• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A small tip for recolours...

Dyingflame

Lost. Alone. Forgotten.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2006
    Well, I've checked the rules, and I don't think this against any of them, and I think this is the right place, so... If i'm wrong, can a Mod or admin move it to the right place?

Well... someone told me about this really handy tip for recolours. So I thought I'd share it.

Step One: To make a recolor, take the sprite you want to recolor and another sprite that has the desired color(s). For this tutorial, I want to recolor a Pikachu to look light blue. Since we need a sprite that is light blue, we'll use Mudkip. Take your Pikachu sprite and Mudkip sprite.

Step Two: Let's start by finding the lightest colors of each sprite.

Step Three: This part is very important. Using the eyedropper tool, LEFT click on the lightest shade of yellow, then RIGHT-click on the lightest shade of blue. After that, click on the eraser tool. Then, using the eraser tool, right-click and drag over the entire Pikachu sprite.

Step Four: Locate the next lightest shades in each sprite.

Step Five: Repeat Step Three, exept using the next darkest shades.

Step Six: Like in Step Four, locate the next lightest shades in each sprite.

Step Seven: Repeat Step Five using the colours you found above.

Step Eight: Like in Step Six, locate the next lightest shades in each sprite, this time for lines.

Step Nine: Repeat Step Seven using the same colours you just found.

Step Ten: This time, locate the darkest shades in each sprite. Since we already used the darkest shade of blue, we'll have to use black.

Step Eleven: Repeat Step Nine with the colors you just found, and voila!

Heh, hope this is in the right place...

Dyingflame

Lost. Alone. Forgotten.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2006
    Ah, right ^^; I thought that was for showing sprites.

viridian doubletongue

the world's greatest thief
    Years
    Does this work on other programs than MSpaint? I use this method aswell & it means you can do recolours in about 2 minutes. Before I did this you would have to re fill each & every dot of colour.

Dyingflame

Lost. Alone. Forgotten.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2006
    I don't think it works on other programs, I haven't tried it...

And yes, it is annoying recolouring every pixel. This makes it a lot quicker AND it's less likely you'll miss parts or get lazy.

Dyingflame

Lost. Alone. Forgotten.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2006
    0.0 Whoa. I'm not much more than a newbie to this forum myself ^^ kewl

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    Nah,it doesn't need to be stickied. o_O Eh...I guess i'll keep it open if anyone else thinks it should be closed or something then go ahead.

Back