• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen A year later... does it still hold up?

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2008
    Well, I got this game 6 days ago...
    so it's obviously not old to me.

Took me about 3 days to become champ. Very difficult, with 5 lvl. 50. >.<

On topic:
    The story was pretty good, and I love the new features. Though some of the single player aspect doesn't really hold up to other generation games. The Wi-Fi thing, has other people have mentioned earlier, is really the thing that keeps the game going stronger than just dying out and finding people to link up with personally.

It also seems that Pokemon Platinum will be something to look forward to, as some good work is being put into it. I also am looking forward to Giratina's role in the game itself and its uncanny ability to change form. :D

I also like the fact that I can get both Dialga and Palkia at the same time. :P

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    In my opinion i reaaaally didn't liked diamond and/or pearl because of the lack of plot in it.

I think nintendo should STOP making new pokemon's up and just focus on making HEAVY plot games for the heck of it =.= When they do that i will reconsider buying a DS again, for now its PSP for moi :3 <3

Divine~Deoxys

I like the 4th gen better as it has cool and totally new multi-types e.g. Grass-Ground,Water-Steel,Fight-Steel. Although my first gamne, Emerald was awesome, and Leafgreen is good too, as you can Mewtwo.

Flamer

Transforming Tyrant
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2009
    I think the massive amount of new features, mainly wifi has made it the best to date, well, the one I've played the most hours on, but I usally find thats quite a good reading of how good a game is.

The wifi helped it the most, as did the return of the real-time clock and day and night, which in turn allowed for far more daily events, which are also a plus in terms of the longlivety of the game. However, I was dissapointed in the story. The same thing for over 10 years. Come on, at least be a bit more original

DavyJones4our

Man of the Sea
    Years
    True, I agree that the main one-person story is really weak in this one, but I think they were mainly focusing on AFTER the story, where we can get the various other pogeys and make use of the battling system.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
    I'm getting pokemon Pearl in about 2 days. I'm only getting it for wifi and training/breeding though. otherwise i probably wouldn't touch D/P since 90% of the 4th gen pokemon are just utter crap. I was so relieved when I found an Abra really early on a Pearl rom playing with an emulator, I basically threw away chimchar after that.

My favorite Pokemon game of all time so far is Emerald it was long, fun and the story was pretty good near the end with the Kyogre and Groudon battle etc.

That and all the legendaries you could get in it too.

Kayke™

Banned
    Years
    otherwise i probably wouldn't touch D/P since 90% of the 4th gen pokemon are just utter crap.

They weren't utter crap, but they were certainly different. In an issue of Nintendo Power, the Pokemon Team actually stated that the Pokemon this time around might not feel or even look like Pokemon. In my opinion, 3rd gen had the lamest Pokemon, and 2nd had the best; however, what made D/P for me were the evolutions of past Pokemon and countless legendaries. I loved seeing Electabuzz--an underused Poke--finally get an evolution and gain some use.

Back