• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A not so true story

Years
  • Movies, books and tv are notorious for taking artistic liberties when making content about real people and events.

Are there any stories that are just too fictionalized for you to enjoy?

For me one would be Disney's Pocahontas. I think the animation is beautiful, the music is soaring, I love Judy Kuhn's broadway vocals, and the messages at the heart of the story are important ones to share with audiences of all ages. I didn't dislike watching it as a little kid, especially the amusing antics of Meeko. However, the prospect of watching the movie now kinda turns me off, now that I know more about the real Pocahontas/Matoaka. I usually don't take fiction that seriously, in fact, it is usually best not to. I try to remain aware that it's drama, and enjoy it on it's own terms of it has storytelling merits, and if I'm looking for the facts, and not just trying to be entertained, I will watch documentaries and read biographies.

But I think what bothers me about Pocahontas is that it's presented as a love story, and knowing that she was really just an 11 or 12 year-old girl that was kidnapped and a hostage of English settlers and treated so badly is too disturbing for me to see romanticized, so that's a flick I can skip rewatching.

Is there an adaptation of a "true story" that you have a bone to pick with?

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Any series about English history made by Starz - especially The White Queen, The White Princess, The Spanish Princess and Becoming Elizabeth. I've studied it inside out when I took English History at college and these series get. So. Many. Details. Wrong. Sometimes to a disturbing degree. I'll put some details under the cut in case you don't want to be grossed out.

Spoiler:

Back