• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] A Few more ROM hack questions!

Meemee123sss

Comin' at u like,,
    Years
    Hello! I've made a thread a few days ago asking some questions, but ive been looking into some ROM hacks, and now I have more ^^"

• Are there any tutorials about ASM? I would really like to learn it, but i cant really find any.

• In a rom hack called Pokemon Liquid crystal, The games textures look different than actual Pokemon Fire Red's. I've also seen this in lots of other games, such as Pokemon Light Platinum, and Pokemon Dark Rising. How could you do that?

• Also, in Pokemon Liquid Crystal, at the title screen, Suicune is actually moving, like a sprite in Black2\White2. How? Any tutorials?

• In the beginning of Fire Red, when they explain the controls, How would you change the text of that? (when the game explains your adventure)

• Any tutorials on how to Hex edit, i'm not so good at it currently, whenever i try, my rom becomes unplayable.

• How to change the titlescreen of Pokemon Fire Red? Tutorials?

Sorry for so many questions, but i'd really like to know~
    Thank you for viewing/Answering :0!!

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2019
    1. Just google search asm tutorials pokecommunity, and you should be able to find some. I personally recommend going with karatekid's tutorial first, then hackmew's, then JPAN's, then knizz's tutorial on debugging. Shinyquagsire's ASM tutorial is pretty good too.

2. I'm assuming you mean the tilesets? You just need to make your own tilesets (or get some off the internet), then import them into your rom. There's tutorials on that, just use the search function in Pokecommunity.

3. I believe Linkandzelda used ASM for that. I do remember there was something in the Research section about this though.

4. You mean the blue screen text? I actually haven't dabbled in that, but you could convert the text into hex (there's a english hex table floating around here somewhere), search it with a hex editor, find the offset, and change the pointer pointing to that offset to make it point to your new offset (this will make sense once you start hex editing)

5. I recommend trying out itman's tutorial on how to expand movesets. He has a bunch of pictures to make things easy, and he explains concepts like pointers pretty well.

6. Just look for titlescreen tutorials in the tutorial section, you won't have to look far.

Since you're a beginner though, I would recommend mastering scripting, mapping and other basic concepts first, then hex editing, then ASM. And music hacking later on if you so desire.

Meemee123sss

Comin' at u like,,
    Years
    1. Just google search asm tutorials pokecommunity, and you should be able to find some. I personally recommend going with karatekid's tutorial first, then hackmew's, then JPAN's, then knizz's tutorial on debugging. Shinyquagsire's ASM tutorial is pretty good too.

2. I'm assuming you mean the tilesets? You just need to make your own tilesets (or get some off the internet), then import them into your rom. There's tutorials on that, just use the search function in Pokecommunity.

3. I believe Linkandzelda used ASM for that. I do remember there was something in the Research section about this though.

4. You mean the blue screen text? I actually haven't dabbled in that, but you could convert the text into hex (there's a english hex table floating around here somewhere), search it with a hex editor, find the offset, and change the pointer pointing to that offset to make it point to your new offset (this will make sense once you start hex editing)

5. I recommend trying out itman's tutorial on how to expand movesets. He has a bunch of pictures to make things easy, and he explains concepts like pointers pretty well.

6. Just look for titlescreen tutorials in the tutorial section, you won't have to look far.

Since you're a beginner though, I would recommend mastering scripting, mapping and other basic concepts first, then hex editing, then ASM. And music hacking later on if you so desire.
    Ahh thank you for answering ^^ Your answers will help me a lot :3

Back