• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] MissingNo. and the Creatures in the Cracks

MissingNo. and the Creatures in the Cracks

MissingNo. and the Creatures in the Cracks

Through a well known oversight, the glitch Missingno. can be encountered through normal gameplay in the Generation 1 Pokémon games without cheating devices or tampering, changing the face of the fr…

punishedfelix

Banned
Years
    • Age 31
    • they
    • now
    • Seen Jul 6, 2021
    In this article, we explore the emergence of the famous glitch Pokémon MissingNo., and how this strange blocky creature changed how the fans interacted with Pokémon forever. Here, I investigate many questions on the subject, like where MissingNo. comes from, how Poké-mania and the internet reacted with glitches, and who is more powerful - Mewtwo or MissignNo.

It's the first part of my series "Machines and Pokémon", where I explore across many Pokémon games and regions how different machines, like the games, the players and society at large - and how they all interact with the structures of Pokémon.

Let me know what you think! Thanks for reading!

Years
  • Going through this now, and it's a really good read so far. I honestly forgot so much of Missingno since it's been soo long since I last encountered it.

Due to other bugs, the Missingno. may continue attacking after being caught. It might transform into a Ditto or Rhydon after capture if the Pokédex is not set up properly.

I had no idea about this, or completely forgot!

Years
  • This is a captivating deep-dive into the impact of some of the very quirky features in the first generation of Pokémon games, and a must-read for anyone interested in rom hacking. I hope to read it a few more times.

Back