• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A question about the pokemon world

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2006
    I just watched the pokemon movie with deoxys in it and this question came to my mind. They called an alien from outer space a pokemon. Why would they do that? In the world of pokemon, is everything else that's non-human called a pokemon? What do the pokemon world people have for pets? Do they even have cats, dogs, or "animals" in general? Do words like dog, cat, lion, mouse even exist in the world of pokemons?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I would guess so, But there is no real proof of animals so send your question to fourkids(Isnt meant to be spelt that way) and I guess they would end up saying no there isn't...

<3 Nica--But it is an anime so expect no "usual things"

Black_Wind

Old champ, new gen
    Years
    i think pokemon is a name given to somthing not human with powers, there are animals as they have food like chicken chow mein and beef soup.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2007
    That's the same question that came to my mind at one point. I think Pokemon are special types of animals with abilities. Sort have everything normal animal do plus more. Kinda like how there's juice and Juice~.

I've never seen the Deoxy movie and kinda get your point. If Pokemon are creatures born on Earth why would outerspace beings be given the same name? Maybe they believe Deoxy's true origin is Earth?

Not sure.

CHaRiSMa

Watching Celty chase bad guys
    Years
    Didn't also Clefaries come from outerspace? I think the scientist in ˝Clefary and the Moon Stone˝ ep mentioned that.. but yeah it's a good question I think a ˝pokemon˝is every being with special powers (on Earth or outerspace).

Oh and I do think that beside pokemon there are also animals in the pokemon world.. I think I saw some fish in an ep once..

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
    I think the distiction is genetic makeup and generation resistance more than the ability to use attacks. As we have it, animals supposedly evolved over millennia whereas Pokémon are prone to evolution in an instant due to fixed factors and those that aren't change extremely little over time but are still affected by natural selection.

Years
    In the world of pokemon, is everything else that's non-human called a pokemon?
    No, there's fish, birds, etc, iirc...

What do the pokemon world people have for pets?
    Pokemon :P

Do they even have cats, dogs, or "animals" in general? Do words like dog, cat, lion, mouse even exist in the world of pokemons?
    I think: maybe most wild animals are extinct, since there are fish, and a few other animals. That also would explain why Meowth is a "Cat" pokemon.

OR

Animals dont exist, and never have, except a few scattered throughout the world. "Cat" is just a term to describe that group of pokemon that share those certain characteristics.

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
    Well I thought about this myself and I have some sort of idea of that. I was thinking that the world of pokemon is base in the future. What could have happen was an astoride came and made the earth almost unliveable. THis then caused some animals to rapidally evolve into the Legendary pokemon like Ho-oh, Lugia, Grondon, Kygore. Aruseus and a few other Legendaries. From that Ho-oh and Aruseus then recreated the earth and allowed the animals of the world to rapidally evolve into the pokemon that there are. The terms cat and junk are just left over words from old text from our time that are used to describe pokemon like Meowth. To me that explains why the pokemon world is like the way it is with its regions and pokemon.

Professor Pine

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    "Well I thought about this myself and I have some sort of idea of that. I was thinking that the world of pokemon is base in the future."

I've been thinking about it too and i think pokemon are genetically modidfied animals (all the rest died out). There is no wars in the pokemon world and they have supeior technogly (teliports (most games) , hover machines(colluessum),time machines (crystal)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    food for thought, lol

hah nice theory xD but monoliths like the tin & brass towers would probably not be built in a future age (300 years ago from the year 3000? lol) so i think it's set at present day but with some fantasy inventions (teleportation and time travel are wierd things that make holes in the fabric of space or something :\)

but pokemon i think are the animals: pidgey shooting, turos steaks, wailord poaching; the list goes on xD
    but there's one thing that's completely true and i know of: miltank milk :classic:

Last edited:

Captain Arcane

spoon full o'peanut butter
    Years
    There are real animals. because i saw an episode where ash is hungry and eats a cheese burger. And I dont think he got the meat from his pikachu.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2006
    I'm guessing their was a 3rd world war involving nuclear weapons, the result of whcih wiped out most of the world's population, chaned the face of the planet (continents buried under the sea; islands & underground mountain ranges rising from the ocean), and animals mutated & evolved from the radiation in the air. 1000+ years later, the pokemon world as we know it exists

Captain Arcane

Years
    I'm guessing their was a 3rd world war involving nuclear weapons, the result of whcih wiped out most of the world's population, chaned the face of the planet (continents buried under the sea; islands & underground mountain ranges rising from the ocean), and animals mutated & evolved from the radiation in the air. 1000+ years later, the pokemon world as we know it exists

Uhhh........yes
    That is a posisble hypothesis, but in my opinion, not likely.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
    There are real animals. because i saw an episode where ash is hungry and eats a cheese burger. And I dont think he got the meat from his pikachu.

heys, good point. I can't imagine Ash eating Pokemon meat though.. it's horrible if he loved POkemon, yet ate them.. ><;;

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    *apply logic*, not opinion or outward theory

we'd see these other animals if there were any

cheese comes from milk and burgers from beef, so it goes to what i said about milktank milk and turos steaks :3

the pokemon that trainers normaly raise are comparable to the real world's show, fighting and pet animals

also, pokemon eat eachother, noctowls eat ratatas, sentrets' tails are to use as a long limb to look out for predators, etc.

and team rocket are like a poaching organisation xD

Last edited:

Captain Arcane

Years

cheese comes from milk and burgers from beef, so it goes to what i said about milktank milk and turos steaks :3

the pokemon that trainers normaly raise are comparable to the real world's show, fighting and pet animals

also, pokemon eat eachother, noctowls eat ratatas, sentrets' tails are to use as a long limb to look out for predators, etc.

Yes, there is in the pokemon world, pokemon eating other pokemon, but I know that I've saw an episode that convinced me that there was real animals. I think it was an episode were ash and gang are at a beach like market and some of the provision stalls had real fish in them. Now, I'm not sure but i'm pretty sure that I saw that, but seeing that my memory can't recall the main events in the episode or the name of it, I may be wrong.
    But I am pretty confident that there are real animals.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years

Yeah.. Pokemon do eat Pokemon.. I remember when Ash first caught Caterpie, Misty was lecturing him about Pigdeotto eating Caterpie and that Ash had made a lousy choice catching a predator and prey together..

Back