• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Project Concept (Will need artists)

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    ** Don't know how I missed this category the first time! **

So I know this may have been done, but from what I've seen not too well. Anyways for about a week I have been working on this 2D RPG game engine in Java. I was thinking of converting it and doing it in C++ but decided not to seeing as Java is less OS specific.

Anyways, I decided I am going to attempt to make a Pokemon "fan game" with it. It will hopefully feel just like the GameBoy and DS games (except 2D) and online. The world will be all the regions connected, and depending on what area you start in, you will have different generation starters.

Now I know there may be serious doubts about trying to do this, but I mean it's worth trying out, and if it works it works. I am hoping to work on it in my free time while I finish the term in school and will decide once I have something mildly playable whether or not it is worth pursuing.

What I am wondering is if there is anyone here that would be up to maybe doing some drawings and data entry if I get to that point. I don't want anyone to commit to vapor so I will only start seriously looking for help once I get a solid program that shows potential. Gunna start simple at first.

Anyways just wanted to get that out there. A little bit about me, I am a first year Computer Science student studying at UBC in Vancouver. I've been programming small games in my free time for a while, and have been trying to find a good concept to start on. Hopefully I actually get something done with this, if not I will probably drop my engine in another game or start working on a 3D one.

If anyone knows of a solid game like this already out there, please notify me of it. It may change the path I decide to take.

Note: In the future I will really need artists to draw all the pokemon and stuff. Unless I decide to use the official sprites, which I don't think there are enough of, but if someone has a complete collection of them or knows of one, please let me know.

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    Here we go again. Every other month someone comes in with this same idea. Online, All Regions, All Pokemon, Every Feature in the Pokemon games, etc. Also talking about 3D when you don't even have 2D spriter's is fairly puzzling.

My best suggestion is to get/start your engine and when you have something presentable (Walking, Maps, Trainers, Some Unique feature, etc) then post in the Drawing Board section of what you have. You will get more responses that way. Right now there are many games on this forum that will go unfinished, even with lots of progress on it.

If you are JUST looking for people to input data, you should be able to find some help. Having an artist to draw everything will be tougher. You should use the official sprites until you can find someone to replace the existing stuff with custom stuff (I am not sure what you mean by enough of?) There are official sprites and custom sprites of almost everything in the game plus things not in it.

I apologize if I came off harsh, but this is how many will see it. If you can accomplish it, awesome, I'll be supporting you. Bottom line is you have to show people you are capable. Hell, even showing us these 'small games' that you've been coding in your free time is a good start.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    Yeah, I was pretty sure a lot of people have wanted to do it.
    Anyways I can use the engine for another game at least so it's all good.
    As for the 3D comment I was not referring to this at all, I meant I was going to do more 3D stuff in my own time. Now that I think about it, it was not really worth mentioning.

Anyways, as you suggested I am going to get into a state that can at least be played and then release screens if it works. If not I'll just make some other rpg game.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    I have started on an online pokemon game in java already and i am looking for maybe another developer or two because i am alright with java, but i just learned about socked programming about a month ago xD so i am still just getting the hang of it. If you are good at networking, i would say my project just got a whole lot better lol. It already has online capabilities as well as mysql connection(only the server connects to the mysql databases when loading information such as accounts, objects, items, pokemon, etc.) I would just like someone who knows a little more about what they are doing, PM me if you're interested. My project's name is Pokemon Opal

Last edited:
    Back