• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen A sad day...

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2013
    I was about to play Pokemon Silver when I switched it on and my save file was missing, I knew what had happened at once. I bought it days after it came out so it's a good eight years old, I am sad that I conked out now and it outlived many other copies that died around six years after manufacturing.

I heard there was a fix where you need to replace a component and it will work again, I currently study Electronics at High School and I am on course to get an A. Do you think I could attempt to repair my cartridge(s) (I have a broke Gold too).

I have a soldering iron and some solder. Could someone who noes how to fix it post a link or guide detailing the repair process. Also any ideas where I could get the new component / battery?

Thank you in advance.

Long live Gold!

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • I've never done it myself, but I did find a website with some instructions on how to do it.
    link
    Hopefully it works for you. My Silver gave up a while back, but I didn't have the guts to open it up. ;-;

(Apologies in advance if this link isn't allowed.)

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2013
    I read through some old posts on the forum about leaving the Game Boy switched on for days or longer and it will start to recharge the battery. Has this been proven to work? I'm doing it anyway.

It worked my battery can save my game again!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2013
    Left it charging

That's revolutionary! Could you please come back again if the svae file stops working again? Because this method is simple and would be the most effective and least messy if it worked.

I put it a GBA SP and plugged it in to the mains with it's charger. I switched the GBA SP on with the game in and left it over night. I've played for a few hours now and I've stopped and switched it on / off a few times and it's still working.

Edit: It can remember the time too!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2009
    I read through some old posts on the forum about leaving the Game Boy switched on for days or longer and it will start to recharge the battery. Has this been proven to work? I'm doing it anyway.

It worked my battery can save my game again!

Wow, are you serious? That's awesome, I'm going to go try that. You see, I brought Pokemon Silver from a friend a few months back and the save function was gone. I was thinking about going to see a professional, but I'll try this.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2013
    I'm not convinced that it will work on everyone's cartridges, if yours has a bit or life left in it it can help bring it back. However once the battery decharges completely your save file will go again so you need to play frequently to keep the cartridge charged.

Edit: Also my Gold only died recently not ages ago, I was quick to try and fix it which could have made all the difference.

Edit 2: It can't save again, it broke again. Oh well I tried. I guess I use the solder method. Or just play it on VBA.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Gameboy being on means the game's clock runs on the Gameboy's batteries instead, I should think. This allows the game's battery to rest during this time; this works for at least zinc chloride batteries but gains no nominal recharge, its boost is depleted in a minute or so.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2013
    Yeh

Gameboy being on means the game's clock runs on the Gameboy's batteries instead, I should think. This allows the game's battery to rest during this time; this works for at least zinc chloride batteries but gains no nominal recharge, its boost is depleted in a minute or so.

Thats pretty much what my dad said when I asked him. Ah well suppose I can wait till Shiny Gold is finished, where does the current Beta go up to?

Back