• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ADV: Another one is close to biting the dust.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    For those of you who are not following the situation, ADV studios, a major anime everything company right now is on deaths door. They have been removing title from there site left and right, right now its estimated from an unpublished insider article that 36 licenses they hold are in question.

So, discussion: ADV going to make it through this? Are loosing another major company?

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Considering the current state of the anime industry outside Japan, it does look like A.D. Vision is going to go the same way as Geneon if this news proves to be true after all.

Trainer Kat

→ voodoo jungle d r u m s;;
    Years
    :x If they die, what happens to their currently licensed anime?
    I'm in the middle of GetBackers, and I'll have to buy the rest quickly if they'll go out of print.

I'd just like to say, though, that if any company deserves it, it's ADV. They're selling two episodes of Gantz for nearly 20 bucks?! Major rip off. No wonder people aren't buying from them.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Are you entirely surprised by this? Seriously, when you've got hundreds of anime nuts downloading fansubbed versions of the show and then calling everyone who goes out and buys the dubs 'noobs' because they don't like to sit and read for a half hour (there's even people here that do that). This is the result. It happened with Geneon and now it's happening with ADV. 38 Animes, people. THIRTY-EIGHT! And these shows will likely never be fully released here as a result.

Pretty soon we won't have anyone left to dub most Anime except for Funimation and 4Kids. Doesn't that sound great (obvious sarcasm)?

Anyone concerned about it, here's my advice: Quit bashing people that watch dubs and be glad they endorse Anime that comes over to the States. They're the ones that keep it coming over here. It sounds a bit harsh, but sadly it's not far from the truth.

Last edited:

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
    Are you entirely surprised by this? Seriously, when you've got hundreds of anime nuts downloading fansubbed versions of the show and then calling everyone who goes out and buys the dubs 'noobs' because they don't like to sit and read for a half hour (there's even people here that do that). This is the result. It happened with Geneon and now it's happening with ADV. 38 Animes, people. THIRTY-EIGHT! And these shows will likely never be fully released here as a result.

Pretty soon we won't have anyone left to dub most Anime except for Funimation and 4Kids. Doesn't that sound great (obvious sarcasm)?

Anyone concerned about it, here's my advice: Quit bashing people that watch dubs and be glad they endorse Anime that comes over to the States. They're the ones that keep it coming over here. It sounds a bit harsh, but sadly it's not far from the truth.

True, but that (the name calling) shouldn't stop anyone really. But if it is, well I...

I mean the counter to those who call people "noobs" for actually supporting an anime they like by buying the English released version of something is simply put a "weeboo" or "japanophile" (the latter makes no sense because in the end both sides are ultimately fans of said item in question) or a "leeching bum". Hell, half those nay-sayers are just posers jumping on the anti-dub bandwagon to look cool and important.

I'm guessing its more of an issue about costs of the DVDs... I'm the type that likes to wait until the price lowers or a boxset of sorts is released myself. Only buying during first release if I feel I MUST see it now, and that's pretty (very) rare these days.

It's as a old-friend of mine told me: [Insert nickname of rl name here], I understand how the economy is looking right now but no matter how much of a fan I am I'm not coughing up almost thirty bucks for only three episodes. I'll either wait for it to go down or simply buy the original series subbed boxset off ebay. Whose looking smarter in the end?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    It's as a old-friend of mine told me: [Insert nickname of rl name here], I understand how the economy is looking right now but no matter how much of a fan I am I'm not coughing up almost thirty bucks for only three episodes. I'll either wait for it to go down or simply buy the original series subbed boxset off ebay. Whose looking smarter in the end?

True, but that person probably doesn't bash others that go out and buy the DVDs.

I'm not against the people that like subbed Anime. Heck, I prefer subs over dubs, but I'm just against those people that bash others for watching dubs.

Like you said though, they can't just flip a switch and make people stop downloading them.

pkmnfreak84

555 Henshin!
    Years
    wow this is the first I've heard of either of this... shows how much I keep up... anyway, I honestly like subs better than dubs most of the time, and I admit to DLing fansubs, but when I have it's because the show hasn't even been released here. Anyway that really sucks.. and who would really sit and bash people cuz they buy dubs? Most (if not every?) US dvd anime release includes the Japanese audio with subs, so if you like it that way you could just watch it that way.

The only US anime dvds I've ever rejected was Initial D (released by Tokyopop) because.. guh they slaughtered it, not only changing almost everything in it in the dub, but even messing with the video to make it more "applealing" to kids here, and then calling it the "Tricked Out" version when you choose the english version on the DVD >.>;;;

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    ANN confirmed that the titles would resume production, but ADV said there would be a short delay or something. Which is fine by me, since two of the anime on that list were Kanon and Gurren Lagann, which I want to purchase.

Isaac Gravity said:
    I understand how the economy is looking right now but no matter how much of a fan I am I'm not coughing up almost thirty bucks for only three episodes.

Actually, very rarely does an anime DVD have three episodes. It's usually four or so. which, goes for about 90 minutes - the standard time for a feature length film. You buy feature length films, don't you? You're getting the same thing for your money.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    By this point, haven't DVDs lowered to the price of $25 (tops, usually) anyways?

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    By this point, haven't DVDs lowered to the price of $25 (tops, usually) anyways?

Yeah, and sites have deals all the time as well. I got the first ten volumes of Eureka seveN for ninety dollars. It really depends on where you shop.

Anyways, back on topic. I really don't think ADV is going to shut down anytime soon. They may just be going through a simple financial problem. Either way, they've guaranteed they aren't shutting down, nor are they cutting any licenses, so...

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
    Actually, very rarely does an anime DVD have three episodes. It's usually four or so. which, goes for about 90 minutes - the standard time for a feature length film. You buy feature length films, don't you? You're getting the same thing for your money.

Nice statement, but you should be referring this message to my friend and check back a few years ago while we're at it since that's when we had this chat. It's just something of meaning to me that I keep in mind to this very day ultimately turning me into a picky shopper or bargain hunter of sorts.

*Shrugs* I'm the type that usually waits for boxsets for the sake of value anyway. (Also points to above buying situations)

And no, I rarely buy feature length films unless I really, really, REALLY enjoyed it and feel its something I NEED in my library. I just wait for them to come on HBO or Showtime or Starz or one of those cable channels. Heck, I rarely go to the movies as the movie has to really, really REALLY catch my interest to make me want to see it.

EDIT: But to keep on topic: Whatever money issues ADV is facing the blame most likely goes to: 1) The situation pointed out by SBaby, Dubbing companies really do love pointing their fingers at subbers anyway while subbers simply say they're spreading the influence for more to go out and buy it. And while I don't care for the dubbing companies strong-arming subbers/RAW providers to stop out of their own paranoia it is an ongoing issue. 2) Money issues, everyone has their situation and just aren't willing to buy unless a certain conditon of sorts has been met. And 3) Priority, yeah sounds weird and kinda links into number 2 but buying anime DVDs aren't really the highest of tier spending issues most have. Hey, I'm just keeping an open mind here.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2011
    I was really glad when Geneon went bust. Horrible company, that. ADV's not dying though, it's the largest company of the whole R1 region, they were just restructuring their website.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I was really glad when Geneon went bust. Horrible company, that. ADV's not dying though, it's the largest company of the whole R1 region, they were just restructuring their website.

I think you may have missed the point a bit here.

People usually don't restructure a website by discontinuing the dubs of 30 + Animes. I'm not saying they're going bust, but at the very least they're giving up on those shows.

fate

PK Awesome
    Years
    From what I've heard ADV's strifes appear to be more a result of an investing company (Sojitz) pulling themselves from ADV due to financial issues on their end (and not ADV's). Because of the partnership though, recent titles ADV licensed were also owned partly by the other party... when said party pulled out, ADV lost them.

So it appears fansubbing dodged the blame-bullet for this one. HOWEVER, I still personally think they contribute to some of the problems the R1 anime industry has right now... but that's another story, for another thread :)

That's what I gathered from the 55-page thread on AnimeonDVD, that is. Stories change though... so it's kinda hard to form a solid picture of wtf happened.

If that IS the case however, ADV needs to re-acquire the licenses, hence the previously mentioned delay. Though I'm certain some series will be dropped as a result. Keroro Gunso (Sgt. Frog), sadly will be one of them I see getting dropped.

To those wanting Gurren Lagann, I wouldn't worry, ADV knows that's essentially a profit maker... I'm sure they get that one back.

ADV still seems to be afloat though. At least for now.

Back