• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen A solution to the HMs

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
HMs are annoying. I mean, when I see a tiny tree I will just squeeze past it, or take my machete to it. I never understood the need for them, or why in the heck you couldn't buy an axe or something...

Years
I really like the upgrading idea. I also like Skill Slot idea. How about we put the two together? I propose this:

Instead of upgrading from gaining a badge, how about the Skills--essentially the same as HMs--upgrade upon gaining Skill Points? Each battle would give Exp and Skill Points. Upon gaining enough Skill Points, the Skill would upgrade. For example, Mijumaru's Surf would eventually upgrade to Surf II (Surf w/ Whirlpool) then Surf III (Surf w/ Whirlpool and Waterfall). The HMs would still be moves, TMs, that can be given for move slots, but the Skills would be given at birth. Some Pokemon would have more than one Skill that would be determined at birth, much like Abilities and IVs. For example, Pelipper can know Surf and Fly. At birth, like IVs, its Skill would be different.

Also, there would be a limitation on which part of a Skill can be used before a certain badge, much like HMs can only be used after getting a certain badge. So, to clarify:

--HMs would be removed and instead be split into TMs and Skills. A Surf TM would behave the same as Surf I, not Surf II or III.
--Depending on their type and movepool, a Pokemon could have up to six variable Skills (frikkin' Bibarel...)
--Skills can be upgraded through battles, which would give Exp and Skill Points. Skill Points per battle are set while Exp is not.
--Skills can only be upgraded so far until a certain badge is received. This eliminates grinding for Skill Points.
--A Pokemon's Skill gauge (where the points are allocated, much like the Exp gauge) differs for the Pokemon. For example, Wingull's Surf Skill gauge would be smaller than Mijumaru's Surf Skill gauge.

If there's any loopholes in this system, just let me know. I spent all of math class thinking about this. :D

I like it. I actually like it a lot. I don't know that Skill Points would be that useful though. I think that the badge system could still work in its place.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2010
Getting around HMs is really quite easy, it would just take a bit of game design ingenuity. Game Freak has been lazy the past few Generations, that's all. HMs in the end are no more than barriers to prevent progression, which all RPGs have. A more organic and less arbitrary alternative has to exist.

I would suggest turning the HMs into "licenses" of sorts, only usable on the overworld. Each Pokémon is able to perform some of these overworld tasks, depending on their species. In that regard, this system is not much different from the current HM system, however I would propose taking HMs out of battle entirely, because really the problem is the movesets. Make HMs an overworld only thing, dependent entirely on the Pokémon's species (and not having to physically learn any moves) I think would pretty much solve the problem.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Why can't we just give HM attributes to some attacks and remove the HMs altogether?

What I mean is you will still have the HMs if you want to teach them to a Pokemon, but you can use those moves' effects outside of battle using other moves (like Brick Break also has the effect of Rock Smash Outside of battle). So, if you have a certain move, you will be able to use an HM effect outside of battle, but you don't necessarily have to have the HM attack. Obviously, there need to be prerequisites to meet in order to use some effects, but that's easily implemented. That way, we can have attacks other than HM moves and still use them, i.e.:

Obviously, I won't list all the moves for each ability, but here are some suggestions.

Fly to different towns = Fly
Escape from caves = Dig, Teleport, Return (?)

Cross water, climb waterfalls, and pass whirlpools = Surf, Whirlpool, Waterfall (all these moves allow you to use Surf in the overworld) (this will also allow you to climb waterfalls and cross whirlpools, but only after you obtain the proper prerequisites. While surfing, all you have to do is attempt to move through the object and it will happen automatically, without asking a question)

Illuminate dark areas = Flash, Flash Cannon, Signal Beam, Aura Sphere, Ember, Sunny Day, Will-o-Wisp, Doom Desire, etc.

Slice small shrubs = Cut, Scratch, Slash, Night Slash, X-Scissor, Fury Cutter, Dragon Claw, Cross Chop, Karate Chop, Air Slash, Air Cutter, Razor Leaf, Leaf Blade, Guillotine, Vice Grip, Cross Poison, Psycho Cut, Metal Claw, etc.

Crush rocks = Rock Smash, Cross Chop, Karate Chop, Stomp, Brick Break, Crabhammer, Wood Hammer, Rock Wrecker, Crush Claw, Earthquake, Dragon Rush, Power Whip, Vine Whip, Bone Club, Bonemerang, Bone Rush, Skull Bash, Meteor Mash, Needle Arm, etc.

Move boulders = Strength, Superpower, Bulk Up, Focus Energy, Brave Bird, Shadow Force, Power Whip, Vine Whip, Wring Out, Psychic, Confusion, Power Trick, Iron Head, Gyro Ball, etc.

A lot of Pokemon know the moves I've suggested, so you can still make a diverse team in-game without using too many HMs. At the same time, HM moves will still exist if you can't find a match (so you can teach them to your team if you really wanted to).

Redrup

The Gentleman
Years
I think, after you have beaten the respective gym leader for a particular HM, then you should be able to, for example, cut down all trees with all able Pokémon - without having to fill up your move list with otherwise useless attacks/abilities.

Those who are arguing that it should stay the way it is; at the end of the day, it's a game where fun should be the priority. The removal of bland, repetitive HM use would definitely make the next generation more fun for me personally.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
While I, like most players, found HMs incredibly irritating, strangely I don't want Game Freak to remove them. Even though I may despise them, they've become a fundamental part of the Pokémon game formula as a broken bridge tactic. Not only that, but sometimes you don't realize how much you miss something until it's gone. Sure, we all hate tugging along an HM slave to light up caves as much as we hate battling Tentacool after Tentacool on the open seas but that's what makes the games what they are. When we sarcastically joke about how exciting that battle with that one Zubat was, it's a little inside joke that all of us Pokémon fans can enjoy.

Anyways, though I'd be all for a modification of the system (the idea of special HM slots appeals to me, as does the idea proposed in the post above mine), I doubt that Game Freak will remove them at this point because they've become so ingrained into the gameplay of the adventure games. Also, isn't one of the main morals of Pokémon something about working together with your pokémon to overcome obstacles and all that good stuff? If we could simply cut down shrubs with chainsaws and shatter rocks with jackhammers, what message would that send to our youth?

Penutz

Breeder & Collector
Years
Get items. For tree cutting perhaps a knife/sword. For rock smashing an axe or something. Surfing a surfboard. Waterfall perhaps some surfboard upgrade. Strength perhaps just well...push.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2014
What if you just teach your Pokemon HM's but they don't actually take up the Move space. Like I teach a Flying Type Pokemon Fly, so I can use fly, but when he is in battle, Fly doesn't show up.

xDaisuke0

Aspiring Professor
Years
A simple idea is making them into Key Items, Boat/Surfboard = Surf Knife=Cut, etc.

But I dont know about having Knives in a kid's game...So maybe just let a Pokemon naturally be able to do it, like any Pokemon who could learn cut would be able to after the certain Gym Badge, without learning it. It'd make it a tad bit easier although you'd still have to go to your PC for some Pokes.

Back