• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A sequel to Pokemon XD - And ideas for some mechanics that I have

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    So guys, one of my most favorite pokemon games of all time had to be Pokemon XD, and I always thought it deserved a sequel or something following up to those events. My story starts with the criminal cyndicate, Cipher, in total control of the planet. You can't stop them from dominating the world, as it already happened. Entire cities were destroyed just to set mere example. Conditions have became so inhospitable that pokemon no longer appear in the wild. The protagonist, otherwise known as you, is a homeless male or female who's family had been killed as a result of Cipher's reign. You are found to possess a special gift, some kind of aura that shines light in the darkest corners of the planet. This is why you are recruited into a counter organization called SoL, or the Soldiers of Light. You begin duty as a lowly grunt in a run down building. A strict taskmaster is over you, and she is responsible for getting you both physically and mentally prepared for your journey. After you are, she gives you the choice between one of three pokemon. These are specimens that have long went extinct, and were genetically engineered to counter Shadow Pokemon. However, these pokemon channel the trainer's energy to derive their power, making most trainers unable to bear the task. But, considering your special gift, you can handle the task. Instead of facing gym leaders, your job is to infiltrate Cipher bases, destroy their equipment, and take out their leaders; one by one.

Some things I can do: As of right now, I can do some basic scripting. I can set warps, use variables and comparisons, apply movement, enable and disable events, and make proper textboxes. I don't know if that's good enough to make a hack or not. I can also properly integrate a title screen and other images.

Things I need: I'm not a very good artist. I can make a decent story-line, script, and pitch ideas for balancing and pokemon stats, but I cannot make artistic maps(although I can use A-Map proficiently) I also know nothing of music editing as well. Subtract all of the creative stuff basically. Some custom tilesets might be nice if we can get some specifically made for this game.

Some mechanics that I brainstormed:
    -Shadow Pokemon(Pokemon that are to become shadow instead become pre-evolutions to the pokemon they become when purified. Considering Cipher's pokemon are genetically engineered, you need to acquire a pokemon's genetic code to reverse engineer and purify it. These will be obtained as items. The purification machine will take this "gene map", and spit out an item that allows them to be purified(evolve) We will also receive a new typing, in place of the curse type(???) to account for shadows. Shadow pokemon are super effective against everything(possibly normal damage against your light pokemon)
    -Trainer Battles
    Whenever you battle a person with a shadow pokemon, the game will first initiate a wild pokemon battle with it. Afterwards, it'll initialize the trainer battle. I have it set to check if the Shadow Pokemon has been either ran away from, caught, or defeated(If you can make it so you can't run away from a wild pokemon battle, I'd like to know how) Then, the battle occurs. If you've caught the pokemon, and lose to the trainer, you can rebattle the trainer. If you lose to the shadow pokemon, you simply will get a redo battle.

So guys, any ideas story-line wise? I'm not recruiting yet, but I want to get a feel for some ideas and possible teammates. If you all want, tell me what you think, what might need improvements, or whatnot. Thank you for reading this!

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    We will also receive a new typing, in place of the curse type(???) to account for shadows. Shadow pokemon are super effective against everything(possibly normal damage against your light pokemon)
    -Trainer Battles
    Whenever you battle a person with a shadow pokemon, the game will first initiate a wild pokemon battle with it. Afterwards, it'll initialize the trainer battle. I have it set to check if the Shadow Pokemon has been either ran away from, caught, or defeated(If you can make it so you can't run away from a wild pokemon battle, I'd like to know how) Then, the battle occurs. If you've caught the pokemon, and lose to the trainer, you can rebattle the trainer. If you lose to the shadow pokemon, you simply will get a redo battle.
    Spoiler:
    you can just add a new type overall, it's actually fairly easy.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8509596&postcount=16
    i'm pretty sure this can cover shadow pokémon? you might just have to set a toggle depending on if the person's pokémon has type shadow or not :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    Yeah, the toggle would have to be either to check for Pokemon to Pokemon(which would be ridicuolous), to check for certain movesets (more feasible), or just check the typing. I really only know it on the scripting end, and not on the Hex Editing end. Hopefully if I were to learn just to hex edit I wouldn'the have to go into ASM routines. Also, I am aware of being able to add new typing, I just wanted to make it visible to the trainer. How would I add an image in and link it to the specific type?
    EDIT: Another problem with that idea though is that if you lose, and still capture the pokemon, you can just lose and repeatedly capture the Shadow pokemon, potentially making for an exploit. With my script if it is captured, and you lose the battle, you can still face it again (although I'll just run it so the pokemon's on theor team rather than a wild pokemon)

Last edited:

Hajima

Manga Artist 101
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2016
    So far the story looks good, I don't think you should any more twists (dramatic and shocking ones you may want to add.). All you actually need is filler plots. :)

It kinda reminds me of the Attack on Titan prologue lol, maybe just me haha :)

Good Luck!

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    Thank you for that bit of input! Things might get a bit overwhelming, and complicated for the aduience. Need to make it cool yet understandable. The biggest problem for me will be representing what I see in my head physically. Which is why I need some artists. I've never watched anime other than Yugioh and Pokemon really :p
    Wouldn't have knoenough that about AoT's plot.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Yeah, the toggle would have to be either to check for Pokemon to Pokemon(which would be ridicuolous), to check for certain movesets (more feasible), or just check the typing. I really only know it on the scripting end, and not on the Hex Editing end. Hopefully if I were to learn just to hex edit I wouldn'the have to go into ASM routines. Also, I am aware of being able to add new typing, I just wanted to make it visible to the trainer. How would I add an image in and link it to the specific type?
    EDIT: Another problem with that idea though is that if you lose, and still capture the pokemon, you can just lose and repeatedly capture the Shadow pokemon, potentially making for an exploit. With my script if it is captured, and you lose the battle, you can still face it again (although I'll just run it so the pokemon's on theor team rather than a wild pokemon)

first one that shows up should be sufficient
    if something isn't clear then i can help you with it later :P

so, hex-editing is basically just dealing with and moving data around. while you can do EVERYTHING from a hex standpoint, this would be extremely difficult and unnecessary with all of the tools out there...

there's no real way to avoid asm if you want to implement new features, and shadow pokémon especially. one could theoretically circumvent the shadows entirely by replacing/adding new pokémon that are made specifically to be shadow pokémon, and that is actually how i'd personally end up doing it, tbh.

the check for the type to toggle capturability should be fairly simple, you'd just have to find the RAM location for the opponent pokémon's type(s) using knizz's idb or something.

now, as for your second point, one can easily make different trainers for different situations and just have the script check for dexflags (the things that are set to show that you can access the pokémon in the pokédex). while your way does work, it doesn't stay true to the theme presented in colosseum/xd and this may be a turn-off for some...

EDIT: miksy91 would argue with me on my point about using tools, but i say do whatever works best...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    The whole thing about checking Pokedex entries. I wanted to have it set to check if it was captured before, but in some of the script resources I searched, I could only find this command:
    Code:
    setvar 0x8004 0x97
    special 0x163
    This sets it so that the pokemon defined in server is seen. How would I do change this to work for a set as captured instead of set as seen? I heard using 0x8005 might work.
    Oh, and I found the "Let Me Google That For You" quite amusing, and at the same time helpful. Would I just put a script in for the enemy Pokemon that checks the type and then calls for that modified function placed down in hex? Also, I'm a bit newer to scripting, and I've been studying it for the past 2 days now (as said, fairly new) If it proves to be too hard (I've hex edited save files before, so that shouldn't be bad) I'll keep it the way it is. If bot, I'll go with your way. Also, with the Shadow Pokemon, that'sounds exactly what I was going to do :p As said, the purification machine simply triggers and evolution.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    So, I went and looked it up a bit... Doesn't really seem as threatening anymore. Simply compile the resources, and copy/paste in Free space using HxD. Also, found the whole evolution thing... Wish I seen this earlier. Still need help with the Pokedex flags though (sorry for being annoying)

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • do not worry yourself about being annoying <3
    checking for the pokédex flags might actually beninteresting tbh because idk if they have a specific value? likely do...
    you can also run a check for species (is there a checkpokemon command?)
    yeah i have to get my computer out to be of more use, really

Last edited:
    Back