• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Map] A Few General Hacking Questions

Years
  • I have a few different questions that don't really warrant making half a dozen new topics:

1. When adding tiles in Advance Map, I've been told you're only really supposed to use pallets 6-11. Are these 6 pallets universal throughout the game, or does each tileset have it's own independent 6 pallets to work with?

2. I'm hoping to add a day/night system in the game (Fire Red), but I'm not looking to make a Real Time Clock system. I'm just looking to make a simple system where it is only either day or night (and tinted as such in the overworld), and is switched between the two with a variable or flag. Is there an easy way to do this, or a tutorial for this sort of thing?

3. When changing the name of a trainer or Pokemon, will it overwrite data if the new name is longer than the old one?

4. Likewise in AdvanceMap, will lengthening the name of a location overwrite data?

5. In AdvanceMap, will changing the size of a map overwrite data?

6. Does there exist a tool to quickly transfer Pokemon data from one ROM to another? (stuff live moves and stats, not sprites)

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    I know #6, and that's no, unfortunately. However for sprites, it's pretty simple to move them from one rom to another because they're already indexed and fit.

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2022
    Ive heard that you're supposed to use pallets 7-12 for tileset 1 and up, the tileset under the tileset 2 section in amap, and 0-6 if you are messing with tileset 0, by default under the tileset 1 section.

And, if I understood the question, there is no universal pallets unless you are using the same tileset for the same maps. ( if you change pallets in tileset 2, these changes does not apply to to tileset 3 or any other tilesets.

I hope this helps you out, if I got the question right :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I have a few different questions that don't really warrant making half a dozen new topics:

1. When adding tiles in Advance Map, I've been told you're only really supposed to use pallets 6-11. Are these 6 pallets universal throughout the game, or does each tileset have it's own independent 6 pallets to work with?

2. I'm hoping to add a day/night system in the game (Fire Red), but I'm not looking to make a Real Time Clock system. I'm just looking to make a simple system where it is only either day or night (and tinted as such in the overworld), and is switched between the two with a variable or flag. Is there an easy way to do this, or a tutorial for this sort of thing?

3. When changing the name of a trainer or Pokemon, will it overwrite data if the new name is longer than the old one?

4. Likewise in AdvanceMap, will lengthening the name of a location overwrite data?

5. In AdvanceMap, will changing the size of a map overwrite data?

6. Does there exist a tool to quickly transfer Pokemon data from one ROM to another? (stuff live moves and stats, not sprites)

1. Each tileset has 8 palettes. A map can have two tilesets, with the first having palettes 0-6 and the second 7-12. In outdoor maps, tileset 0 is usually used as the first tileset which is why palettes 0-6 could be considered 'universal'. You can edit any palettes however you like.

2. It's definitely possible but I don't think it's easy unless you're familiar with ASM.

3. Trainer names have a fixed length so no data should be overwritten.

4 and 5. If any data is larger than previously, AdvanceMap will either automatically repoint the data or ask you to specify an offset.

6. No, but if the data is grouped together (e.g. Pokemon names and base stats) you could copy and paste hex data.

Years
  • To answer number 6, you can do so with PGE, using the 'export pokemon' tool, but that does screw things up if you have custom cries installed.

Back