• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd, 4th & 5th generation PkMn GBC styled sprites by COMBOY

Status
Not open for further replies.

COMBOY

Pokémon Crimson & Navy
Years
  • I'm making those sprites for my game proyect with Pokemon Essentials, I've used official sprites as basis to create those GBC styled sprites:

PKMN8bitsprites.png

and also their shinies:

PKMN8bitspritesshiny.png

Well, the main reason of why I'm showing you those sprites is because I need some external help to finish the PkMn sprites from 3rd to 5th generation for my proyect, I was looking for more sprites in Internet but I've just found the famous RGB styled sprite sheet and a few good sprites in Deviantart. but I need more help.

Please, I would really appreciate you.
    Crimson-animated.gif

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Grotle, Torterra, Chimchar, Monferno, Infernape, Prinplup, Empoleon, and Reshiram. All of these guys are way too forced. They're barely fitting inside the boundaries and the detail is lost. Though all the others are quite well done.

EDIT: Oh, and I couldn't see the shinies before. Shiny Torchic looks like some horrible color inverse of the original.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    There's a lot of scale discrepancy and proportional anomalies with the GSC style here.

In order to convert any new, large sprite to GSC, you're going to have to adjust their proportions. Otherwise you get the resulting loss of detail and features seen with most of the big guys here. Some of the smaller Pokémon like Treecko needn't be so large either because you've just gone and reduced the palette of the RSE sized sprite.

You're also incredibly overusing dithering on certain sprites where it's not necessary and a small amount of white space will suffice, while some of the shading taken directly from the GBA/DS sprites can stand to be re-done closer to the GBC style (stop using big splotches of black pixels as shading when that colour should be reserved for outlines.)

Game Freak's artists knew they weren't going to get detailed shading out of 4 colours so they stuck to making expressive sprites proportioned so they had clear and distinguishable features with some use of coloured shading where the palette allowed for it (colour accuracy comes first), moderate amounts of white highlight and a very rare use of black dithering.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think you need to have better palette choices as well, for example, your Groudon. You could make the colour for its eyes more useful by adding it on for shading it. Yellow may look like it doesn't fit, but it will.

Like GFA said, the Shiny Torchic's colour is a horrible inverse, why would the highlights be darker than it's base colour(you used orange as a highlight and light orange as a base colour)? Surely you should use a brighter orange or white even.

And like The 100 Mega Shock said, you are overusing the dithering method and style. For example,Grotle's bush would look more impressive if you shaded it like the current sprites, it'll make it look more natural.
    Spr_4d_388.png

File:Spr_4p_388.png

COMBOY

Pokémon Crimson & Navy
    Years
  • Thank you guys for your comments. As you can see, I'm just a rookie in spriting, but it's also evident that gen 4 and 5 pokemon are so detailed to make them as GSC sprites, however, I can count on your opinions to do them more accurate. :)

644-Zekrom.png
    644-Zekromback.png

I've just finished Zekrom recently, and remembering your advices, I've applied a few shading into him, but I'm still thinking that big legendary pokemons had to be made with their original structure instead of drawing them as big head potatoes trapped in a little square. But what do you think?
    Crimson-animated.gif

Years
  • Like i have said before, you're still lacking those better palette choices, you don't need to have a second colour if the second colour is just going to be for little details such as the eye for Zekrom.

I'll use Crobat as an example,
    Crobat has yellow eyes, but in its G/S/C sprite, it is white because the yellow is little detail. It wasn't necessary for them to use yellow if it was just for the eyes.
    Spr_5b_169.png

Spr_2s_169.png

As you can see, they cleverly used the white and black to make its eyes.

Years
  • Like Logiedan and The 100 Mega Shock said before, you overuse dithering.
    And you use different colors for small details, like you did with Zekrom. If you'd do its eyes and the tip of its head using other colors, you'd have one free color slot, which can be filled with a shade of Zekroms grey, like they did with Chansey for example:
    Spr_2g_113.png

Another thing is the size. Empoleon is as big as Victini right now. Look up the size of the Pokémon you want to resize, look up another one with almost the same size, put them next to each other, and give the devamp a proper size before you start devamping them.

Years
  • Thread is closed due to thread being older than one month. Please make another thread if you'll want to make another showcase.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back