• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Abstract Art

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2013
    Can you properly relate to abstract art? As in, do you see the message the painting is conveying or the sentiment it is showing or the lesson it is teaching or whatever? Do you believe that some abstract art are over-recognized as being great and genius paintings, but actually aren't, according to you and your standards? Can a painting with random coloring, composition, figures, textures etc be considered 'well-done' or 'good' art?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Yes, I can. In fact, my favorite type of art is abstract art. The message the painting is conveying is something that I don't always get right, though, but the thing about abstract art is that the message that's being conveyed or the emotion resides within us to determine. I believe people who don't view it as art to be unintelligent, to hold an ignorance in philosophy, and to be uninspired and uncreative individuals.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I adore abstract art; in fact, it's a main topic we're covering in my art history class right now. I don't think a piece of art needs to be direct or straight forward in order to convey its meaning. In fact, a lot of abstract art focuses on the process the artist took to make it rather than the final product. For example, Jackson ******* changed up painting by saying that only he would choose certain colors and patterns at a given time based off how he was feeling. So the piece can convey a moment in time about the artist, or it can dig deeper, you just have to really try and nit-pick it.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I adore abstract art; in fact, it's a main topic we're covering in my art history class right now. I don't think a piece of art needs to be direct or straight forward in order to convey its meaning. In fact, a lot of abstract art focuses on the process the artist took to make it rather than the final product. For example, Jackson ******* changed up painting by saying that only he would choose certain colors and patterns at a given time based off how he was feeling. So the piece can convey a moment in time about the artist, or it can dig deeper, you just have to really try and nit-pick it.
    Really? ******* was censored? Wow. That's weird.

Anyway, I love going to art galleries. Abstract art is kind of a large umbrella. There are parts I like and parts I don't. I like most of it I think. I'm just not particularly fond of "found art" like if you just stick a nail up on the wall or a bought canvas with nothing on it. They make some kind of statement that I can't figure out and to me are just too pretentious to be enjoyed.

Years
  • Hahaha, the Jackson ******* censoring strikes again. (By the way, it's censored because it also happens to be an alternate spelling for a slur against Polish people.)

So yeah. I like abstract art. I don't think all of it is good, but that's how I feel about art in general. Some famous pieces seem more like holdovers from previous eras when it was something new and in that sense I see them as historical moments of changing viewpoints captured in art. I don't know if you could really call something similar made today, with our hindsight, art in the same sense as it was originally.

Getting off topic there. So, yes, abstract is fine. Shapes and colors and tones and patterns - they can convey feelings and messages as well as figures and landscapes and as far as I'm concerned art is about what you take away from it so if you can find meaning in something abstract then good on you.

Back