• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Aggron

Spike Razzor

"Don't argue, you failed..."
    Years
    Ok, nothing much to say. But I trained it to use non Sp moves, cause we all know its Sp sucks =P. God, you would think it learns Rock Slide, Meteor Mash and Earthquake by itself... I was thinking of teaching it Aerial Ace to back up for its nasty x4 fighting weakness.

Lv:100
    Ability:Rock Head
    Holding:Leftovers
    Double Edge
    Iron Tail
    Rock Tomb
    Earthquake

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Um... not the best thing to do having iron tail. Low accuracy, and its special effect of lowering defense does not help out at all (they can simply switch or curse to remove it). Not to mention steel attacks are very very poor in terms of elemental advantages and disadvantages...

Aggron- adamant @ leftovers
    -double edge (gotta love the improved version of Return :) )
    -earthquake
    -rest
    -roar

not every pokemon needs a STAB attack... in fact there's plenty of pokemon who doesn't have a STAB attack at all. (ex: Feraligatr/Swampert, Gyarados, dancing Kingdra, Dusclops, and etc)

DragonTrainer

Shiver me timbers!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    OK here goes

Aggron Adamant@Leftovers
    -Earthquake
    -Double Edge/Take Down
    -Brick break
    -Double Team/Toxic/Roar

SwedishPoke-fan

My new profile: CYNDAQUIL
    Years
    frostweaver said:
    Um... not the best thing to do having iron tail. Low accuracy, and its special effect of lowering defense does not help out at all (they can simply switch or curse to remove it). Not to mention steel attacks are very very poor in terms of elemental advantages and disadvantages...

Aggron- adamant @ leftovers
    -double edge (gotta love the improved version of Return :) )
    -earthquake
    -rest
    -roar

not every pokemon needs a STAB attack... in fact there's plenty of pokemon who doesn't have a STAB attack at all. (ex: Feraligatr/Swampert, Gyarados, dancing Kingdra, Dusclops, and etc)

Whats "Dancing Kingdra"? I've got an normal Kingdra only!

Phantom Angel

aka Dark Heaven
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 30, 2004
    SwedishPoke-fan said:
    Whats "Dancing Kingdra"? I've got an normal Kingdra only!
    He mean "Kingdra with Dragon Dance and direct attack".
    If I ain't wrong.

DUDE!!!

Stinger

Banned
    Years
    Double-Edge (Level: 63)
    Earthquake (TM: 26 <or> Egg: Marshtomp/Swampert, Rhyhorn/Rhydon {Level})
    Iron Tail (Level: 29)
    Iron Defense (Level: 17)

Iron Tail has crap accuracy, but is there for the STAB, bringing it to 150 base power, if I'm not mistaken

Iron Defence. Why not? If your opponent is a physical attacker, this will be very handy to to.

Double-Edge.... with the ability, Rock Head, you won't take any damage from Double-Edge. It's also a pretty powerful attack

Earthquake, just in case of Steel, Rock, and Ghost types, which Earthquake will deal with swiftly. Double Edge sucks against those types, so Earthquake is there for support..... and sheer power

Spike Razzor

Years
    Iron Tail, 100 damage with 15 pp and 70 accuracy. 70 is above avarage so no it not logicaly a bad-miss-all-the-time-attack. Just think, not every move will be 100 power and accuracy like everyones fave Earthquake. I studied the use of Iron Tail, it missed 2 time throughout my battle with the Pokemon League. Wanted to say this a long, long time ago.

Steel
    Advantage:Ice, Rock.
    Not Very Effective By:Normal, Dark, Psychic, Rock, Grass, Ice, Flying, Bug, Dragon.
    Not Very Effective Against:Fire, Water, Electric, Steel.
    No Effect:Poison (No Toxic/Sludge Bomb).
    Disadvantage:Ground, Fighting, Fire (the most with its low Sp.Def.

Looking at this, we can see its got almost the same stuff as Rock. Steel has high Def but low Sp status. If it Sp becomes better in further games then Steel could possibly be very good.

Last edited:

Stinger

Banned
    Years
    He totally is. His Psychic/steel type gives him an advantage against Fighting, which once used to be a disadvantage.

And I said as far as non-legendaries go, not compared to the real legendaries. Same goes with Salamence

Spike Razzor

Years
    Stinger said:
    He totally is. His Psychic/steel type gives him an advantage against Fighting, which once used to be a disadvantage.

And I said as far as non-legendaries go, not compared to the real legendaries. Same goes with Salamence
    Ever heard of "Flamethrower" or "Earthquake"? Salamence and that other Dragon/Flying are just cheesy R/S Dragonites. Use Ice Beam, the x4 weakness is a 1 hit kill.

Stinger

Banned
    Years
    There is Flamethrower, but Metagrosses not-so-crappy Sp. Def will be able to tough it out if not used by a Fire type. If it happens to be a Fire type using it, Earthquake would own it.

Yes there's the dreaded Earthquake that can kil him, but one weakness as opposed to numerous weaknesses of an average pokemon? Metagross is cheap.

Salamence could easily bust off a Flamethrower if Ice Beam is being used by a pure ice type, which there aren't many popular non-legendary ones.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Metagross is one of the most non-cheap Pokemon ever. You pretty much know what Metagross's moveset is if you come across one.

Metagross- brave @ leftovers
    -rest
    -meteor mash
    -psychic
    -earthquake

it's almost always this moveset... metagross isn't half as fearful as it is. I don't see any point of leaving a metagross out in battle against a fire types in anyway possible even if the opponent isn't a Charizard (however i would stay against Ninetales). Metagross is guranteed to strike last pretty much, and to let the fire type get one free hit to blast you all the way down to red hp is not very good. Even if you manage to knock out the fire type after suriviving flamethrower, you won't have the speed to pull off rest immediately next turn. So either way you are doomed (just matter of order).

I doubt if there is a single team in the world that doesn't have one earthquake in it... ranging from Gyarados to Meganium, Thyplosion to Lugia, everyone has earthquake. To have a ground weakness is quite a disadvantage. Metagross is no exception. In fact almost all dancers have earthquake on them. Metagross may have powerful stats but certainly not even close to being cheap. Umbreon, Dusclops, Blissey, Snorlax and Misdreavous all have much higher potential to go in the "cheap" category.

The only ice type used nowadays is only one- Regiice as the anti dancer. All ice beams/punches come from psychic types, water types and normal types. For all of them. Salamence have no strong super effective move against them.

Now back to Aggron...

Iron Tail is way below average in terms of accuracy. Anything below accuracy of 85 is completely not usable unless there's strategies to improve accuracy such as mind reader.

Where's rest? For a pokemon with such high physical endurance it would be a complete waste not to put a recovery move on it... we do want to rid the body slam and will o wisp do we...

his physical defense is high enough. we don't need to buff it more. Aggron is completely defenseless against special attack. You'll be finding yourself doing a lot of switches with aggron to take out the evil egg to block those thunderbolts. And through switching, you just wasted many precious turns on iron defense which isn't even used in the end.

Mana Lugia

Advocate for Common Sense
    Years
    For starters:

1) RS makes EV distro confusing
    2) Metagross's stats does NOT allow it to utilize all the EVs and make it uberstrong in everything. A generic Metagross always goes for the attack stat, and leave the rest less.
    3) Going by the similar argument on attackers, then it would be true that generally, attack > Defense in RS. And following through, Metagross's defenses wouldn't be so high that pokemon can't break through because its defense would be less than the opposing attack power.
    4) Hence, Metagross isn't the best
    5) Skarmory can stall out Metagross awesomely

punkie90

You can call me PK!
    Years
    When I as raising my Aggron, I gave him the best mobes that I had.

He was undefeted, and I went to the finels ( Elite 4 ) and won with him. i was very pruod and it was truely worth the training.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    punkie90 said:
    When I as raising my Aggron, I gave him the best mobes that I had.

He was undefeated, and I went to the finals ( Elite 4 ) and won with him. i was very proud and it was truly worth the training.

first of all, all ingame battles are irrelevant, as the AI is very stupid. Also you will always have a level advantage ahead of the AI. So don't take ingame battles into account... sorry...

If you don't see what i mean... this is what i mean. A chikorita can sweep the entire GSC Elite 4 alone by herself, including the flyers and the 3 dragonites. Believe it or not, this is how bad ingame battles are.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2003
    This is the Aggron I use at Lv. 100.

Aggron @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
    -Earthquake
    -Brick Break
    -Aerial Ace
    -Rest

I use it in my Ruby Version. It's never let me down before.

Spike Razzor

Years
    Why are you people even suggesting Rest? Aggron Def/Sp.Defence sucks like crazy... By the time it wakes up its close to dead... Wonder if anyone ever thought of that. I mean alot of Pokemon have hidden Sp moves (my Electabuzz knows Psychic), Aggron is and always be a head on charge. Just like Sharpedo.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    And first of all Electabuzz has thunderbolt anyway as its sp.attack. Aggron will much rather take a blast of psychic from Electabuzz than thunderbolt...

Aggron's sp.def maybe low, but its defense is amazing unlike what you said. 400+ def is certainly very high. That is why you put rest. It has very high endurance. It may fall prey to special attack, and so this is the time where you need good sense of judgement. You need to know what the opponent will most likely have as an attack (should not be a hard thing to do as RS is pretty much totally explored by now). Also you will need rest to fight off will o wisp and the paralyzation too.

Unlike Sharpedo, Aggron doesn't have any speed at all. Also Aggron's attack power is lower than Sharpedo's.

Aggron- 319 attack, 199 speed (no personality bonus, max EV)
    Sharpedo- 339 attack, 289 speed (no personality bonus, max EV)

You'll die before you start charging... Aggron takes a lot of knowledge to use from the trainer. The trainer must know every single common moveset very well, knowing which ones have special attacks and which one doesn't, and pick Aggron's opponents carefully.

Last edited:
    Back