• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] A "Play Dead" Ability

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how a Pokemon Ability that relates to a Pokemon "Playing Dead" (i.e. pretending to faint) could work without being OP, gamebreaking, or just plain impossible. I have a fakemon that is an Oppossum (his name is Opuny) and I would like to give him an Ability like this. As far as I know, no such Ability yet exists (if it does, please let me know!)

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
    Years
  • Elaborate on what you mean by "playing dead", as it initially sounds preposterous, as the opponent would know that the pokemon isn't fainted.

However one way you could go about it would be sort of like roar or baton pass, perhaps the ability could be something like "If the pokemon should lose more than 1/3 of it's max HP the pokemon instead loses 1/4 of it's max HP and then the pokemon would pretend to faint, and you choose another pokemon to be sent out; all the while having the pokemon still alive and possibly cured of status effects."

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    However one way you could go about it would be sort of like roar or baton pass, perhaps the ability could be something like "If the pokemon should lose more than 1/3 of it's max HP the pokemon instead loses 1/4 of it's max HP and then the pokemon would pretend to faint, and you choose another pokemon to be sent out; all the while having the pokemon still alive and possibly cured of status effects."

This is a good idea, although it's not really " playing dead". There's not really a good way to implement something like that.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    This sounds like a terrible idea for an ability... I don't understand the point in an ability that makes it look like a Pokémon is faint.

If you can explain the point or reasoning then maybe I could agree, but it just sounds silly... A Pokémon could have such an ability in the Anime because it could be a sign of trickery within a battle, but a game won't be able to understand any of that unless told.
    Elaborate on what you mean by "playing dead", as it initially sounds preposterous, as the opponent would know that the pokemon isn't fainted.

I don't think this way would work as intended even if I thought this ability was a good idea.

If anything I'd have said if a Pokémon lost more than 3/4HP, then said Pokémon with the ability "Play Dead", should lose all HP... PROVIDED, the trainer has at least 1 Pokémon remaining... Once the faint message has been displayed, switch Pokémon out... After 2 or 3 turns (or until the switched in Pokémon faints itself), said Pokémon with the new ability should return to the battle, displaying a message saying "Poochyena has returned to battle because of playing dead", or whatever... With half HP returned (or something)

But even with that in mind, I still don't think an ability like this could work... If you want an ability like this, I'm sure someone will help, but I guess the title "discussion" makes people talk lol.

Back