• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A thought about the Pokedex...

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
Years
  • Something came to my mind about how the Pokedex list Pokemon species in an AIM conversation...

[21:55] Eternallostgamer: wild monkey? There's a mankey in teh fight?
    [21:56] Ida Kathry: No... the's Vigoroth's classification...
    [21:56] Eternallostgamer: they're monkies?
    [21:56] Eternallostgamer: thought they were... no clue
    [21:56] Ida Kathry: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Vigoroth_(Pokémon)
    [21:57] Ida Kathry: I'm just going by sources
    [21:57] Eternallostgamer: (looks at sereebi instead)
    [21:57] Eternallostgamer: hmm wild monkey
    [21:57] Eternallostgamer: so wonder wjhat the slaking is
    [21:58] Eternallostgamer: lazy... behomth
    [21:58] Eternallostgamer: lazy... behemoth or something could'b fit more*
    [21:59] Eternallostgamer: geez this is a weird one sloaoths are sloths in reality and sure I had no clue what Vigo was but Slack was a behmoth
    [22:00] Eternallostgamer: none of those forms look like monkies. Game Freak IS on crack
    I DO have to admit of some oddball species that don't match the Pokemon at all (Sandslash is a mouse?).

Does anyone feel that some Pokemon species classifications are... inaccurate?

Years
  • Slaking is more a sloth but yeah, I agree with you.

Kyorge, for example is a Manta Ray, why don't they call it that? Or saying that Omastar should be a nautilus Pokemon, which it is as it's based on an actual nautilus.

And do they bother with Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking? I still don't know what those things are supposed to be.

I like this. And yeah, I think Sandshrew is more shrew than mouse. Weird.

Nedrag Terces12

Lord of Latias
    Years
  • yeah, some of the species classifications are a bit..off. and there are a few in which i can't even take a guess

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 19, 2016
    Dark Weezing said:
    Slaking is more a sloth but yeah, I agree with you.

Kyorge, for example is a Manta Ray, why don't they call it that? Or saying that Omastar should be a nautilus Pokemon, which it is as it's based on an actual nautilus.

And do they bother with Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking? I still don't know what those things are supposed to be.

I like this. And yeah, I think Sandshrew is more shrew than mouse. Weird.

Actually, Kyogre is a whale..

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
  • I noticed that some people say that Kyorge is based on an orca, but since that's another name for killer whale, I'm sure something disagrees with that.

Why WOULD a legendary Pokemon be called a sea basin anyway?

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • They aren't really supposed to be saying what the Pok?mon is. If I remember correctly, Ledian's classification is "Five Star"; note the singular.

In the anim? and R/S Pok?dex, the classification is followed by "Pok?mon" - "Five Star Pok?mon" would therefore be a five-star Pok?mon, not a Pok?mon that's actually supposed to be five stars. Admittedly some of them do say some animals, but meh. Maybe it's the first thing they thought of. :P

Oh, and Kyogre is definitely an orca. Note the white patches on its head...

Years
  • You're right, the Kyorga is more whale based but those flippers are quite confusing. And Sea Basin indeed.

And indeed about Ledian. Who else is confusing, maybe the Regis, they do seem golem ish, don't they? What are they called on the Dex again? I forget.

Shiny Meganium

Meganium trainer
    Years
  • Pikachu is described as a 'mouse'. In a way it is even though the name would suggest that it's based on the 'Pika', a small mouse type thingy found in the Rocky mountains, Colorado to Canada.

Diglett looks more like a worm than a mole in my opinion.
    Rhyhorn is a spikes pokemon!? Should really be a rhino.

Roffle

Banned
    Years
  • OMG
    i think its kinda cool how each monster gets their own uniqueness; as mentioned before with ledian - five star pokemon.

if you get my drift its kind of uber. om

Years
  • Personaly, the dex needs better english writers, alot makes little to no sence, mostly 0001(theres bound to be 1000+) -0251 need it more.

Zaikiro

The offgoining vet
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    I rebember the Slowpoke family as HermitcrabS. Kyorge is more of a Manta Ray than people see it to be.

They are inaccurate to be honest. Mabye some resarch needs to be done.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Its probablly inaccurate because its either a direct translation from Japanese, or err... a direct translation from Japanese.

Btw, Sandshrew is a "sand mouse" Pokemon in Japanese, but in the English version, they've shortened it down to "mouse" Pokemon, which I also found to be confusing.

Nedrag Terces12

Lord of Latias
    Years
  • perhaps the next time they make new pokemon they should make ones that can be easily "speciated". And my thought on kyogre is that it's a whale. those 2 white patches near it's eyes are like a killer whale's and it's got the big "wings"(i forgot the real term...). I see minimal relevence of it to a manta ray seeing how it's flat(kyogre's not flat) and kyogre has that dorsal fin on top, also it doesn't have that long thin stinger at the end. also the head part looks highly "whalish" to me.

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
  • Shiny Meganium said:
    Pikachu is described as a 'mouse'. In a way it is even though the name would suggest that it's based on the 'Pika', a small mouse type thingy found in the Rocky mountains, Colorado to Canada.

Pikachu's name came from "pika", an electrical sound in Japanese, and "chu", a mouse's squeak. Pikachu is not based off the animal pika (which is actually a lagomorph, closer to a rabbit than a mouse). If anything, I'd say Pikachu's greatest inspiration in its design is the chinchilla, but that's a different topic.

I hate how Blastoise is a shellfish Pokemon. How the heck is it a fish?!

Mystic

Care for some Tea?
    Years
    • Age 37
    • USA
    • Seen Oct 5, 2007
    Wouldn't Mantine be the Manta Ray? The Regi's seem to be Golems as Dark Weezing had said, but they could also be Titans as well. Though they don't look human like, so that would count them out of being Titans, I think.

Ho-oh would be a Phoenix. Either him or Moltres.
    Zapdos could be the Quiztiquatal (sp?), but thats coming from the summon from FF8 though.
    For some reason, to me, the 3 rare dogs don't all look like dogs. Entei looks the closest to an actual dog to me.

One thing that I just thought of is this, if in the game, they're adding new Pokemon that's just legendary (ie- Mew, Dexoys...), then why hasn't there been any other new ones thats legendary that we know of? Meaning, if they're adding them just by legendary accounts, then there's a possiblity of even more Pokemon. Thats just a thought though.

~Amethyst_Callista_Moon~

Ribbon Mint Echo!
    Years
  • "Pika" means "lighting" and "Chu" means "mouse". Therefore, Pikachu is a Lightning Mouse.

Kyogre is "Sea Basin". That's because when it was released by Archie, it flooded. Same thing with why Groudon is "Continent".

Staryu is "Starshape", when Ledyba is "Five Star". I don't get that.

Mystic

Care for some Tea?
    Years
    • Age 37
    • USA
    • Seen Oct 5, 2007
    ~Amethyst_Callista_Moon~ said:
    Staryu is "Starshape", when Ledyba is "Five Star". I don't get that.

Staryu looks like a Starfish, well close to it, so I'm guessing its because it looks closest to looking like an actual Starfish.

Ledyba, I think its because there looks like there's five black dots on the back of its wings, so that might be why they call it the 'Five Star'.:\

Years
  • Originally posted by: puppypaladin000 Personaly, the dex needs better english writers, alot makes little to no sence, mostly 0001(theres bound to be 1000+) -0251 need it more.

I think the writters have doing the best they can, the jaanese is very difficult to translate, you know!

Back