• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

American?

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    So my Mom and I were discussing Anime to use for a program at the library where my Mom works. She had already gotten "Case Closed" (which is actually pretty good) and then I had sort of suggested the Pokemon Anime. Though childish, it still is good Anime. I don't really watch that much (in fact I think this is the first thread I've started in the Anime section) but I figured it's fairly cool. She said that due to Pokemon Anime being part of American culture for so long that it's seems more American to her than Japanese. It's been so westernfied at this point that it doesn't even seem like Anime. While this holds true in some cases I don't think so. What do you guys think? Do you think that Pokemon Anime has been part of our culture for so long that it can no longer be considered Anime? I know it technically is, but you get what I'm saying. It has already been shown in 4kids rediculous Xenophobia. I guess it's sort of like Chinese food huh? Anyways, tell me what you guys think!

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    Chinese Food, although now an American Staple, is still Chinese Food.

Pizza, although again, an American Staple, is still Italian.

Pokemon, although a (arguably) American Staple, is still Anime.

xDaisuke0

Aspiring Professor
    Years
    I dont think it's just the Anime, but the Games, and internet fame, and fame in general. + Memes :3
    They're all American Started.
    Mudkipz and pokeymanz were made by us, and us Americans created the 'Pokemon' we see in pop culture now.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    I can figure how your mom would see that. Pikachu gets a parade float on Thanksgiving, on the cover of Time I believe, etc. Right now I just consider it a global phenomenom though I still feel it's a real part of Japanese culture today. Not so much American culture these days since it isn't as popular as it was in the 90's and even then I wouldn't have considered it part of our culture.

The above makes sense right?

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    I'm pretty sure the show itself hasn't been "westernized." The episodes that air here are edited and dubbed to reflect western familiarities (rice balls/onigiri become sandwiches, "blaster bombs" became "blaster balls"). They do that with pretty much everything that's been adapted for American (and other) audiences. It's just to reflect the values in different cultures, it doesn't make it not-anime.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    The poster above me pretty much nailed it. Localization of the franchise doesn't make it less Japanese in it's "raw" form. The entire Sinnoh region's plot is basically Pokemon's own take on the Shinto religion, the indigenous religion of Japan.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    Chinese Food, although now an American Staple, is still Chinese Food.

Pizza, although again, an American Staple, is still Italian.

Pokemon, although a (arguably) American Staple, is still Anime.

Actually you can argue about Pizza, although it might have been invented by an Italian, he was in America when he invented it.

Back