PK3DS. However, this is where I'm having issues.

Whenever I try to repack the files as a CIA or 3DS file using DotNet 3DS Toolkit, the file never shows up even though the program says "Done". Since I had issues with this, I swapped over to HackPack V12 and repeated the process in a new folder (unpacked the .CXI file using HackPack and had all the files in the folder with the application). While I had no issues decrypting and making edits, I still can't seem to repack it into a .CIA or .3DS as the program claims. With HackPack v12 I ran into several issues with repackaging.

It had claimed that I was missing some .dll files and my Visual Studios was out of date/missing components to run through the process. After an hour or two scouring the net for answers, someone from the GBATemp forums claimed that they had the same issue that I was having, and they had installed the missing files from a website and put it in the folder where the HackPack V12 program was located. I tried this myself and the program no longer gave me the missing .dll file error, however it now says "the application was unable to start correctly 0xc00007b".

So after even more reading on various forums, someone had claimed that they had no issues recompiling changes when they used an earlier version of HackPack, since the V12 was giving various errors. They claimed that using the V9 program allowed them to get the desired output file. So I installed HackPack V9 from Asia81's Github link to see if that would fix the issue. However, this ended up giving me the same issue as before; either no output file after running the program or it spits out a <filename_edited>.3ds file with 0kbs.

Could anyone please help me out with this ordeal? I spent all day yesterday trying to understand what went wrong. I tried looking up YT videos on the process, but everything that Asia81 linked in their guide has been set to private (?) or deleted from the internet; its extremely frustrating. Any pointers or personal experiences regarding this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance =)

Last edited:
    Back