• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A dumb question: What is special attack?

JKLAZ

FireHeart and Kale are Awesome
Years
  • Well how do you tell if one is a special move?

Some of my guys have a really high sp attack and i dont know wich moves to use

EDIT: does it mean physical,other, and special?

Detox

Moves that require you to touch the opponet(ie. meteor mash,body slam) are physical

Moves that dont(ie. Signal beam Aeroblast ) are special. or you could check Serebii's attack dex

JKLAZ

FireHeart and Kale are Awesome
    Years
  • Yeah i knew about physical and special but i didnt realize that speacial attacks were actually related to your sp. attack stat. thanks

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
  • Pre D/P, Dark, Dragon, Electric, Fire, Grass, Ice, Psychic and Water attacks were counted as Special Attacks, and their power was based off the Sp. Atk. stat. Now, in D/P, any type of move can be either, check it's icon in you're Pokemon's summary. If it's got a red icon with a yellow-explosion-thingy it's physical, and uses the attack stat, and if it's a blue icon with a ripple in it, it's a special attack, using the sp. atk. stat. The beige icon indicates that the attack doesn't do damage.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    All Pokémon have six statistics (colloquially called "stats") which affect their performance in battle. These are HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. In the first generation games, Special Attack and Special Defense were combined into one statistic called Special.

Special Attack: Similar to Attack, determines the power of a Pokémon's special attacks.
    Hope these helps!!!!

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Is your Pokemon punching an opponent?
    If YES, he is performing a Physical Attack. If NO, proceed to next question.

V

Is your Pokemon shooting lazers?
    If YES, he is performing a Special Attack. If NO, he is either performing a Support Move, or is slacking off.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    Is your Pokemon punching an opponent?

V

If YES, he is performing a Special Attack. If NO, he is either performing a Support Move, or is slacking off.

Very creative there,i think he will understand^_^"!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Is your Pokemon punching an opponent?

V

LOL. xD I'm quoting that. :D

I do wonder though, how does one decide exactly what is physical and special (without using the internet for info)?
    To me, something like Meteor Mash (said by PhantomSyndrome here to be physical) sounds like something where the Pokemon makes meteors rain down from the sky onto the opponent. It also makes me think of mashed potato.

Cyndaquil

'lo.
    Years
  • Kohei :3

How about i.e. Fire Punch? It may cause burn and it's fire stuff, i.e. special. But it's a punch, can you get any more physical? :\

Back