• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alternative Evolution Screen

Years
  • I've made a new type of evolution form in the game that I'm making, which involves a consumable item called a Proto-Crystal. I've scripted the item into the game and it works fine. I was just wondering if there was some way to script to another screen similar to the evolution screen without changing the evolution screen. Basically the same as an evolution screen, however the text would read "Your ____ 's DNA is being restructured!" without getting rid of or changing the main evolution screen.

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Well... You said you scripted your item in to the game, I.E, you've added it to PokemonItemEffects, script section... Then in your item, before you call the evolution screen use:
    Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("Your {1}'s DNA is being reconstructed!",pokemon.name)).

That's about the extent of it to be honest.

Years
  • Well... You said you scripted your item in to the game, I.E, you've added it to PokemonItemEffects, script section... Then in your item, before you call the evolution screen use:
    Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("Your {1}'s DNA is being reconstructed!",pokemon.name)).

That's about the extent of it to be honest.

Well, that works, but I meant directing this specific item's use to some kind of alternate Evolution screen, or is that not possible?

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Everything is possible... I don't understand the question because there is no alternate evo screen... If you've made one, just call your new method instead of the original evolution method.

Years
  • Everything is possible... I don't understand the question because there is no alternate evo screen... If you've made one, just call your new method instead of the original evolution method.

Theoretically, it IS possible to make an alternate evo screen if I edit the evobackground file. My question was basically, how would i go about creating an alternate evo screen that would ONLY be used for this method of evolution.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    Open the PokemonEvolution screen and find this line:

Code:
    def pbEvolution(cancancel=true)

modify it to this:

Code:
    def pbEvolution(cancancel=true, crystal=false)

Now you can call the evolution scene in PokemonItemEffects, like with other evolution items, and pass the arguments as such:

Code:
    evo=PokemonEvolutionScene.new
    evo.pbStartScreen(pokemon,newspecies)
    evo.pbEvolution(true,true)
    evo.pbEndScreen

Now in the pbEvolution method, you can perform a check for the crystal. Perhaps you want to change the message:

Change the following:
    Code:
    Kernel.pbMessageDisplay(@sprites["msgwindow"],_INTL("\\se[]What?\r\n{1} is evolving!\\^",@pokemon.name))

To this:

Code:
    message = crystal ? _INTL("\\se[]Your {1}'s DNA is being restructured!\\^", @pokemon.name) : _INTL("\\se[]What?\r\n{1} is evolving!\\^", @pokemon.name)
    Kernel.pbMessageDisplay(@sprites["msgwindow"],message)

You can perform all kinds of checks on the crystal variable. If you want to change the background of the scene depending on if the crystal is used or not, you'll have to pass an argument to pbStartScreen like we did above.

Let me know if that works out for you.

Back