• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Absolute Beginner

BlisseyLikesEggs

Absolute Beginner
Years
  • Firstly, I'd like to apologise if this thread is treading on old ground, as I know that it's very much frowned upon within the community. I've experienced it in other forums and it's irritating I know, and the last thing I want to do is cause an inconvenience here to anybody else, but I'm so much of a beginner that even if I had managed to find what I was looking for, the slightest hint of jargon would have thrown me off the trail completely. I am, as I said, an absolute beginner here.

I have a multitude of questions, mostly regarding scripting, as I know litt;e to nothing about it yet. I want to make a hack based on Fire Red, and have already begun with the map editting (I'm using AdvanceMap, as I'm sure is a commonly used tool).

As well as AdvancMap, I've got AdvancedText and PokeScript. I'm not sure how to make them work in conjuction with one another though, I've been able to edit some of the text for the start of FireRed but that's about it. Does anybody else know of any software that I would need in order to get things moving?

And finally...how the hell do I use script? Before anyone thinks that I'm asking too general a question, A) I know I am lol, it's a massively difficult question to answer, I know that much, seeing as there's enndless ways of using it from what I've gathered. And B) To be honest, I'm not asking for all the answers here; what would be more hekpful would be if maybe a few people could tell me how they learned to use it? I'm pretty sure that even the mightiest of hackers here were absolute beginners at one stage, and I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of a few decent tutorials that are even suited to absolute beginner-dummies like myself.

That's all I can really think to ask right now, but I'll reiterate this; I am very sorry if this has shown up as a blight on the forum, I can't have been the first to ask a question of this kind and if there is a more appropriate thread for queries like this then let me know and I'll relocate.

Thankyou in advance for any support you're willing to give this humble n00b. Hopefully hear from you all soon!

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2011
    You said you were using Pokescript? Pokescript is outdated, I suggest you use XSE for your scripts. You can get it from hackmew's tool factory, just go to the toolbox section. It has a bunch of useful features that are built into it. I can't really tell you how to script but I suggest that you go to diegoisawesome's scripting tutorial. It's probably the best XSE tutorial in this forum and it explains everything in extreme detail. You can get there if you head over to the Tutorials section.

Years
  • Don't forget to use XSE built-in tutorial when you'll download it!
    It teaches you the very basics, then use diegoisawesome's tutorial that XeroGraviti and Divider already linked.

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    I can also vouch for XSE and the tutorial that was posted above. It's how I'm learning to script, and it's very helpful. One bit of advice I can give you is to start small. Try to finish a hack with only basic script editing before moving on to more complicated stuff. Anyway, good luck and welcome to the forums. :)

Back