• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Advance Map - Third Gen Pokemon Appearing As "?"

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2022
    Hey, i'm new at this hacking thing, and wanted to see what I can do as a hobby. I have a good understanding of software and computers in general, so I somewhat know what I'm doing, as I touch and go. I have a problem though, I've made a map, I've gotten it to connect to another map from Pallet Town. Tiles are set properly, and the grass is in place. But when I'm in the grass, 3rd gen pokemon appear as the "?" with the circle around it, as if you battled without a pokemon. Although Nincada works. All the first gen's seem to be fine, as well as the second. But the third gen is messed up this way. What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it?
    I'm hacking Leaf Green btw, so as far as I know, third gen is included in that version. (Is it because I don't have a national dex at this point?)
    And otherwise, if you have the time, how do I add the 4th gens to the game? I have the sprites, and I tried with that Advanced Pokemon Sprite, or whatever it was. I chose the LG ini file, and loading them up, it gives me an error with something to do with compression, when adding all. I made an extra 200 slots to fit them all, and I had to run through adding them 4 or 5 times, for all of the sprites to finally be actually in this software I used. But than I tried adding the Icons after wards, and than the gba file got corrupt, and couldn't load in the mapping or sprite editing anymore. But even so, after I managed to get all of the sprites in there, I tried using "Yape" I think it was called, and it didn't show the new pokemon sprites I had added, only up to the third gen. Anyways, sorry I'm new to this, and the basics I'm asking, are why do third gen appear as "?", and how would I actually add the fourth gens to leaf green. Thanks :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    Your problem mate is you need to give the player the National Pokédex before they fight 3rd gen Pokémon.

It's a simple script, a flag you need to set I believe, the player doesn't even need to know you've done it.

Don't know what the script is exactly, but Professor Oak gives you the National Dex so open up the scripts in a default rom and look at the scripts in Oak's lab. You should find one that says something like "Congratulations, you've been given the national dex!", and straight after should either be "set flag" or "clear flag". That flag number has to be the same in your own script.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2022
    Your problem mate is you need to give the player the National Pokédex before they fight 3rd gen Pokémon.

It's a simple script, a flag you need to set I believe, the player doesn't even need to know you've done it.

Don't know what the script is exactly, but Professor Oak gives you the National Dex so open up the scripts in a default rom and look at the scripts in Oak's lab. You should find one that says something like "Congratulations, you've been given the national dex!", and straight after should either be "set flag" or "clear flag". That flag number has to be the same in your own script.
    Oh gee, really? I didn't think the national dex actually makes that issue .-. I always though once it got enabled, it just changed the UI to show all the others. Didn't think it dipped into the game that much. But alright, thanks for the help :)

Help threads belong in Beginner's Lounge so I'm moving this there.
    Unfortunately I know nothing of scripting really. But I've edited a lot of text system files, so I'll be checking tutorials on how to get this running ! But sweet, thanks guys.

But btw, now I'm getting the "Can't display the window is disabled or invisible, when trying to open advance map -.- It's a windows error, not the software itself. It didn't install, but does it have any directory that gets saved, other than where the program is opened? I've gotta delete, and rerun it from clean now. But can't find any install path, or appdata folder or anything .-.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    What hack are you working on Frankie? If we have similar ideas we could help each other out.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2022
    Well I honestly don't have an exact idea for a hack yet :b For now I've just been screwing around with leaf green, trying to get a good feel for how to do this stuff ._. Than once I got the basics down, I was going to start throwing some ideas around :b I had a bit of an idea though, idk if I'll do anything with it.. But I was thinking about Kanto, somewhat into the future. And there's some catastrophe (something to do with a legendary), causing pokemon from many different regions to flood Kanto, and it's messing up the balance of our ecosystem.. And there will new areas in Kanto, and access to the beginning oh johto, and a chunk of a new region.. So whilst collecting badges, everything starts to get worse, some team tries taking the power of whatever legendary (maybe a new one), than they get defeated by the main character, and the legendary gets defeated, or captures.. Making everything return to normal.. So since it's way later on than usual, maybe the first 3 badges in the beginning of Kanto, than having to back track off to pallet from a different route, to get 2 more in johto, than somewhere else in a new area, for the last 3 badges. Otherwise, it's just an idea that's been floating around my mind :b

Back