• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Question About Which Is The Better Option?

Days
    • Seen Jul 29, 2023
    So, I've been kicking around an idea for a narrative-focused Pokemon game I want to design, but I am unsure of which method I should use to go about making it, ROM hack or fan game.

The features I know for sure right now would be a part of the game include;
    -A new region to explore with custom tilesets (though I am awful at spriting/tileset creation so I'd need help there I'd imagine)
    -As many Pokemon from as many gens as possible (no Fakemon)
    -An inclusion of still image *cutscenes* at certain points.
    -Forced Growlithe starter Pokemon (for narrative reasons)
    -Alternate menu layouts, title card, and colors to give it its own flair (like Unbound has different menus)
    -Multiple *storylines* for the player to complete (main story, side quests, gym progression like the old games)
    -custom music

I have a number of tools and resources already downloaded and waiting. Hex Maniac Advance, Advance Map, CFRU, Dynamic Pokemon Expansion, Pokemon Essentials (in case I use RPG Maker XP).
    I just don't know which option would allow me, with practice and time of course, to make the game I want to make. Hack or RPG Maker fan game?

Years
    My suggestion is pokemon essentials if you want a well done narrative focused game, google "thundaga essentials tutorial" and that should give everything you need to get started

Back