• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Battle] Added Trainers have no name?

Years
  • Hey guys and gals. I'll get straight to the point.

I added around 20 trainers to Pokémon Emerald and although the battle and everything works great, for some reason their names don't show up in the battle.

Is there any way around this? I didn't know this was a thing and now my 20 trainers are stuck with no name.

EDIT: I'm seeing now that my trainers have random names, rather than their actual name. Like, one of their name's is "lytuff" even though it's supposed to be "Dillon".

Last edited:

SIlverstanfan04

A Pokenerd like no other
    Years
    • He/They
    • UK
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    How did you add the trainers? was it through HMA or A-trainer? if HMA perhaps there is a limiter byte that needs changing in order to properly read and display more names. if A-trainer I'm not sure what's causing the issue. whatever the method I hope this at least gives you something to think about. Good luck solving the issue!

Years
  • How did you add the trainers? was it through HMA or A-trainer? if HMA perhaps there is a limiter byte that needs changing in order to properly read and display more names. if A-trainer I'm not sure what's causing the issue. whatever the method I hope this at least gives you something to think about. Good luck solving the issue!

It was through HMA. Does it work in A-Trainer? I've never tried but I'm gonna be upset if I have to make all 20 trainers again. I'll try it and post back.

EDIT: Well, I did it. And it changed my trainer "lytuff" (originally "Dillon") to "entacruel". So same result, I guess.

Last edited:

SIlverstanfan04

A Pokenerd like no other
    Years
    • He/They
    • UK
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    It was through HMA. Does it work in A-Trainer? I've never tried but I'm gonna be upset if I have to make all 20 trainers again. I'll try it and post back.

EDIT: Well, I did it. And it changed my trainer "lytuff" (originally "Dillon") to "entacruel". So same result, I guess.

In that case you've gotta use the existing trainers in the ROM, I suggest using the blank names trainer as they're leftovers from RSE and can be safely repointed/renamed, there's plenty of them to use!

EDIT: I found a tutorial on HMA's official github wiki about adding trainers which suggests using this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOPCAz0n1Q I hope it helps.

Last edited:
    Years
  • In that case you've gotta use the existing trainers in the ROM, I suggest using the blank names trainer as they're leftovers from RSE and can be safely repointed/renamed, there's plenty of them to use!

EDIT: I found a tutorial on HMA's official github wiki about adding trainers which suggests using this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOPCAz0n1Q I hope it helps.

I watched the video. The only thing he did was edit trainers. He never added any trainers. But tbh, I don't think I did it wrong. The trainers work fine, moves and all. Only thing wrong is the names.

EDIT: I just realized that it's not just my custom trainer's names that are like this, but all of them are. After moving the trainer table, do I have to tell the game to get the names from a specific offset?

Last edited:
    Back