• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advice on building my team, please?

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
    Years
    So I'm currently right after the Olivine gym, and my "team" (if you wanna call it that) is two Dragonairs and my Feraligatr. I do NOT want to change those three, but I am asking for suggestions to fill the other 2-3 slots for the rest of the game, as supplements, if you will. (I say 2-3 because I may need an HM slave from time to time.)

Anyway, before I post movesets I will let you know that I don't do EV/IV training as I'm just too lazy. I just want to know what kinds of Pokemon and movesets could help cover weaknesses of my current "team". Oh, and also, just FYI, I plan to evolve both Dragonairs into Dragonites, so I'm gonna post the movesets I'm gonna have each one have once they're leveled enough. Same with Feraligatr.

Dragonair/Dragonite 1
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Flamethrower
    Aqua Tail

Dragonair/Dragonite 2
    Earthquake
    Iron Tail
    Dragon Rush
    Wing Attack

Feraligatr
    Aqua Tail
    Crunch
    Ice Fang
    Slash

Again, I know it's not the best team, but I'm not asking for changes on these three Pokemon. I just want to know what Pokemon I can use to support these three. I'm open to suggestions for additional Pokemon and those additional Pokemon's movesets only. Not changes to the Pokemon listed above. Sorry for repeating that so much but I want to make my intent as clear as possible. Thanks for understanding!

eveelution

RolePlay Minion
    Years
    You definately need a ground type. Maybe...

Nidoqueen (better stats than the king)
    ~ Earth Quake
    ~ Super Power
    ~ Toxic/ Other poison move
    ~ Some rock type move?

She'll also be useful when you face red. She'll be able to take out snorlax, pikachu, and maybe Lapras, if you replace one of the last two moves with an electric attack.

Safetyfirst

Chloe Moretz Fan
    Years
    A good HM slave is Slowbro/King. I have one with Strength, Rock Smash, Surf & Whirlpool.

I suggest maybe also an Ampharos.

Bad idea for 2 Dragonairs, you will get raped by Champion.

You need to spread your team a bit, I suggest a Pidgeot for Fly or a Crobat.

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
    Years
    Well I still wanna keep my Dragonairs since I always wanted a team with two. Just because they're cute and cool and stuff. LOL

I never actually used a Nidoqueen before... I guess that's not a bad idea! (And I have plenty of Moon Stones from Night Sky Edge!)

I might use Crobat since I never used one before. I guess I'm just gonna keep trying new things. XD (That's a friendship evolution, right?)

Slowbro is doable but for Slowking I'd have to get my friend to clear his Voltorb-Flipping-schedule to trade with me. (And to think I'm the one who told him he'd get better if he practiced...) Since I'd be going through the rest of the game with it, if I use one of the Slowpoke evolutions, which is better to use? Is one significantly better than the other?

PKMN Trainer Silver

PKMN Master
    Years
    You could also benefit from a Psychic Pokemon. It'll make the E4 easier in the long run. Alakazam or Espeon (who I personality favor, as you will not need to trade) are good choices

Safetyfirst

Chloe Moretz Fan
    Years
    I might use Crobat since I never used one before. I guess I'm just gonna keep trying new things. XD (That's a friendship evolution, right?)

Slowbro is doable but for Slowking I'd have to get my friend to clear his Voltorb-Flipping-schedule to trade with me. (And to think I'm the one who told him he'd get better if he practiced...) Since I'd be going through the rest of the game with it, if I use one of the Slowpoke evolutions, which is better to use? Is one significantly better than the other?

If your using the Slowpoke/Slowking just for HMs it makes no difference as they learn the same ones. If battling Slowking is recommended as it's faster

Yes, Crobat is a friendship evolution from Golbat. If you just level it up it should evolve around 40-50, but if you just walk around with it randomly as first slot then it will evolve quicker

scootydd

"Sexy Beast"
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2010
    Get a fighting type in my opinion and a fire aswell maybe magmar and machoke.

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
    Years
    I'll go for Slowking then. I'll probably end up using it in some battles anyway.

I've got a Magby from the Pokewalker so I guess I could train that one up. Can someone suggest some good possible movesets for Magmar?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Wait, whoever told you to use Nidoqueen is out of their mind. You already have three 4x weaknesses to Ice. Why would you want another free kill for Ice-types?

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2011
    I wouldn't use Nidoqueen. I actually think Nidoking is better, but yo don't want another pokemon weak to Ice. Try out Houndoom. It has good offensive typing and a powerful Special attack. Plus, it's faster than all your other pokemon, giving you a much needed influx of speed.

Houndoom
    Overheat
    Flamethrower
    Dark Pulse
    Nasty Plot/Will-O-Wisp

Flamethrower and Dark Pulse are your main attacking moves. Use Overheat when you're about to switch or. My #1 recommendation for the last slot is Nasty Plot, which doubles your attack and sets up a sweep. However, if you give Houndoom a choice item then Nasty Plot is useless, so Will-O-Wisp can be a nasty surprise for enemy sweepers.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2011
    I'd put in a Grass, Psychic, and Flying type. Maybe not Grass, because of Ice type weaknesses.....hmmm Fighting or Fire type to combat your Dragonair's weaknesses.

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
    Years
    Hmm I rather like Houndoom. Out of curiosity, would it be too much to have a Houndoom and a fighting type in my team?

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2011
    Go for it! Fighting and Dark complement each other pretty well. I like Machamp. Depending on his ability, use a different moveset:

With No Guard
    Dynamic Punch
    Payback
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

With No Guard, every attack will always hit. This includes Dynamic Punch, which give Machamp a 100% accurate confusing STAB fighting move. Payback is for coverage.

For Guts, I like Machamp as a SubPuncher
    Focus Punch
    Substitute
    Payback
    Ice Punch/Thunderpunch/Stone Edge/Cross Chop

Set up a substitute first turn, then use Focus Punch. Once a substitute is up , Focus Punch can't be disrupted by almost every move. It's that simple. Machamp has THE strongest Focus Punch in the game after STAB, so that's some real power. Payback is for Ghosts, and the last slot is for other type coverage if you can't get a substitute up. Personally, I use Cross Chop, but that's only because I don't want to use my BP on a new move. It's pretty unexpected as well because most Machamps use No Guard.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2013
    You definately need a ground type. Maybe...

Nidoqueen (better stats than the king)
    ~ Earth Quake
    ~ Super Power
    ~ Toxic/ Other poison move
    ~ Some rock type move?

She'll also be useful when you face red. She'll be able to take out snorlax, pikachu, and maybe Lapras, if you replace one of the last two moves with an electric attack.

Actually the reason I chose the king over the Queen is because it has better stats. I foung this out in the Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver Guide. ;)

Back