• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] An Apple a Day (pg 13)

delongbi

I C U
Years
Chapter 42: (Act 3) Time

"So the search of Seth Hasting's mansion was a total waste of time. Didn't find a scrap of evidence," Sparky said, waving his hands on my computer screen. "Nai, are you even listening?"

I scrolled through the homeownership records, pondering what I was seeing.

"Sparky," I said. "Professor Blubber recounted that Hastings moved to Cape Caution in 2005. He moved from Celadon City where he had been studying. Less than a year later, Hastings bought the mansion. Is this correct?"

"Yup. We have records from his professors at Celadon City."

I scrolled up again. "According to these homeownership records, Hastings also bought a house in Winsk City in 2003. I have a vivid memory of him moving in, and I never remember him leaving for long periods of time to travel to Celadon City. In fact, he rarely left his house."

"Uhh…"

I frowned. "Something's not right."

<Liam Mendol, would you like the opportunity of a lifetime? Would you like to travel back in time and save your cousin?>

"Yes," I said. No hesitation, no angry refusal at receiving aid from a legendary Pokemon, and certainly no emotion.

My heart thudded loudly in my chest as Celebi smiled slowly. My gut suddenly twisted, my vision blurred, and I was acutely aware of every inch of my skin—the way my clothes rustled against my skin, the smoothness of Sticky's Pokeball in my right hand still slightly outstretched, the cool breeze against my neck—

My vision cleared. I was standing on a beach, facing Slateport City with the ocean breeze against my back. Slateport's old fountain stood a couple hundred meters in front of me, and beyond the fountain loomed the old shipyard.

I had to be in the past. In recent years, both the fountain and the shipyard had been torn down.

I noted Celebi was nowhere to be found.

Behind me, I heard muttering. "Stupid Liam… thinking Kyogre's better and leaving… what a wussy-pants…"

I spun around.

A boy with tousled black hair marched across the shoreline, muttering to himself. He was wearing a green t-shirt several sizes to big for him and swim trunks covered in little Minuns. I remember I'd had a pair covered in Plusles.

"Landon!"

When he heard his name, the boy stopped marching to face me. Time had blurred my memory. The Landon I remembered had pale skin, clean nails, and bright green eyes—a mirror image of myself. This boy was covered in sand, his cheeks burnt from the sun. The eyes were the same, though.

Behind Landon, the tide appeared to be receding. The ocean's horizon rose, as if the world was tilting. A few places along the horizon the giant wave had already broken; I could tell just how close the tsunami was by how fast the white foam approached.

We had seconds, a minute at most.

I released my Honchkrow and grabbed Landon around the waist, pulling him with me onto the bird. Landon struggled in my arms, making it difficult for Honchkrow to take off. "Help! Get off of me you kidnapping piece of Houndoom poo—"

I caught Landon's hands behind his back and pulled lightly, effectively quieting the boy. "See that wave? In less than a minute it's going to hit the beach and then Slateport, killing thousands of people and Pokemon and leaving thousands more homeless. I'm saving your life."

Honchkrow took off. I shielded Landon's eyes from the sand kicked up by Honchkrow's flapping wings. Landon started to squirm again. "Who are you? Let me down—they're still on the beach! Liam and my uncle—"

"Will be fine," I finished. Honchkrow's flight faltered as he struggled to keep us airborne with Landon twisting around. I didn't have time to deal with this.

I released Sticky, who transformed into a Noctowl while plummeting towards the sand. "Honchkrow, keep Landon out of the way," I ordered, leaping off of Honchkrow. Sticky caught me, gliding out of a dive. Over my shoulder I called, "I'll meet you above the harbor. Stay in the air."

Honchkrow honked in understanding as I directed Sticky into the city.

Despite the chill in the air, the market was lively. It was strange to see everyone bustling about, oblivious to the inevitable devastation mere seconds away. I scanned the row of shops beyond the market, my eyes landing on a store called The Submerged Swamp.

Only once we'd landed did I realize I could've called out a warning to the people in the market. No changing that now. I shoved through the double doors of The Submerged Swamp not daring to check how far away the tsunami was.

I pushed past a woman examining silverware and ran down an aisle of cleaning supplies, searching over the short, cluttered shelves for that braid of black hair—

A short blonde girl wearing a white dress blocked my way as I turned the corner of the aisle. I didn't recognize her until her hand turned pink and elongated to point out the window. "Liam, we leave now. Big wave here, crush, dead—"

"Out of my way, Sticky." I stepped around the Ditto, spotting a staircase leading to the basement. A sharp memory flashed across my mind.

"Let me show you the vases we have in the basement," I heard the store manager say.

That's where they'd be.

I leapt down the steps two at the time. Halfway down, I paused to scan the room. "Mom?"

A woman turned to look at me. She had small wrinkles at the corners of her grey eyes. Her hair hung in a long dark braid down her back. She was shorter than I remembered.

"Velkan?"

Suddenly, I was flung downwards, my head spinning as my back hit a wall. For a moment, I thought I was back in the nightmares I had when I was younger about my grandfather's Alakazam flinging me about psychically. Then I realized my clothes were wet.

I was sitting on a pile of broken ceramic bowls, a steady flow of water pouring over my legs from the staircase I'd just fallen down. The ceiling cracked. Something slimy wrapped around my ankle.

Wouldn't it be ironic if I saved Landon only to die here? I nearly chuckled as I craned my head around to get one last look at my mother's face before the ceiling caved in. The world seemed to darken as my eyes roamed the room, and before I could locate the dark braid, my consciousness slipped away, taking with it any chance I had of saving my mother.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

When I woke up shivering on a viscid surface, my first thought was that Anita was playing some absurdly immature prank on me.

My second thought was one of relief: I was no longer trapped in a nightmare where I'd failed to save my mother.

My third thought was an acknowledgement of my surroundings, accompanied by a wave of utter despair at the realization that I had not, in fact, been dreaming. I was sitting on a Tentecruel, floating in the middle of the ocean; there was no land in sight. Above me, my Honchkrow flew in circles with a small dark figure on his back, a shadow against the clear blue sky.

The sun beat down on my stinging face. I could tell from the way it hurt to grimace that I was sunburnt.

I shakily got to my feet. My clothes were damp and heavy, clinging to my skin as if I'd had a fever. "Sticky, what happened?" I asked the Tentecruel.

Sticky could only answer with bubbles. Of course, I already knew the answer. I'd felt a tickling around my ankle just before I fell unconscious. Sticky's tentacle. Sticky had saved me before I drowned and left my mother and aunt to die. From the lack of land in sight, we were at least a day out from Slateport City, well into the Southern Sea if Sticky was heading back towards Acceber.

I needed to hear it. I put two fingers in my mouth and whistled. Honchkrow dove and neatly landed above Sticky's red orbs next to me. Landon was sleeping on the Honchkrow's back, clutching his feathers tightly. I climbed behind Landon, careful not to jostle him.

"Honchkrow, you're going to have to carry both of us for a few minutes." Honchkrow nodded and took off. He'd be able to transport both of us for forty-three minutes if my calculations of his endurance were correct.

Honchkrow hovered steadily over the water while Sticky reverted back into her amorphous body and then seamlessly transformed into a blonde human girl. A blonde girl who, unfortunately, didn't know how to swim.

"Pick her up," I said irritably as Sticky floundered. This would significantly lessen how much time Honchkrow could carry us. Honchkrow circled, gaining momentum, and then swooped, picking Sticky up in his talons.

"We have ten minutes before Honchkrow's endurance fails. Start talking," I said, peering over Honchkrow's wings. Sticky's wet, blonde hair was caught in Honchkrow's talons, but she didn't seem to notice. She clung to Honchkrow's legs, watching the ocean with mild curiosity. When Honchkrow swooped to catch an air current, she giggled.

"Sticky."

"Sorry. Never swam and flew as a person." As Sticky turned to face me, her wet t-shirt expanded into a large windbreaker and her soaked jeans puffed into large sweatpants.

I frowned. Dittos could only transform by reverting to their original form first. Rita Teal had proven it through both experimentation and analysis of the brain. What Sticky was doing should be impossible.

"Right." Sticky nodded at me. "We went into store. I see big wave. Rita sad if you die. I sad if you die. I turn into mighty Tentecruel and save you. Swim, swim, swim. Find Honchkrow and boy. When sun just leaves high point, you wake up."

I had the sudden urge to go back. To see what had happened to the store, to my mother.

Unfortunately, I'd seen it before.

"Do you know who I was looking for in the store, Sticky?" I asked slowly. Patiently, even.

Sticky looked down. "Your mom. You yell for her."

"That's right. Do you know what she looked like?"

"Woman with braid." Sticky turned towards me, but wouldn't make eye contact. She pointed to her eyes, the color of a pine tree in the evening. Her eyes turned two shades darker, a green so dark it was almost black. "Her eyes this color."

"So why didn't you save her?" I hated this feeling in my chest. This helpless, worthless—Honchkrow swerved, preventing me from tumbling over his wing.

I clutched Honchkrow's feathers and reminded myself that it was futile to return to Slateport City. My mother was dead.

"S-s-sorry. Couldn't reach anyone but you with limbs. Building going to collapse. No time. Sorry. My fault. Other people dead, too. Had to choose."

If she had the power to change her clothing, she could have elongated a tentacle. She had the power to save my mother. If I hadn't been knocked out…

No, there was no purpose in angering. Regret and sadness were useless. My mother was dead. She's been dead for seven years.

I couldn't tell if the water on Sticky's face was tears or just seawater.

My eyes stung. The wind, surely.

Honchkrow was flapping his wings much faster than he had been before picking up Sticky.

Focus. What to do now. Ideally, Celebi would appear now that I'd saved Landon, and she would take us back to my own time. Then again, ideally, there wouldn't be a tsunami, Slateport City wouldn't be in ruins, and my mother wouldn't be an unrecognizable, bloated corpse.

If Sticky had been out of her Pokeball when Celebi appeared, she could have transformed into Celebi and taken us back in time again.

Focus.

If I was stuck in this time, so be it. I'd need to find an isolated place to live with Landon, somewhere we could live peacefully with no chance of running into anyone we knew. Cianwood, Winsk City, or perhaps somewhere in Unova.

And what would happen if I did run into someone I knew? My uncle, my father, a classmate, myself? I never had in my time…

And thus logically, I never would. I frowned. We were several meters closer to the ocean than we'd been a minute ago.

Focus. I wasn't focusing.

I suddenly wondered what Anita and Erin would do. Where would they go? It was laughable, considering anyone else in my situation. Anita would find another region to challenge gym leaders in, maybe put on a ridiculous disguise. No, Erin was the one with disguises. Erin would do anything from joining the circus to opening a poetry shop. She already had the poetry book she was so protective of…

Poetry.

Abruptly, my mind shuffled several pieces of information into place. I recalled the first page of Erin's poetry book:

There once was a boy who will went,
to greatest unhappiness he was sent.
Never could it be,
if not for me,
the boy's time would be ill spent.

So dear reader you see,
If you happen to be he,
When all rules are bent,
Jump through that vent—
And remember me, I plea!

I blinked. It was absurd. That poem was about me. If you happen to be he… remember me.

The book was Mysteries of Natures. The author was Seth Hastings. Professor Blubber had mentioned that. He'd also mentioned Hastings lived in Winsk City.

It was a start.

"Sticky, transform into a large flying Pokemon—Charizard or Salamance, perhaps." I wasn't sure what Pokemon Sticky had encountered. If I ever met Rita again in this lifetime, I'd make sure she introduced Team Glop'emm's Dittos to every type of Pokemon Team Glop'emm had obtained.

"Haven't but…" Sticky transformed. I noted she reverted back into a Ditto before transforming into a Dragonair. At some point, I'd have to ask about her transformation ability—sometime when I could think about her transformation without remembering my mother's death.

I shook Landon lightly. "Huh? Where—ahhh!" I caught Landon around the waist, before he fell off of Honchkrow in surprise.

"We're relocating. Don't squirm." I picked Landon up and jumped. Sticky neatly caught us on her long, sea-colored back before we hit the water, gliding upwards. I returned Honchkrow to his PokeBall, murmuring thanks. "Sticky, head east, to Acceber."

It'd be three or four days before we reached Acceber, even if Honchkrow and Sticky alternated in carrying us. Finding a place to settle down for the night could be difficult.

Landon turned around, alarmed. "We have to go back! Liam and Uncle Velkan—and I want mom."

I grabbed Landon by the back of his shirt to keep him from sliding off of the Dragonair. Picking him up in the air, I turned him around and sat him back on Sticky now facing me. "Liam and Velkan are fine. Your mother is dead."

"No, she's not!" Landon punched at my legs. "How would you know? You're not like grandpa's Tal or those freaky psychic gym leaders. You can't see anywhere so you don't know."

"Landon—"

"And you're an evil kidnapper even if you didn't try to give me candy. I should've never come with you. My aunt always told me and Liam to—"

"Run away screaming," I finished with Landon.

The boy's eyebrows furrowed. "You kind of look like me."

"Yes."

"And you know what to do if you find a kidnapper. Who… who are you?"

"I'm Liam, from the future."

Landon's eyes widened. "No. You can't be. You… you're way too cool-guy-ish to be Liam. Liam always runs back crying to Aunt Sue when something bad happens."

"Like when you ate my goldfish."

"I did not eat your goldfish. Eliza dared me to put it in my mouth. If you hadn't screamed when you saw the tail sticking out of my mouth, then I wouldn't have accidently crunched it with my teeth. I bought you a new one anyway."

"I remember. You asked Uncle Don what you could do to earn money for a goldfish. He had you take out the trash for a week. The garbage bin was bigger than you were—I laughed when you fell in that one time."

"I got the fish though," Landon said.

"I named it Kyogre."

Landon looked over the sea. "You… you're really Liam."

"Yes."

"And we're not going home."

"Slateport City's in ruins." I wouldn't tell him there were several survivors who would get the city back up and running within the year. No reason to keep him hopeful of returning.

"And my mom… she's…"

"Your mother and Aunt Sue are dead," I said. It was strange watching Landon. When my father told me they were dead, I remember crying for weeks. It took just one look out our window at the water damage or one glimpse of my father's tears to start the waterworks.

Landon's face, however, was dry. His eyes were hard, determined even. "Where are you taking me?" he asked.

"Acceber, where I live now, where we should be able to find someone who can help us."

"We need help?"

I looked at Landon sharply. For a scrawny four-year old he was perceptive. Perhaps more so than I'd been at his age.

"I'd like to return with you to my own time," I said. "However, I don't know if that's possible. Celebi allowed me to come back in time to save you, but hasn't appeared to return us. Perhaps Celebi has something more in store for us, or perhaps I'm to live in this time period from now on. I don't know. We're going to Acceber to find a professor who will hopefully provide us with answers."

"How do you know that professor guy knows anything at all?"

"I don't."

"Sounds like you don't know too much," Landon said stiffly. He turned around to face forward, balancing his body so he wouldn't fall when he moved his leg from one side of the Dragonair to the other. "Guess you are still Liam."

I nearly smiled.

We managed to find an island to sleep on the first two nights of travel, but the third night Sticky and Honchkrow were forced to carry us through the night. As the sun was rising the next morning, we finally spotted a cargo ship trudging its way towards Artemis Town. The captain was kind enough to let us sleep on the deck… after we scrubbed it.

That evening, Landon and I stretched out and relaxed on the highest deck while the crew provided food for all of the ship's Pokemon below the deck, Sticky and Honchkrow included. "My arms and knees hurt," Landon complained, lying down beside me.

I put my hands behind my head, watching the cloudless sky. "You'll get over it. Your future surely contains far worse suffering." I was just glad to not be feeling seasick.

"I liked you better when you weren't such a pesim-pesi…err…"

"Pessimist."

"That's what I meant! And per-perfectionist. My Liam was happier."

"My Landon was brainle—oops, sorry, you are the Landon I knew." I still marveled at the idea.

Landon turned his head and stuck out his tongue. When he rolled over onto his stomach, he spotted the six PokeBalls on my belt. He jumped to his knees so quickly that I was surprised the momentum didn't flip him onto his back. "You have more Pokemon? I thought it was just Ditto and the bird! What do you have? How'd you catch them? Are they evolved? I wanna hear."

And so for several hours I recounted to Landon how I raised Notal into a Mightyena before I even stepped foot in Acceber, how my Umbreon named herself Bree, and how I found my Spiritomb in the local mall's toilet bowl. Questions led to more questions, and in the following days I found myself telling Landon about my journey through Acceber to destroy Mew, my father's ascension through Team Glop'emm, and my current status as gym leader of Drape Town.

Landon looked at me with eyes full of admiration, and I wondered what all my wanderings and plots meant now that Landon stood before me, alive.

We arrived in Acceber somewhere above Apoosh forest after sunset on our sixth day of travel. I had Sticky fly us beyond the forest, past Drape Town and over the Nutshell River to the base of Hail Mountain to camp out for the night. Harvey Darcleye, the Master of Team Glop'emm in this time, had put much effort into setting up hidden bases in Apoosh forest and niches of Drape Town. Though I knew where each base was located and was very capable of avoiding every one, it was likely that the surrounding area was monitored. Were a lone teenager and a four-year-old boy to be spotted, Team Glop'emm would not hesitate to attempt a Pokemon robbery.

If I ever caught grunts that didn't attempt that type of robbery, I'd permanently dismiss them from fieldwork.

The campsite I chose was a clearing in the midst of a large cluster of apple trees. As our food supply was running low, we ate apples for dinner. I had a new shrinkable set of pans Anita had bought me as a "sorry for dumping your stuff in the ocean" gift while we were shopping in Artemis Town. Sticky transformed into a Charmander and we had baked apples for dessert.

I watched Landon eat his second apple as we sat around Sticky, waiting for the baked apples to cook. "What?" he asked between bites. An apple peel fleck stuck to his nose when he took another bite.

I shrugged.

Landon took another bite of the apple, looked away, and then glanced at me again. His green eyes contrasted sharply with the red apple. "What? Why are you staring?"

"For ten years, you were dead to me." I reached out and brushed the apple fleck Landon's nose. Landon scrunched his nose in distaste. "And now, despite our age difference, despite everything that's happened to us, I still feel we're… connected. It's just strange. Strange that you're here and I can just talk to you."

"Well, I just went to the playground with you last week. You could talk to me then, too."

Yes, but for me that was ten years ago. Talking to anyone else, I would have smiled and shook my head. But not with Landon. "You're awfully insightful for a four-year-old."

"Well, even though you're better at numbers and school stuff, grandpa always called me the 'emotionally smart one.' Cuz I'm good at emotions and stuff."

The sweet smell of apples wafted through the air. "The apples are ready. Let's have some."

That night, I slept easier than I ever had since the day I discovered Landon had died.

I felt oddly fulfilled when I woke up the next morning, though I didn't remember my dreams. The sun hadn't risen, but that was typical. I rarely woke up after six.

I carefully climbed out of my sleeping bag, careful not to budge Landon, who had curled up next to me.

"Honch." Honchkrow was perched overhead, watching over our campsite.

I nodded to the bird. "Thank you for watching through the night. You can go find breakfast. Find Landon something, too." As Honchkrow flapped away, I pulled out two PokeBalls. It'd been too long. There were twin flashes of red.

Notal, my Mightyena, and Bree, my Umbreon, appeared.

"Notal, protect Landon. Bree and I are going to train." Notal's nose flared. She growled challengingly.

"Yes, this is actually Landon. Celebi's brought us back in time, and if you want the details, ask Honchkrow when he brings back breakfast." Notal growled again. Beside her, Bree rolled her red eyes, turned tail, and walked away from camp. "Don't give me that," I said to the Notal. "A few weeks in your PokeBall hasn't killed you. When you chose to come with me instead of staying in Drape Town, I warned you that we'd have to be careful. If someone were to recognize you or any of the others as my Pokemon, I would have been identified. Even Anita would realize I was Drape Town's gym leader if she noticed that all of my Pokemon were dark-typed. And if just one person found me… Acceber's gym leaders and gym challengers would impede my ability to track Mew."

Notal begrudgingly sad down next to Landon.

I turned and followed Bree past the apple trees.

When we a quarter of a mile away, far enough away to avoid waking Landon, I stopped walking. Bree turned around, her rings glittering gold in the dark, illuminating the nearby brush.

In a flash, she disappeared in a Faint Attack.

I tensed my legs and turned thirty degrees to my left. As Bree hit me, I crouched, rolled backwards onto my back, and inflicted a two-legged kick to Bree's stomach, sending her flying through the air into the brush. The momentum of Bree's attack kept me rolling in a backwards summersault. I landed with the tips of my shoes buried in the soft soil, my chest held aloft from the ground by my arms, angled in preparation for Bree's next attack.

Bree didn't disappoint. I had a second to prepare for her quick attack.

Using my arms and legs to push off the ground, I jumped over her, but Bree changed tactics mid-attack. She gazed at me with red, hypnotic eyes.

I only registered her Confuse Ray attack for a moment.

Landon pulled on my sleeve. My clothes were dripping wet. "Liam, Liam, look! They're dying Liam."

I looked. My mother and aunt lied on the damp ground, their faces pale and hair wet.

"Do something, Liam!" But I could only watch as my mother's body deflated like an air mattress. Her mouth moved but I couldn't hear the words. "Liam, you're useless!" Landon cried. He punched my shins over and over—

Bree knocked me over. When she bared her teeth, I knew she was going in for a Bite attack. I thrust my left arm in front of me. Bree took the bait and snapped at my arm. I rolled, intending to punch her with my right fist—

Anita sat on a stool, her eyes glowing purple. She leaned forward and smirked at me, her hands gripping the top of the stool. "Of course, I'll tell you everything about Mew, Liam. I have nothing to hide."

"I'm listening," I said.

Anita's grin grew wider. "You're a smart boy. I thought you'd have figured it out by now." Something wrapped around my ankle. Sticky's tentacle, I thought, but when I looked down, it was Mew's tail. I looked to see where the tail led—

Bree sat beside me, looking at the sky. The sun was already rising. Damn Confuse Ray.

I rubbed my head and got to my feet. "I'm out of shape. Need a better sparring partner than Anita, I imagine."

"Umbre," Bree agreed. We walked back to camp in silence.

As we neared the cluster of apple trees, I heard Landon yell, "Buster, use Ember!"

Bree and I broke into a run. Bree, of course, reached the clearing before me. I knew Landon's actions couldn't be too deplorable because she simply stood by an apple tree, unmoving.

I reached the clearing.

Landon's Hondour was battling Notal. Notal easily dodged Buster's fire and closed in, biting down on Buster's leg. Notal leapt away as Buster spurted flames wildly.

Buster stumbled forward and swayed unsteadily. This was over. Notal had a nasty Poison Fang.

"Buster!" Landon yelled as the Houndour collapsed. He ran to his Pokemon.

I returned Notal and Bree to their PokeBalls. "Landon, return Buster."

"He's hurt! I need a potion."

"No, he needs an antidote. I don't have one and leaving a poisoned Pokemon out of its PokeBall only increases the rate of affliction," I said. I frowned. "Why were you battling Notal?"

Landon was bent over Buster, cradling his head. He patted his pocket. "I… I don't know where Buster's PokeBall…"

I spotted a PokeBall in the grass where Landon had been standing. I swiftly crossed the clearing, picked up the PokeBall, and returned Buster.

"What were you doing?"

"I recognized Notal. She used to sit like that by you whenever Tal was around. Buster used to always beat her so I thought we'd battle and it'd be close since she's older…"

"That was incredibly unintelligent. We're low on food and the closest Pokemon Center is over fifty miles away. Notal's had ten years to improve; Buster didn't stand a chance."

Landon's face flushed. "Well Notal didn't have to attack so hard!"

"She didn't." I pulled out Sticky's PokeBall and released the Ditto. "I need to talk to you," I said to Sticky. I glanced at Landon. He looked pitiful, still sitting on the ground with his fists clenched and staring at his feet determinedly. "Landon, gather some apples for later."

Landon complied, muttering to himself while he got up. When I turned back to Sticky, she was already transformed into a blonde girl. "First of all, Sticky, can you transform into Scarmory or Charizard?"

"No. Never seen. Why?"

"We need to reach the top of Hail Mountain. Hail Mountain is notorious for its hail and snow storms. It will be difficult to fly through this weather on a typical flying Pokemon—Charizard or Scarmory are the best options."

"Dragonair change weather. No hail," Sticky replied.

"The cold will still be harmful to you. In addition, several ice Pokemon live within the caves and forests spread over the mountain. If you were to be hit by a single Ice Beam, you'd probably faint."

Sticky tugged at her ponytail. "Will have to do."

"I had a thought. Before, over the sea, you were able to change your clothing without morphing back into a Ditto," I said. You could have changed the length of your tentacles to save my mother. I looked past Sticky's shoulder, unwilling to meet her eyes.

"Yes. Small clothing change easy. Know material. Rita teach me properties."

"So theoretically, could you change into a whole different Pokemon without transforming back into a Ditto?"

"No, don't know properties. Have to rely on transform memory." She had to be referring to the memory stored in a Ditto's brain, replacing the area of the brain typically devoted to evolution. The complete memory of all encountered Pokemon would only exist when she was a Ditto.

I nodded. "And Rita tells me that you created that body for yourself. How?"

"Imagine. Combine transform memory."

"Then can you imagine a Pokemon with different typing? For instance, a Dragonair that's a partial fire type and thus resistant to ice?"

"Never try. When transformed, don't know... properties."

"Humans have different properties, though, and you were able to pick and choose which properties you wanted to have in this form."

"Human one species. Pokemon several."

I sighed. Given more time and Rita's equipment, perhaps I could come up with a series of experiments to test exactly what Sticky was capable of. However, under these circumstances, it was most important to meet with Seth Hastings. If Sticky proved unable to take us all the way to the top of Hail Mountain, I had my own Pokemon I could rely on.

"Alright, Sticky, transform into Dragonair. We're leaving." I turned to find Landon, but Sticky sidestepped in front of me.

"Mr. Master, we go home soon, right? I miss Rita. Want to help."

"You are helping, Sticky. I don't know about seeing Rita, though. We could be stuck in this time." I moved past the girl, scanning the apple trees. Landon was in the largest tree, closest to Hail Mountain's steepening slope.

What would happen if I contacted the Rita of this time? She didn't know my father yet. In fact, she might not even be working for Team Glop'emm. It was sometime this year that she would join. Until I understood exactly how the time stream worked, exactly how my actions would influence the future, perhaps it was best to have as little contact as possible with people from this time.

"Landon, ready to go?" I called as I reached the large apple tree. Landon, leapt out of the tree, landing beside me. He held four apples in his arms and gathered up the few he'd plucked from high branches and dropped to the ground. He didn't look at me.

We walked back to our camp area and packed everything into my bag in silence. When Honchkrow cawed overhead, I returned him to his PokeBall.

"Landon, I apologize. I was a little harsh before," I finally said. "We should reach Winsk City on top of Hail Mountain before dark tonight, and we can take Buster to the Pokemon Center." I unclipped Buster's PokeBall from my belt and offered it to Landon.

He took the PokeBall and pocketed it. We climbed atop Sticky and took off.

Two hours later, the air was much colder and it was more difficult to breathe. Though the morning had begun sunny and cloudless, Sticky had created thick overhead clouds in an attempt to keep some of the warmth in the atmosphere. It wasn't having much of an effect. I'd had to unshrink the sleeping bags and wrapped them around Landon and me to stay warm.

Sticky pushed through the thin, cold air with more endurance than I'd credited her with.

By mid-afternoon, we were flying past cliffs made entirely of ice. Scaling Hail Mountain was one of the most challenging climbs in the world and by far the most challenging in Acceber. Nai Shivicle, the gym leader of Winsk City, rarely received gym challenges simply because it was so difficult to reach the top of the mountain.

When we took a brief break on a ledge made entirely of ice, Landon huddled in my large green sleeping bag and asked, "When we meet the Hastings man, you're not going to leave me, are you?"

Sticky munched on a few apples I tossed to her. "Where else would I go?"

Landon just looked at me.

"No, I'm not going to leave you."

"What if a big monster Pokemon, like Kyogre, takes you away?"

"Kyogre can't climb mountains."

"Fine. Articuno or Lugia."

I bent down so I could see Landon eye to eye. Is cheeks were rosy from the cold. "Landon, if anything separates us, I will come find you."

"Dragonair!" Sticky declared. Whether it was an agreement or an indication that she was done eating, I couldn't say. We climbed back on her back and continued up the mountain.

With Sticky's ability to hold the weather at bay, the biggest challenge we encountered was a group of wild Glalies trying to shoot Sticky down with Ice Beam. Sticky paralyzed them with a weak electric shock from her horn, allowing us to escape unscathed.

The Pokemon Center was closed for the evening when we reached Winsk City. This was one of the few towns, I reflected, in which the Pokemon Center could afford to close at all.

Landon held my arm tightly as we made our way to the nearest house; the ground was completely coated in ice. We knocked on the door and asked directions to Seth Hasting's house. It was two more attempts before a man recognized the name as "the Professor who just moved here" and pointed us to the hut on the outskirts of the town.

The hut was small and slightly decrepit. A large portion of the gutter was hanging loosely, weighed down by the snow, and icicles hung from the roof around the hut's windows. Smoke rose from the chimney slowly, as if it was an effort to keep the smoke rising.

I knocked on the door as Sticky transformed into her human form, this time wearing a thick fur coat.

A man wearing a maroon bathrobe and large, round bifocal glasses answered the door. He had dark bags under his eyes, and his eyes were bloodshot, as if he'd been crying.

"Seth Hastings?"

"Come in, it's cold out. And please, call me Bert."

As we entered, Bert peered over my shoulder. "Ah, and this must be Landon."

I stopped walking and stepped in front of Landon. "How do you—"

In front of me, by the living room hearth, fluttered Celebi. Landon gripped my arm tighter. "It's Celebi," he whispered.

I scanned the room. To my left there was a desk cluttered with papers. I spotted a paper that read, There once was a boy who will went. The walls of the room were made of wood. There were no paintings or photos hanging up. Across the room, there were two doors. One door was closed, but the other doorway I could see led to a kitchen. On my right was the living room, complete with a cushioned couch, thick carpet, and a fireplace.

"Why you here?" Sticky asked Celebi, stepping in front of Landon and me.

Celebi looked at me expectantly.

"Landon," I said. "You need to let go of my arm so I can hear what Celebi wants to say."

"You can control whether you can let psychics into your brain?" Landon asked. I frowned at him. This wasn't the time.

Landon scowled and let go of my arm.

I opened my mind.

<I'm here to take you home, of course.>

Dread filled my stomach. I knew where this was leading. To be sure, I asked, "If you are just going to take us back to my time, why drag us all the way to Winsk City?"

<First of all, you're the one who decided to come here. Second of all, who said there was an 'us' involved? I'm only taking you back to your own time. You've accomplished what you came back in time to accomplish, and Professor Hastings here has so kindly agreed to raise Landon in your stead.>

"No," I said.

<You really don't have an option. I'll give you a few minutes to say your goodbyes.>

My head felt like it was spinning. Not again. I couldn't lose Landon again. "Sticky, trans—"

<Do you really want to fight a Pokemon that can time travel? Use that logical brain of yours. Struggle, and I'll pop you back to your own time now and disappear completely from your life. You won't even be able to say goodbye. I'm trying to be nice by offering so don't waste it.>

I turned to Hastings, angry. "You'll take good care of him, you swear?"

The man flinched. "Y-yes. Of course."

"Why did you agree to this?" I asked.

Bert smiled sadly. "I had a son once, too."

Landon tugged at my sleeve. "What's going on, Liam?"

Ignoring him, I turned to Sticky. Whatever happened in the future had already happened. Landon's body had washed ashore four years from now. That meant either Landon would actually die, or…

"Sticky, you're staying here. In four years you need to go back to Slateport City, imagine how Landon's body would look if he had died the day of the Tsunami, transform into his corpse, and allow yourself to be found. You will be buried alive. After you can do as you please. I'm sure you can come up with some Pokemon that can dig out of a coffin. I'll keep your PokeBall so there's no possible way for anyone to catch you. If you find me in the future, I'll return it to you."

"I already knew," Sticky said. A strange reply.

"Liam?" Landon tugged on my sleeve again.

"Already knew what, Sticky?"

"Knew this happen." She stood a little taller, proudly. "I told me."

"Liam!"

I turned to Landon, putting my hands on his shoulders. "Landon, Celebi says she will only take me back to my time."

"No! Stay here! You said you would! You said!" Landon pounded his fists on my chest. I let him.

"This man, Bert, has agreed to take care of you, okay?"

"Don't go! Tell Celebi you're not going!"

"Landon, remember how strong the tsunami was that destroyed Slateport City? The city didn't have a choice in whether the tsunami hit it or not. This is the same way. I don't have a choice. The legendary Pokemon will do what it wants regardless of my decision." I hugged Landon. He was shaking.

"I hate them," he whispered. "I hate legendaries." He pulled away. "I hate you, too. Even if the stupid fairy says you have to go with her, can't you at least try not to?"

There was a fluttering by my ear. I knew Celebi hovered just behind my shoulder. Gripping Landon's shoulders tightly, I leaned over and pressed my lips to the soft mess of Landon's hair. "Try not to get in too much trouble, and take care of Buster."

My gut twisted and vision blurred.

delongbi

I C U
Years
Previously on An Apple a Day:

Styx, the normal gym leader's strange-powered girlfriend, tries and fails to help Anita break Liam's Forced Transformation Device. Anita achieves this herself, making Liam furious. Anita manages to convince Liam to battle the the normal-typed gym leader twins. In exchange, she will tell Liam everything she knows about the whereabouts and habits of Mew. During the gym battle, Anita manages to deceive everyone watching into believing Apple evolved into Umbreon, thus proving Apple's 'innocence' of being Mew.

Several miles away in Drape Town, the tracking device picked up Apple's transformation. However, a Team Glop'emm grunt, presumably paid off, broke the machine as soon as it emitted this information.

Both Jamie Arkle, assistant to the Master, and Seth Hastings, Mel's father who traveled back in time, were jailed and happen to share a cell. Jamie Arkle was thrown in jail as a suspect for leading Team Glop'emm. Seth Hastings was accused of child abuse and withholding information on the dark gym leader's location. They are being held in Zahavah City, home of the psychic gym leader, Tamara Lilac. Tamara is being partially held hostage by Liam's Spiritomb, who prevents her from telepathically showing anyone else Liam's face or doing anything that might endanger his trainer.

Meanwhile, after the gym battle, Celebi takes Liam back in time to rescue his cousin Landon from certain death. Celebi forces Liam to return to his own time without Landon; Landon is left under the care of Seth Hastings. Liam also leaves Rita Teal's Ditto, Sticky, back in time so Sticky may pretend to be a dead Landon washed ashore.

Anita and Erin see the green light emitted from the Artemis Town Pokemon Center from Liam time traveling.

The Master requests a new Forced Transformation Device from Rita Teal. However, as soon as she gets off the walkie-talkie with him, he appears on Team Glop'emm's doorstep...

Chapter 43: Break Away

"It seems, you've been deceived…"

The Master grabbed a long, black cloak hanging by the door and pulled it on as he walked down the hall. He pocketed my walkie. I hurried after him, my lab coat brushing against my ankles with each step. When I realized I was still holding the FTD prototype, I clipped it to my belt.

"Sir, if you weren't on the other end of the walkie, who was?" I asked

"A very good question," the Master answered. He slowed his pace, peering into offices as we walked past them. I fell in step beside him, examining the boy out of the corner of my eye.

He looked scrawny, as if he hadn't eaten for a few weeks. He was taller than I remembered, having grown at least an inch since he left the base.

If he didn't know who was on the other end of the walkie, we were in trouble. And Sticky… "Sir, do you know what's happened to Sticky?"

"Sticky?"

I felt the blood drain out of my face. "One of my Dittos, sir." Just how long ago did he lose the walkie-talkie? How many Team Glop'emm secrets had I shared with the man on the other side of the walkie? Dear Arceaus, I'd supplied him with the Forced Transformation Device.

And Sticky. Sticky was endangered because of the Master's carelessness.

The Master shrugged and continued walking. I suddenly felt a rush of anger towards the boy walking in front of me. Why hadn't he called as soon as the walkie had been lost? There were plenty of other means of communication. If anything happened to Sticky, there'd be hell to pay—

"Take me to the device," the Master said.

"Of course," I said stonily. The corner of the Master's mouth twitched. Almost a smirk.

I could punch the brat.

I frowned as we turned a corner, feeling slightly guilty. Punch the brat. No, I couldn't. Just the thought made me sick to my stomach, made me feel as low as that shithead Arkle. I pressed my thumb to the DNA scanner at the end of the hall, granting us elevator access.

Something was wrong, I thought as we rode to the lower basements. Something felt wrong. I glanced at the Master again. He'd put up his hood. I'd never felt the urge to act in such a violent manner, even while sitting through the hundreds of meetings in which Arkle constantly spouted nonsense.

We exited the elevator. Eyebrows of Team Glop'emm employees shot up as we passed. A few of the lab researchers we passed nodded to the Master or murmured, "Welcome back, sir."

We stopped before the door where the device was located. I took a deep breath, knowing this would not go over well. "Sir, you should be informed that there has been an accident. Something in the device's circuitry shorted, and the tracker is currently down. We're working hard to fix—"

The Master waved a hand nonchalantly, turned heel, and walked back towards the elevator.

I narrowed my eyes. No, something was certainly not right. "Sir," I said. "There's an important matter I'd like to discuss with you. Can we go to your office?"

The boy nodded, his eyes an eerie green beneath his hood.

"You remember Janet, your secretary…" I chatted relentlessly as we returned the way we came, and rode the elevator up to the office floor. I watched the boy carefully for a reaction.

When we reached the Master's office, I moved aside. I'd opened every other DNA scanning door. The cloaked boy didn't immediately press his thumb to the scanner. Perhaps he'd still expected me to open the door for him.

I watched him expectantly.

He pressed his thumb to the scanner. The light glowed red. Access denied.

My suspicions were confirmed. This boy was not the Master. I swiped my thumb across the scanner, opened the door, and shoved the boy into the office.

The door swung shut behind us. "For the record, the Master's never had a secretary," I said. I walked around the Master's desk and took a seat in his cushioned swivel chair, folding my hands atop the desk. "Now you're going to tell me who the hell you really are."

I wearily pressed the "end call" button on the communication screen and leaned back in my office chair. So much for gaining assistance from Morty, Johto's ghost gym leader. Espeon rubbed against my legs in an attempt to provide what little comfort she could.

<You do realize that I'm not even trying to get you out of my body,> I said. As usual, the Spiritomb didn't respond.

Espeon looked at me sharply. She knew something was wrong; after all, every time Liam Mendol's damned Spiritomb interfered with my body or psychic powers, Espeon felt my presence disappear. I was also fairly certain that the Spiritomb was filtering what telepathy I received from Espeon, preventing me from even listening to her questions.

If only she would tell one of the other gym leaders that something felt strange…

I yawned as I pulled out Acceber's prison reports. Really, it was about time I hired someone else to deal with all this paperwork.

Frowning, I paged through the paperwork until I found Jamie Arkle's file. <This case would be over if it weren't for you,> I told the Spiritomb. <If you would allow me to contract a powerful ghost user, we could kick the ghost out of this psychopath's body, interrogate the man, and get him permanently thrown into a higher security prison.>

Every time I had attempted to broach the subject of ghost Pokemon residing in human bodies, Spiritomb had prevented me from speaking. Morty was probably still wondering why I had contacted him in the first place.

I skimmed through the guards' report for the day of Arkle's activities. Ate meals as usual. Spewed profanity. Tried to stab another prisoner with a pencil during the recess period. It was noted that the other prisoner attacked first. At 7:05 pm, demanded and received his single phone call.

<Did any guards report anything unusual about Jamie Arkle's phone call?> I asked Espeon.

She shook her head, but sent a series of psychic pulses at my computer, psychically navigating to open the video on my computer screen.

The scene began with Jamie Arkle entering an empty interrogation room, bare except the communication screen across from the door. A guard I knew by the name of Willis entered behind Arkle, softly closing the heavy door.

Espeon continued to psychically push keys on my computer keyboard and the screen divided. The left half of the screen continued to show Arkle in the interrogation room while the right half was a fuzzy grey, indicating Arkle had not yet made a phone call.

On the screen, as Arkle dialed a number, there was a loud wrapping on the door. "Yo, Will, get out here. We need backup getting that lunatic professor back into his cell."

My eyes narrowed in on Willis as he left the room. Major protocol breach. All phone calls were supposed to be supervised—the cameras in the room were solely for security purposes. They were not regularly reviewed. I'd have to have a word with Willis and his supervisor…

<Isn't Jamie Arkle's cellmate a 'lunatic professor'?> Espeon asked.

<Yes.> A feeling of misgiving settled in my stomach, something that had been occurring with less frequency since Mendol's Spiritomb entered my life.

On the right half of the screen, a boy with brown eyes and ridiculous bleached hair hanging in his face appeared. He appeared to be in an upscale flat. Behind the boy was a double sized bed with an ornate headboard and plush comforter. There was a pretty blonde girl lying on the bed reading a magazine.

What would Arkle want with teenagers?

"Oh, it's you," the boy said. "What do you want?"

"Good to see you, Reece. I'll be taking the favor you owe me, now," Arkle replied.

"Dude, now's really not a good time—" Reece, the boy, started.

"I don't particularly care. The Gallade I gave you has been trained in hypnotism and mind control. You will teleport to Globert City and hypnotize as many poison Pokemon as possible to attack Cereal City. You will then teleport the poison Pokemon into Cereal City."

Reece scratched his head. "By attack, do you mean like kill people?"

"I mean cause as much destruction as possible, and if people happen to die…"

I paused the video. Hell. I glanced at the clock at the computer clock. The call was made six hours ago, which meant it might already be too late. Despite the immense power it would use, I sent my mind out to Cereal City's gym, searching for Kyle or Tounsil, his Vaporeon.

I located him in his loft above the gym. <Kyle, wake up. Look out the window.>

Drowsily, the gym leader rolled out of his bed, untangling himself from his sheets. "Tamara?" he asked. I didn't answer; it was hard enough to maintain this connection. I could only sense a portion of what Kyle could because of how often I'd entered his mind in the past. Kyle shook his head and stumbled to the window.

I felt the cool air hit his face.

And then smelled the poisonous fumes.

Immediately, I returned to my body. "Espeon, we have to go."

Erin and I swung the Pokemon Center doors open in unison and stumbled into the building. Apple nearly tripped me as she bolted ahead.

SMACK

I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting to find, but certainly not Styx slapping Liam across the face. It was a loud slap, like the sound of someone belly-flopping into a pool. Liam's cheek was cherry red. I was shocked Liam didn't move out of the way. I'd seen him dodge hundreds of kicks and punches, and this had to have hurt.

"That's for before, you *******," Styx said.

Liam blinked. "You're not Landon."

"No ****." Styx shook her head, then examined Liam's belt, snatching the PokeBall clipped farthest on his right hip. "This is mine." Styx took a step back and crossed her arms.

They watched each other for a moment. Styx's eyes flicked to me, and a minute smile crept on to her face. "And this, Liam, is for helping me meet the love of my life." She bent over and kissed Liam's head.

Erin and I exchanged bewildered looks.

<Err, did I miss something?> Apple asked. <I'm pretty much an emotional-vibe expert being psychic and all, but I don't know what to make of that.>

The doors to the emergency care area were flung open as Dustin kicked them open with his casted leg, using the crutches to create forward momentum. Somehow I didn't think the doctors would be pleased with the innovative use of the cast as a battering ram.

Dustin immediately spotted Styx leaning intimately towards Liam.

<Anita, I'm getting a weird vibe from Styx. You've tried to read her mind before, right? Well, when I try to look at it now, its like she's not even there—she feels like Liam feels.> I frowned and tried to sense Styx myself. Nothing. Apple was right.

Dustin leaned on his right crutch and pointed the left one at Liam. "Alright, kid, unless you want to become minced Mendol bits, you will explain to me exactly what is going on here."

Liam's expression was uncharacteristically lackluster. Something was wrong. Usually by this point he'd be goading Dustin with a smirk and some derisive language.

"Your girlfriend's a Ditto," Liam said, stepping back from Styx.

A childish comeback, I thought, and really random. "Liam, are you okay?" I asked as he walked towards us. "What happened?"

Liam strode past us through the Pokemon Center doors into the night. Erin, Apple, and I followed.

Liam had already started down the concrete stairs. "Liam, what happened?" I asked again. He didn't stop.

"We're your friends, Liam. We're only trying to help," Erin called.

Liam had reached the bottom of the stairs. He turned to face us, with eyes glowing like green miniature moons in the moonlight. Next to me, Apple's yellow rings were just as bright.

"I have a family emergency I must attend to immediately," Liam said.

"Alright, well we'll come," Erin offered. "Where is it?"

I didn't say anything, hesitant. <Apple, something's fishy. He made me swear earlier today to give him all information about Mew and now he's just leaving?>

<You know, it's very possible that he considers his family more important than destroying Mew,> Apple said. <That's how most people think.>

<Most of Liam's family's dead,> I said, recalling our conversation in line for the Adventure Quest roller coaster.

Apple didn't have a reply to that.

"You're not coming." Liam turned around and continued down the street. Erin hurried after him, and I followed, trying to track Liam with my eyes. In his dark shirt and muddy cache pants, Liam seemed to slip between shadows cast by the dim streetlights.

Erin broke into a run when she hit the bottom of the stairs, and Liam darted out of sight into an alley. I caught up with Erin when she stopped in front of the alley, squinting through the darkness. It was empty.

<Look up,> Apple called. I turned around. Apple still sat at the top of the stairs. I followed her gaze to the stars and spotted the faintest black silhouette of a large bird against the dark sky.

<Liam?> I asked Apple.

<Likely. It flew out near the alley you're by.>

I tapped Erin on the shoulder and pointed. She swore, yanked out her PokeTech, and dialed Liam's number. Of course, he didn't answer.

"Damn, if I had a Pokemon that could carry us…" Erin muttered as we walked back to the Pokemon Center.

"He'll be back," I said. He would if he wanted the particulars about Mew.

"He will if I have anything to say about it," Erin grumbled. "We could follow him; he was heading west. Maybe Dustin would lend us a bird—"

"All of Acceber's west of here," I reminded Erin. "We don't know where he flew off to."

We walked in silence up the Pokemon Center staircase. As I opened the Pokemon Center doors, Erin started, "Actually, Anita, there's something I've wanted to—"

Dustin was speaking to Styx. "—time travel. And he knows that you're a Ditto, Styx. Can't you see how dangerous—" Dustin noticed Erin and I had reentered the Pokemon Center.

"What about time travel?" Erin asked at the same time I said, "Liam wasn't joking about Styx being a Ditto?"

Dustin looked at us, opened his mouth then closed it. "Well, this is awkward," he finally said.

<Even if Styx is a Ditto, that doesn't explain how she fought you off psychically and how now she's disappeared from my mind's sight like she's got a dark gift,> Apple said. <It's like she can just imagine exactly what she wants to transform into and poof…>

<And none of that explains how she knew about the FTD.>

"I think you have some explaining to do," I told Styx pointedly.

Styx rolled her eyes and threw her ponytail over her shoulder. "I don't have to tell you anything."

"Well, I for one, want to know why you kissed Liam," Dustin said, turning towards Styx as if he'd been lightheartedly arguing with her the whole time Erin and I were outside the Pokemon Center. "Don't think I didn't see that through the windows on the emergency care doors—"

"Will you guys SHUT UP," Erin yelled. She pointed at Dustin. "You need to stop trying to distract us from our questions. It won't work. If you actually thought something went on with Styx and Liam you wouldn't be talking about it in front of us." Erin turned her death glare to Styx. She visibly flinched. "And you asked me to research Celebi so if you know something about time travel, I should be informed. More importantly, Liam just flew off somewhere because you did or said something to him. I don't care if you're a Ditto, a Magikarp, or a dead frog—as Liam's friends, Anita and I deserve some answers."

I grinned at Styx over Erin's shoulder. Erin turned around to face me, wiping the smile right off my face. "And I don't know what has gotten into you, Anita," she said quietly. "I thought whatever issues between you and Liam were through, but you didn't even try to stop him from leaving just now."

"Erin, I…" I honestly didn't know what to tell her at this point.

"Well that last one can be explained easily enough," Styx said, pulling out a chair from a nearby table and sitting down. "See Erin, Anita's Mew, and Liam intends to destroy Mew."

<Wow, this is better than a soap opera,> Apple commented dryly. She pushed a chair under my legs, forcing me to sit before I decided to yank someone's hair out.

"Anita, I had no idea—" Erin started.

"I'm not Mew," I snapped.

"Then I'm not a Ditto," Styx said sarcastically.

"Seriously, Liam tested me with that freakin' FTD and nothing happened."

"FTD?" Erin asked.

With one hand, Dustin pulled two more chairs around from the other side of the table, forming a circle. He sat down next to Styx, and Erin sat next to me. Apple lied down under my chair.

Erin held the edge of her seat intently, glancing from me to Styx.

"We should start from the beginning," Styx muttered, looking at me expectantly. I nearly rolled my eyes—Styx knew more than me.

Styx continued watching me. Fine, whatever. I turned to Erin and said, "Liam's been hunting Mew from the moment we met him at Peepin Pond. I had suspicions, but wasn't totally sure until I saw him use this FTD—Forced Transformation Device—on Sticky, that Ditto his Professor person sent him."

Erin frowned. "I fail to see how you can conclude he is pursuing Mew based on a piece of transformation technology. You're paranoid—it could be totally unrelated." Erin blinked. Geeze, she sounded just like Liam in encyclopedia mode. "Just so you know, I accept you for you are whether or not you are a legendary Poke—"

"I'm not Mew," I growled. "He already tested me with the FTD—it was disguised as that syringe he told you was a disease cure or something. If he's not chasing Mew, why do you think he would lie to you about the syringe?"

"Some non-disclosure rule, I don't know," Erin said, folding her arms. She looked at me thoughtfully. "As much as I'm tempted to, as a friend it really wouldn't be fair of me to just blow off this ridiculousness… So, supposing I believe you about this forced-transformation device, why would Liam be hunting Mew?"

"He told me he was hunting Mew, Erin. A lot of Liam's family was killed in the Slateport City tsunami, and Lily—the girl Liam knew in Vintage Village—her parents were killed by Mew. He has a thing against legendary Pokemon."

"And you're not Mew?"

"Correct."

"Then… why do you care?"

Styx smirked, looking at me like I was a mouse in a trap. Dustin was leaned forward, closing his eyes and resting his elbows on his cast.

"I've… kind of have had a connection to Mew for a while now. I sometimes run errands for her." Beneath me Apple shifted, and I just knew she was hiding a smile. Well, it was kind of true, and that's what I told Liam.

Styx raised her eyebrows doubtfully.

"Errands?" Erin asked.

"Well, I've done her favors—gave her my observations of a couple of cities, brought her medicine once—just small stuff. In exchange, she told me about the gift, and got me started training with telepathy." Still all technically true.

"And you haven't tried to catch it…her… yet?" Dustin asked, his close-eyed expression unchanging.

"With what, a PokeBall?"

"Why didn't you tell me?" Erin asked.

"Would you have believed me? Do you even believe me now?"

Erin sighed and bent over to scratch Apple's ears. "So you're emotionally attached to Mew, and won't give up its location to Liam, who's trying to destroy Mew."

"Yup, that about sums it up."

"But where would Liam get the resources to…" Erin trailed off. I found it slightly annoying that I couldn't read her mind when she was touching Apple's fur; a side effect of Apple transforming I really hadn't considered. "Yes, I believe you."

I nodded, turning my attention to Styx. "Your turn. Why do you think I'm Mew, how do you know about the FTD, and are you actually a Ditto?"

Styx pointed a finger at me. Her arm extended disturbingly long, morphed into a tentacle, and reached for my head. I instinctively drew back, but Styx's limb extended until it was touching my forehead. "Yes, I am a Ditto," she said. "Until recently, I worked under Rita Teal, the Professor that Liam works with. I helped create the Forced Transformation Device."

<Apple, how does she do that? Pokemon shouldn't be able to transform straight from one form to the next, right?>

<I have no idea. It could explain why we can't feel her mind though. If she can incorporate Liam's dark gifted DNA into her own…>

"You work in a Pokemon Center inventing medical devices, are majoring in Linguistics and Biomechanical Engineering, and in your spare time assist whack-jobs with their Mew-destroying projects?"

"I didn't know what the FTD would be used for when I was initially working on it. Later, I learned it was supposed to be used on you—Liam was convinced you were Mew. I know what its like to adjust to life as a transformed Pokemon, and I wasn't going to let a little syringe destroy all the work you've put into building a life and relationships…" Styx leaned back and tugged on her ponytail. "A pity you're not actually Mew. I'd have a tip or two for you on transformations."

<Can you think of any way I can ask about transformation without sounding ridiculously suspicious?> I asked Apple.

Apple sighed in pleasure when Erin scratched a particularly sensitive spot on her ear. <Mmm, nope.>

"So what about the time travel thing?" Erin asked.

Styx shrugged. "Dustin just mentioned a new side project of mine—time travel. If Celebi can do it, theoretically we should be able to build a machine that can also manipulate time."

I frowned. Styx's dismissive attitude didn't quite fit the situation. Then again, without the ability to use my gift on her, it was difficult to tell whether or not she was lying.

I caught Erin's eye. She agreed with me.

"So why'd you slap Liam?" I asked. "And why did he have your PokeBall?"

Styx raised an eyebrow at me. "Suspicious, much? Don't worry, I didn't abuse your boyfriend."

"You slapped him," Erin pointed out.

"What, is he your boyfriend, too?" Styx asked, pulling Dustin's hand into hers. "Liam figured out I was a Ditto, took my PokeBall—yes, I have a PokeBall—and taunted me. What would you have done?"

Well yeah, I probably would have tried to hit him.

"You're four or five years older than us," Erin said.

Styx smirked. "You sure about that? I'm a Ditto, remember?"

And once again, Styx was drawing our attention away from Liam. Maybe it wasn't on purpose. Maybe. No, it probably was. Ugh, something just didn't feel right…

I replayed the scene Erin and I'd walked into earlier, and felt Apple's presence heighten. She watched with me. Styx slapped Liam. "You're not Landon," Liam had said.

<Who the hell's Landon?> I asked.

<Probably family if he's dealing with a family emergency,> Apple said.

<Maybe.> I shook my head. <Apple, he let Styx hit him. When was the last time anyone's hand connected with Liam's face?>

"…borrow a Noctowl to fly after him?" I heard the end of Erin's question. She watched Dustin intently.

Dustin didn't look interested in Erin's question; in fact, with his head in the palm of his hand and his eyes shut, he looked like he was going to fall asleep. I yawned and checked my watch. 3:14 a.m. Definitely well past my bedtime.

"Erin, it's late. Maybe we should just follow him tomorrow," I said. "Or we can wait. He'll be back eventually—"

Suddenly, Dustin jumped up, clutching his head in pain. "Shit, ****, ****. Tamara… ow."

Styx quickly moved to support Dustin's shoulder so he didn't fall over. "What is it?"

"We have to go. According to Tamara, Cereal City's under attack."

Even flying in the moonlight on this cool summer night was failing to effectively clear my mind of images of Landon. The Landon I'd abandoned in his own time. My four-year old cousin, Landon.

Upon my take-off, I'd pointed Honchkrow towards Winsk City, where Hastings, and assumedly Landon, had been residing ten years ago. In my initial attempt to find Landon, I'd overlooked the very obvious fact that it'd been ten years since I left Landon in Winsk City and it was likely he no longer resided there.

I quickly rectified my error, redirecting Honchkrow to Artemis Town's library to look up the current residence of Professor Hastings.

My findings were disturbing. Beyond disturbing. Something in my stomach seethed, threatening to collapse.

Professor Hastings had recently been arrested for suspected child abuse.

Even when my mother died, both times she died, I didn't feel—

I momentarily shut my eyes, trying to let the moonlight wash over me and absorb my thoughts. Now I was headed to Zahavah City, where Acceber's central jail was located.

The wind rustled my clothes, still damp from the snow in Winsk City. I shivered.

"Landon, if anything separates us, I will come find you."

Hours ago. I'd said that hours ago. My stomach churned again, this time because Honchkrow had begun to descend.

Zahavah City twinkled at night. Lights shimmered on skyscrapers, streetlights, and trees, all reflected off of the encompassing psychic screen that surrounded Zahavah City. The screen was used to detect and track every person who entered and exited the city.

Well, almost every person.

Honchkrow dipped through the barrier. We passed above the Zahavah City Gym and over a tree full of Murkrows, one of the few wild Pokemon that populated the streets of Zahavah City.

The gym was strategically placed less than half a mile from the Zahavah City jail. Tamara always had at least three psychic Pokemon, usually accompanied by Pokemon that worked for the police department, patrolling the area.

As I flew above the barbed wire fence, I scanned the area. No psychic Pokemon by the gym. Eight guards patrolling the prison ground's perimeter, each accompanied by an Arcanine. A single Alakazam near the prison's front gate.

Odd, where were the rest of Tamara's Pokemon?

After my previous break-in to the gym, I'd expected an increase in security. This was rather… disappointing.

The actual building possessing the prisoner holding cells had only one entrance. Lights illuminated the path that led from the front gate to the single door.

Once I landed, the lights would take away my advantage of being able to see clearly at night.

For a moment, I contemplated landing at the front gate, flashing my gym leader ID and legally gaining access to the prison. That plan would certainly minimize damage to the ever-increasing rift between me and the other seven gym leaders. However, there would be protocols to follow and no doubt questions of my rather sudden appearance to answer. Tamara would be contacted. It could be several hours before I would be able to speak with Hastings.

Too slow.

I directed Honchkrow into a nosedive at the Arcanine nearest to the gate, but far enough away from the illuminated path that I would not be spotted immediately. I released Bree from her PokeBall as Honchkrow hit the Arcanine with a drill peck, and ordered a psychic before the Arcanine's human partner, a hefty man with a beard, could utter a world.

"The key card?" I asked Bree.

The guard's eyes bulged as a card fluttered from his pocket to my hand.

I spoke to my Umbreon softly as I returned Honchkrow to his PokeBall. "Bree, move the Arcanine's body and walk with the guard until someone notices your unusual presence. This shouldn't take long. When you're attacked, react accordingly." Bree nodded at me and forced the guard to walk awkwardly beside her.

I darted into the darkness towards the jail. I had between four and eight minutes until the Alakazam noticed the Arcanine or Bree's control over the prison guard. I had approximately another six minutes to use as Bree fended off attackers.

Not far from the entrance, I strode into the lamplight and walked confidently towards the entrance. On the off chance another prison guard caught a glimpse of me from a distance, I would likely be taken for another guard.

Flashing the key card at the scanner on the door gained me access to the building. The first prison guard I encountered I incapacitated with a strike to the jaw. The second guard I encountered was already asleep at his post.

I systematically walked through the narrow prison halls on the first floor, where Hastings was likely being held for the time. Upper and lower levels were typically reserved for prisoners already found guilty of their crimes.

Most of the prisoners I passed, like the second guard, were asleep. The few wake ones paid me no mind, perhaps falsely assuming I was an inspector.

To my surprise, at the end of the third hall, I peered into a cell to find a very awake Jamie Arkle peering right back.

"To what do I owe the pleasure, Master?"

An unfortunate turn of events I should have considered, I mused. From the security cameras I'd spotted along the walls, Tamara would certainly now know or further suspect my status within Team Glop'emm.

My former assistant looked more haggard than usual, with the dark dips beneath his eyes and his facial hair a centimeter longer than it was in our previous encounter.

My eyes darted to movement in the bed behind Arkle. Wild white hair, bifocals.

I blinked, surprised for the second time in a matter of seconds. Hastings.

"Where is Landon?"

Hastings sat up in his bed, looked at me, and began to giggle. His waist was thicker than it had been ten years ago and his skin was wizened.

"Didn't you get the memo? Your cousin died years ago," Arkle said, pressing his hands against the metal bars dividing us.

Continuing to gaze past Arkle, I pulled out Notal's PokeBall and pressed the release button. There was a flash of red within the cell. "On the old man," I ordered.

My Mightyena pounced on Hastings, sharply snapping his shoulder back onto the bed. She growled threateningly and snapped her jaws near his throat.

"What—"

"This does not concern you, Jamie," I said quietly. "Professor Hastings, you will tell me exactly what you have done to Landon and exactly where he is currently located, or my Mightyena will tear out your throat."

"Ah, so you've finally deemed torture an acceptable means of gaining information." Arkle sniffed. "My boy's growing—"

"Shut up." I didn't have time to deal with this crap. "Hastings, start talking."

The professor smiled dreamily. "She promised. She promised I could save my son, my son with hair the color of the sun just like my beautiful Abetzi. She promised I could save him if I raised the other boy. If I kept the other boy safe and quiet."

'She' could only refer to Celebi.

"She brought me back six years, six years before my son died on August 9, 2009." Once again, Hastings began laughing. Notal growled and pressed a paw against the professor's throat. He wheezed and then continued, "I had six years to raise and keep the boy. Wrote a lot. He was like a son. I always kept him inside, just like she wanted. He never left. Never, never." Hastings frowned. "He was a strange boy. Made me feel… I hit him when he was loud, when he whined. I never hit my son."

I struggled to control my breathing. "Where is he?"

"Six years later it was August 9th again. I could save my son; she had granted me that opportunity. I would have, if… But no, the boy locked me in my room. Boarded up the windows. Said he wanted me to feel what it was like to be cooped up the whole day. Took my Pokemon, too. That ten-year-old boy lived that day. He went sledding and eating and playing while my son died again." Hastings snickered. "When the boy let me out of my room two days later, I made sure he'd never escape again. He killed my son."

"Where is Landon?"

"The boy was strange. Liked to bleed. I was going to take away his Pokemon, but they began attacking him. His Houndoom was vicious—biting and clawing and—"

"Spare me the gory details. What have you done with Landon now?" I focused on a rectangular stone in the wall beside Hastings' head. I would not let my calm façade be destroyed, no matter how sick I felt. I would not allow Arkle to see any signs of weakness.

"Oh, but I haven't gotten to the best part. I thought perhaps she'd left the boy to unlock some mystery of traveling through time—she'd promised after all—I'd save me son. I performed some experiments and found something was wrong with the boy. It wasn't my fault I always wanted to hit him—I'm not a violent person, you see—"

"Unfortunately for you, Professor Hastings, I am. Notal." I continued to stare at the stone as Notal bit down on the professor's ear. Hastings shrieked, surely awakening the other prisoners and nearby guards. Blood spattered onto the stone. "Where is Landon now?"

"Stop! Stop—I don't know where he is," Hastings sobbed. "One day he was slumped in my living room, chained to the wall. The next day he disappeared. Ask Niami Shivicle—she knows—she thought he was you when he escaped."

Loud footfalls were approaching quickly on my left. I returned Notal to her PokeBall for a moment and then released her outside the jail cell, by my side. Together we turned to our left and raced down the corridor, directly at the oncoming guards and Arcanines.

The two Arcanines leapt in front of the officers, clearly preparing to execute an Extreme Speed attack.

"Sucker punch," I ordered. Notal rammed the first Arcanine before his attack could hit, and neatly jumped over the second Arcanine, knocking both officers to the ground as she landed. The second Arcanine continued forward, jumping at me with claws outstretched. I dove under the Pokemon, colliding into one of the guards and bruising my arm.

The guard I'd hit twisted around to grab and pin me. I rolled over and landed a solid kick in his gut before jumping to my feet.

Notal charged past me. I turned my head in time to see the second Arcanine was leaping at me again. Notal hit the oversized dog's stomach midair, knocking the wind out of the Pokemon. Notal and I turned and fled.

Prisoners banged on the metal bars confining them as we ran past. Some begged to be released; others yelled profanities. We finally turned the last corner and reached the hall leading directly to the entrance. I stopped running. There were too many guards coming in. I snapped my head around. The two Arcanines that'd attacked us had recovered and were heading at us.

Tamara would be pissed at me after this.

"Notal, Strength." Notal ducked her head and rammed through the stone wall, leaving a gaping hole in the wall to the outside. I released Honchkrow, grabbing a hold of his feathers with one hand and returning Notal to her PokeBall with the other.

As Honchkrow took off, I spotted Bree battling the Alakazam near the front gate. "Night Slash the Alakazam," I said. Honchkrow nodded, quickly flying forward. I wrapped my arms around his neck and ducked down to minimize my air drag impedance.

As Honchkrow slashed a wing across the Alakazam's back, I returned Bree to her PokeBall. The Alakazam was knocked out.

"Hey, kid! What in Arceaus's name are you doing?" a man yelled behind me.

"Honchkrow, let's go." As we flew upwards, I heard several guards cursing behind us. I knew we were being tailed when we departed from Zahavah City. Two Pidgeots and a Swellow. Neither had great night vision.

Losing them was a simple matter of landing in a tree on the outskirts of Apoosh forest and lying low until the Pokemon had flown past, oblivious.

I yawned as I climbed back onto Honchkrow's back, then shook my head. I couldn't afford to be tired. I had to find Landon. Without Hastings' input… Well, perhaps there was another way to locate Landon. Honchkrow turned his head around, giving me a questioning look.

"Drape Town. We're going home."

delongbi

I C U
Years
Previously on An Apple a Day:

Reece and Carly were rewarded for helping Jamie Arkle in Nelcorn City. Reece's reward was a Gallade and Carly's reward was to be in a Cereal City catwalk.

While reviewing security footage Tamara Lilac, the psychic gym leader of Zahavah City, discovers a plot created by Jamie Arkle and implemented by Reece.

After traveling back in time and rescuing his cousin, Landon, Liam is forced by Celebi to return to his own time. Liam is determined to find Landon and leaves Artemis Town. He goes to Zahavah City to interrogate Professor Hastings, the man Landon was left with, but is unable to gain any information. Liam decides to return to Drape Town, where he can utilize the resources of Team Glop'emm.

Meanwhile Erin, Dustin, Styx, and Anita have a nice long chat about what exactly Anita is up to. She claims to be "running errands" for Mew. It is discovered that Styx is a Ditto. Dustin receives a psychic call from Tamara- Cereal City is under attack.

Chapter 44: Fighting the Irr-ash-inal

"If this escapade of yours disrupts the New Blue catwalk planned for tomorrow that I'm starring in, I'll throttle you till your brains pop out," Carly threatened as we walked into Cereal City's town square.

Rather, I walked. Carly did that thing where she sashayed her hips, making her miniskirt bounce teasingly. So impractical for this type of escapade, but that's just how Carly was. In middle school, she wore a sundress on our class skiing trip.

"Reece!" Carly snapped her fingers. She'd stopped walking, standing in front of the Cereal City fountain with a hand on her hip. "Hurry up. I want to go home sometime tonight."

I took just a moment longer to admire her silhouette in the streetlight—it was like one of those Met-I-Pod MP3 player commercials.

"Reece!" I sighed, maneuvering my arms so my bag fell to the ground. I tugged at the drawstring until the hundreds of PokeBalls within rolled out, spilling across the cement between Carly and me.

"Gallade, psychic," I ordered. The stoic as **** psychic Pokemon flickered to my side. Suddenly, the whole fountain gleamed red as the PokeBalls' release buttons were pressed.

"WHAT THE ****, REECE!" Carly screeched. "YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO WAIT UNTIL WE WERE FAR AWAY FROM THESE MONSTERS!"

I shrugged, fighting a snicker as I watched Carly's tantrum. Sure, we were surrounded by the hundreds of poison Pokemon we'd captured in Globert Town, but they'd all been brainwashed by Gallade's hypnosis. Like, super brainwashed. They wouldn't attack Carly or me—just Cereal City and its inhabitants.

My snicker came out came out; I couldn't help it when Carly tried to stomp her foot in anger, only to realize she'd stepped in a Grimer's slime trail and her pretty black heel was stuck. "REECE, GET ME OUT OF HERE!"

<We must complete the next phase,> Gallade said.

Scrunching my nose at the disgusting smell accumulating in the area, I turned to the Pokemon. "What phase?"

The Weezing, Swalot, and two Trubbishes released closest to Gallade were fleeing away from the fountain faster than the other poison Pokemon. He gave off an aura nobody wanted to be anywhere near. Guess we had that in common.

<We are to break Mr. Arkle out of jail. He gave me the signal during your video session.>

"Alright, whatever." Carly had taken off the slime-covered heel and was now using it to swat at a Koffing floating by her head. I smirked. With all the movement, the top of her bra peeked out from under her sleeveless top. Could the woman get any less classy?

"IDIOT, WILL YOU QUIT STARING AT MY BOOBS AND HELP ME ALREADY!" Carly pointed the heel in her hand at me.

"We've got to go get that Arkle guy out of jail, according to Gallade," I said.

"WE? Are you kidding me! I'm not doing any more for that psycho—I'm the one who needs rescuing, not him! And do you see the damage he's done to these shoes—"

I felt a light squeeze on my shoulder and turned my head just in time to see Gallade looming next to me. There was a faint popping noise, and suddenly Carly was no longer standing in front of me.

An alarm was blaring. Red lights blinked.

To my right, Gallade's knees wobbled and he collapsed to the tiled floor. "What the hell's going on?" I asked. "Where are we?"

<Tamara Lilac's house. PokeBalls in kitchen safe, get them to get Arkle…> Gallade's eyes closed.

The alarm was making my head hurt. Man, I was not cut out for this type of crap. Seriously, breaking into the psychic gym leader's house. I'd be caught and then arrested. Hopefully, I wouldn't be put in a cell with Arkle.

****, there weren't any women in jail. And I sucked at talking to guys. Maybe there'd be a cute female guard—

<Even at a time like this, still thinking of how to get laid. You truly are a pitiful creature.>

Geeze, I thought he was knocked out. "Eff off. The only way you're ever getting laid is if you bewitch the poor soul with your hypnotism—"

<The kitchen safe, Mr. Dracuta.>

"Do it yourself."

<Too tired… can't move or psychically feel…>

I returned Gallade to his PokeBall. If he was all out of psychic mojo from teleporting us halfway across the country, he'd be useless when security showed up, and I'd rather not hear his nagging in my head.

I scratched my shoulder, looking around. I was in a hallway with windows and one side and three doors on the other. To my right was an open doorway. Through it, I saw a refrigerator. The kitchen.

I paused a moment. Was this really worth it?

Well, the police were coming either way, and in Zahavah City, police were no joke—the city's own psychic Pokemon army, pretty much. I'd only have a way out of this mess if I miraculously found the safe, opened the safe, and the PokeBalls within actually helped release Arkle and get out of here. Sighing, I released the Stunky that wouldn't quit following me in Globert Town from his PokeBall, along with Tangela and Bagon.

"Stunky, cover the door. Bagon and Tangela, with me in the kitchen—"

A Kadabra flickered in front of me, psychically shoving me through the kitchen doorway. I hit the refrigerator door hard, slumping to the ground.

My vision got hazy for a moment, but I saw Stunky leap forward with outstretched claws and take down the Pokemon in one swipe. Useful little stinkball.

I must have blacked out because the next time I opened my eyes there were half a dozen knocked out psychic Pokemon on the kitchen floor. A cabinet had been moved in front of the single entrance, and Tangela's vines whipped wildly about the room. Stunky stood growling under the kitchen table.

When I stood up, I realized I'd been leaning against my newly-evolved Shelgon.

Suddenly, three Ralts teleported into the room. Tangela's vines immediately wrapped around all three psychic Pokemon, holding them still while Stunky slashed across the torsos of two of the Pokemon and Shelgon bit down on the third's arm.

I heard arguing voices outside. The police, probably.

Aw, ****. I still had to find that safe.

I began shuffling through the cabinets nearest to me, letting pots and Tupperware clatter on the kitchen floor. "A little help, Tangela," I said. Several of the wild vines wrapped around every drawer and cabinet door's handle. There was a loud crash as the doors were ripped off their hinges and the kitchenware spilled out all over the place.

I scanned the empty cabinets and the crap all over the kitchen floor. No safe I could see.

Two Kirlia appeared. Tangela was unable to wrap his vines around the Pokemon before they put up psychic barriers. Stunky took down one of the Kirlia, slashing at its face until it blacked out. Tangela and Shelgon took down the other Kirlia, but not before Tangela was knocked out by a psychic.

I opened the oven, feeling the doom seep into my stomach. Without Tangela, the psychic Pokemon couldn't be immediately subdued when they teleported into the kitchen. No safe in the oven.

Stunky had slashed down the picture frames on the walls. No secret compartments behind them. Damn it, if Gallade had waited thirty seconds for me to grab my bag off the ground before teleporting us, I'd have a few hyper potions up my sleeve. Green ass-wiping, headache-causing—

I yanked at the microwave door.

It wouldn't budge.

You gotta be kidding me. The microwave?

Lucky for me, I now had a Pokemon with one of the hardest skins. "Shelgon, headbutt it."

It took three more hits for the microwave door to splinter. The impact also broke two of the PokeBalls within the safe.

A Hypno and Magnemite materialized. Almost immediately, the alarm shut off.

<No way did the pipsqueak here break in on his own,> the Hypno said, projecting her thoughts to me even though she was clearly talking to the Magnemite. <We're in Tamara Lilac's ****hole. She's set up some sort of barrier so even teleporting inside this place sucks up a ton of psychic energy.> The Hypno turned her gaze to me, questioning.

"Look, Gallade just brought me here to bust the Team Glop'emm Arkle dude out of jail. I just want out of here. Gallade thought you'd help, so help!"

There were three more flashes of red. A Togekiss, Porygon2, and Yanmega were released.

Hypno caught my eye. The room blurred. Flashes of memories of Arkle and Gallade surfaced for a moment, and then I was suddenly back in the messy kitchen. I stumbled backwards, tripping over a pot. Stunky jumped between me and the Hypno, growling.

<We will break out of the house. You will return all of us but Skampi—the Togekiss—and Yanmega to our PokeBalls. Then you will fly on Skampi to jail and release all of us to break Jamie Arkle out. You will also take the other PokeBalls in the safe with you. Understood?>

"Uh, sure. But how am I going to carry all of those PokeBalls? I've only got six clips."

<If you can't figure out how to transport a dozen PokeBalls while surrounded by hundreds of Tupperware pieces, you don't deserve to make it out of here alive.>

"Err, Roger." I collected the PokeBalls in a plastic piece I found near my feet and climbed onto the Togekiss's back. "So why are you helping Arkle? Are you Team Glop'emm's Pokemon?"

<Don't confuse us with that filth. We belong to Jamie Arkle.>

Flying in the moonlight was like cuddling with Fiery in front of a fan. My back tingled where the moonlight hit my fur and the wind chilled my neck pleasantly. It was exhilarating.

Which was more than I could say about watching the normal gym leaders plan the rescue of Cereal City from the backs of their puffed-up Pidgeots (Pidg-idiots, I'd call them) and Noctowls (Noct-fouls). The flying Pokemon were arguing about which of the trainers on their backs would be the first to fall victim to the poisonous fumes when they landed. The Pidgeot Anita and I were riding on was adamant Anita would be the first to go.

The bird Pokemon, however, weren't half as incompetent as Dustin and Tali, who'd incidentally forgotten extra gas cloth for Anita and Erin. Tali gave hers to Erin as Tali planned on directing the moronic birds from above, leaving Anita to create a bubble-like barrier around her head before entering the city. The Pidgeot didn't believe Anita was capable of this feat, thus his vote of confidence.

I peered over the Pidgeot's wings at the city we'd been circling, only half listening to Tali's orders of who was being assigned to what and Dustin's arguments with her decisions.

From my sharply improved nocturnal vision, I could see the roads below speckled with hundreds, maybe thousands, of poison Pokemon. Purple fumes clouded the air in various alleys and the large water fountain in the center of the city gleamed a radioactive green. Paradise for a poison Pokemon. Long painful demise for the rest of us… unless of course, you were a steel Pokemon and didn't give a metallic pooh one way or the other.

A shift in the wind bumped my attention back to Dustin and Tali

Dustin was complaining, "C'mon, Tali—"

"You're in a cast," Tali interrupted. "I swear on Arceaus if I see you lay a threatening pinky finger on an enemy poison Pokemon, I will see to it that you're knocked unconscious and flown back to Artemis Town faster than you can say Extremespeed. Understand?"

Wow, point Tali. Dustin looked thoroughly subdued.

"Everyone understand the assignments?" Tali asked.

Well, I hadn't been paying attention, but if I shifted so Anita's hand wasn't rubbing up against my leg I could take a peek into her mind—a very brief peek, that is. Due to the nasty-Celeibi-steals my-psychic-powers-to-time-travel part of my life, the pinnacle of my power at the moment was telepathy. Barrier creation and telekinesis remained elusive.

"So the best way to stop all the poison Pokemon would be to catch them. Do you expect me and Erin to what—break into the PokeMart or something to get that many PokeBalls?" Anita asked. Guess I didn't need to peep into her mind to know what we'd be doing.

"The Artemis Town gym will refund you for any expenses," Tali replied, deadpan.

"I can't tell if she's serious," Anita whispered to me. She suddenly grabbed onto my fur as we plummeted to the ground.

Of course, the Pidgeot we were riding would have kindly forgotten to warn us.

As the Pidgeot dove, Anita pushed me forward slightly so we weren't touching, enabling her to create a barrier air bubble around her head.

<Apple, what about you?> Probing her mind slightly, I found she had tried and failed to put a barrier around my head, having forgotten I was now a dark Pokemon.

<I'll be able to breathe.> Pokemon had a higher tolerance to poison than humans. We didn't always get poisoned after breathing poisonous fumes.

I took a moment to peek into Anita's mind to see what the game plan was. We were on Pokemon cleanup with Erin and her gang. Dustin and Styx were on antidote distribution and medical help for humans and Pokemon. Tali would be directing the flying Pokemon in creating air-paths to disperse the fumes all over the city.

All scenarios considered, I decided we got the best job. Where all the action would be.

Anita and I were abruptly thrown off of the Pidgeot as it performed a barrel spin in midair some nine feet off the ground. I turned in the air, spreading my paws to lessen the impact. Anita created something of a psychic slide barrier, spiraling in a wide arc to prevent a crash landing.

Pride swelled in my chest. She was constantly improving.

The Noctowl Erin was riding, of course, landed and allowed her to dismount before taking off again.

Eh, at least we were dropped by the PokeMart and not directly on poison Pokemon.

"Someone got here before us," Anita said grimly, pointing out the open door and broken windows. A Muk slunk slowly through the doorway, noticing us.

"I don't think a Muk could have broken in like that," Erin said. "The windows look like they were smashed in."

I perked my ears, irked I couldn't count on my psychic powers to perform a task as remedial as counting how many poison Pokemon were headed our direction. Stupid Celebi.

My ears counted nine incoming Pokemon.

Erin and Anita released their Pokemon as the Muk spit sludge at us. Anita threw up a psychic barrier. As Fiery materialized in a flash of red, a piece of the large air bubble surrounding Anita's head broke off to surround his. The same happened to my other teammates as they appeared.

"Why did it attack?" Erin asked, waving Griffy to execute a psychic attack. The Muk was repeated thrown against the ground until it resembled a splattered paintball. "We didn't do anything to—Griffy, I ordered a psychic attack, not a mauling of the poor thing!"

I'm not exactly sure how she could think of a Muk trying to poison us as a 'poor thing.'

<My apologies, Miss. My attention will not slip again.> Griffy said, turning to face the incoming poison Pokemon. What he failed to mention was that his tail had temporarily taken control of the situation. His own attention had been split between the Muk's attack and trapping air psychically some hundred feet above where the air was cleaner so he could safely breathe.

I turned to greet Fiery, who'd been released beside me, but he was busy shaking his head, trying to break the psychic bubble around his head. Beside him, Sunflower and Allo sat facing Anita, waiting for instructions while Splash amused himself by bouncing electricity off of the surface inside his head-bubble. Vanilla looked like she'd already passed out. As she wasn't near any poisonous puddles and the psychic bubble around her head looked intact, she was probably faking in an attempt to be returned to her PokeBall, away from this stinky town.

"So here's the deal," Anita said, looking at Allo and Sunflower, who seemed most likely to listen. Missy floated beside them, mocking their attentiveness with wide eyes. "There're poison Pokemon everywhere. Its up to you guys to hold them off while Erin and I grab PokeBalls from—"

"Are you trying to suffocate me?" Fiery asked, panting. Ah, because he was a fire Pokemon, oxygen around his body burned up quickly. With the barrier around his head, he wouldn't be able to breathe soon.

I grinned. Well, I could help.

I took the opportunity to push my nose through the barrier into the soft fur under Fiery's chin where I knew he was ticklish. Fiery leapt back growling, hackles raised.

"Who the hell are you?" He released a warning ember at my feet, which I sidestepped.

"Guys," Anita said, at a loss of what to do. She couldn't put a barrier up between us that would stop me from attacking.

Splash jumped between Fiery and me before I could retaliate. "Stop it! It's Apple—she evolved."

"Doesn't smell like Apple," Fiery snarled. Seriously, who could smell anything here but the nasty Grimers and Trubbishes? "I've never met this Pokemon—"

<You're the one who figured out I wasn't what I appeared,> I said to Fiery, raising an eyebrow at him over Splash's spiky back.

Fiery relaxed from his attacking stance, pointedly looking away from me. Maybe he was embarrassed he'd forgotten I wasn't an Eevee. Or maybe he hadn't forgotten at all. Maybe he'd never actually believed his own accusations.

"I know this is Apple—I even helped her evolve," Splash earnestly told Fiery. "C'mon, brother, everyone knows Eevees evolve into Umbreons when electrocuted!" That drew everyone's attention. Even Vanilla 'awoke' from the unconsciousness to give Splash an incredulous look.

<My child, I fear for your sanity,> Griffy's tail said. The tail then proceeded to repeatedly bang the psychic air bubble encompassing its head that Griffy had provided on a poison coated rock in an attempt to lick the toxic substance.

"I think the fumes are interfering with your sense of smell," I said aloud, walking around Fiery until he was facing me. "I'm Apple."

Allo and a few of the other Pokemon murmured in agreement.

Suddenly, Fiery and his siblings all winced, and turned their attention to Anita. I blinked, realizing Anita wasn't the only one forgetting I was a dark-typed Pokemon now. I had to consciously remember to open my mind, or I wouldn't hear Anita's thoughts. Anita pointed past us.

I looked over my shoulder. There were four Arboks, a Muk, and six Trubbishes coming out of the shrubbery towards us. Clearly, my ears had miscounted.

"Maybe they're not here to attack?" Sunflower whispered nervously. The Muk sent a sludge bomb at us and we dispersed, leaping into motion.

My tail alight, I went after an Arbok, battering away the poisonous barbs it shot at me with my tail. I felt for the Arbok's thoughts, trying to sense why the poison Pokemon were attacking, but the Arbok's mind was oddly blank. "Hey, snake-face. You brain-dead?"

The Arbok's response was to lunge at me, jaws wide.

I spun, knocking the snake's two front teeth out with my tail. I followed up with a tackle from behind, and once the Arbok was down, I bounced on the Pokemon until I knew he was out cold.

I turned to face another opponent, but found most of the poison Pokemon around us were already down. Two Arboks lied tangled at Griffy's hooves, and another near Allo and Sunflower was literally tied in a knot. From their burnt exterior, it looked as if the Trubbishes had been taken down by Fiery and Splash. Splash stood over one of the Trubbishes with a paw on its stomach. "Looks like we took out the trash," he proudly declared. Vanilla put a paw over her face.

The only attacking Pokemon still up and kicking—or rather, spurting sludge—was the Muk, who was now encased in a psychic prison. Anita squatted next to the Pokemon, a hand in her mess of hair.

"I can't read its mind," she said. "It's like nothing's in there."

<It was the same with the Arbok I battled,> I said, padding over to Anita. <Where'd Missy go? See if she can get into—>

"Zombie!" Splash squealed. There was a sharp crackle as he electrocuted one of the Trubbishes.

Fiery tackled Splash. "What are you doing? I've taught you better than to attack an unconscious Poke—"

"Look, he's not unconscious," Splash said, struggling to get out from under Fiery. We all looked. Said Trubbish was getting up again, despite its burnt feet and bruised body. The other Trubbishes were also rising. Fiery got off of Splash, firing a flamethrower at the lot of them.

The stench was horrible, like burning garbage. Well, I guess that's what it actually was.

For a moment, the Trubbishes were still. Then one's arm twitched. It started to get up again. Guess Splash's zombie assessment was accurate.

"****," Anita said. "And there are more coming. Does anyone know what's wrong with these Pokemon?"

<Oven-roasted rabies,> Griffy's tail offered.

"I would guess hypnosis, Miss, but this appears to be something deeper. As you said, their minds are completely blank," Griffy said, eyeing the Trubbishes warily.

"More like mind control," I said. I paced over to Sunflower, who was gingerly sniffing one of the two tangled Arboks. "When Pokemon become exhausted, they faint. The fainting mechanism in their brain has been shut off or something—at this rate, they'll kill themselves." The Arbok opened its eyes. I hit it with an iron tail, temporarily knocking it out again.

Vanilla jumped behind Allo when the knotted Arbok started to squirm.

This was ridiculous. It was as if we were in one of those scary movies Anita and I used to sneak downstairs to watch after her mother went to bed on the weekends. Only a lot stinkier.

Suddenly, Erin ran out of the PokeMart with Missy floating behind her, their arms full of PokeBalls. Tweal followed, but faced the PokeMart, as if something might attack at any time. "Sorry," she gasped, dropping the PokeBalls at Anita's feet. "We ran into poison Pokemon inside—they poisoned Wella pretty bad. I couldn't find any antidotes. From the look of it, someone already broke in and took them."

Anita grabbed a PokeBall and threw it at a fried Trubbish.

The ball bounced off harmlessly. She frowned and threw another PokeBall at a different Trubbish. Another failure.

She tried once more, this time aiming at an Arbok. The same result. Fiery and I exchanged looks of horror.

"Why…?" Erin asked.

Anita closed her eyes and grimaced. "If we can't catch them it means only one thing. They've already been caught."

A moment of silence. We could all hear the bushes rustling as more poison Pokemon approached.

"I hate doing chores twice," Splash said grimly. Nobody laughed.

I ducked a glob of sludge and rushed towards the bushes to meet my opponent.

I sensed a Grimer approaching from behind me and put a barrier through it, not bothering to look. This seemed to be the most effective way of dealing with Grimers and Muks—it stopped them for as long as it took to meld their bodies back together. Crouching down, I dodged the poisonous fangs of an Arbok with a particularly gruesome looking face on its neck.

The second Arbok I'd been battling took the opportunity to lunge at me, but I managed to put up a barrier between us before I took a hit.

Getting to my feet, I realized I'd rolled through a sludge puddle and now had a gaping hole on the back of my shirt. The skin on my back felt tender, but I had no time to worry about it as gruesome Arbok was coiling, preparing to spring at me.

I felt tired. My limbs were sore and I wasn't sure how much longer I'd be able to hold up all of the air bubble barriers. The air in my bubble already tasted stale so maybe it didn't matter.

The Arbok struck out at me fast, but not as fast as Liam could kick. I dodged, putting an elbow in his gut and knocking him out. Yay, he'd stay down for all of four seconds.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Sunflower battling two Grimers, backed up against a brick apartment building. She was the only one of my Pokemon I'd been able to keep track of. Sunflower went the only direction she could go—down. She dug underground and popped up underneath the Grimer to her left, hitting it with my protective psychic air bubble. For quite some time now, she'd been using this technique—it proved very effective because of poison's weakness to ground moves.

Arbok number two had recovered from ramming into my barrier and tried to grab me with its tail. I trapped the poison Pokemon in a dome shaped barrier before it could strike and pressed into its mind.

Blank as usual.

I sensed Sunflower in pain and snapped back into my body. I leapt over a Gulpin and thrust a barrier between Sunflower and the second Grimer she'd been fighting. A Muk slithered towards Sunflower, approaching my barrier where the Grimer was now spitting sludge in a feeble attempt to break through. She shot a shadow ball through my barrier, hitting the Grimer while the Muk ducked. The Grimer collapsed, but the Muk moved faster towards the barrier.

I sprinted forward, my stomach twisting even though I couldn't read the Muk's blank mind.

The Muk made a fist and punched right through my barrier. Brick break.

I was faster than the Muk. Fast enough to run by the poison Pokemon, grab Sunflower by the scruff of her neck, and pound my legs into the cement road, putting as much distance between us and the poison Pokemon as possible.

I could feel Sunflower shaking in my arms, even as she was jostled by my uneven steps. Poisoned. <You okay?> I asked. I sensed sludge shooting at me from two directions and couldn't dodge both. Poisonous droplets hit the back of my leg and sizzled.

My breath was raspy. I would run out of air soon. A short break. That was what I needed. I could heal Sunflower and check up on Erin and my Pokemon—I swiveled into an empty-feeling alley, panting. Quickly, I pulled out the last of my antidotes and fed Sunflower.

I reached my mind out. Fiery and Allo were still battling. Splash was knocked out. Vanilla had pulled Splash into some brush and stood over him, covered in grime and snarling at the Trubbishes attacking the two of them. I vaguely sensed Erin, but she was too far away to know how she was doing. I couldn't feel Apple at all. My chest squeezed.

Sunflower stopped shaking. <I'm fine,> she said. I fished in my bag for a potion anyway.

This was bad. We needed a plan—a plan better than this attack-run-recover-repeat plan. Damn it, if Liam were here…

Liam couldn't do anything against these guys either. Punching Grimers just didn't do much. I guess he'd be able to see the poison Pokemon in the dark, but sensing them with my gift had just about the same effect.

Liam would have a plan, though, another part of my mind argued. He'd review the facts, come up with something.

I found a potion and fed it to Sunflower. My hands were shaking.

And what facts did I know? The poison Pokemon were brainwashed. They belonged to someone. Somewhere, they had to have PokeBalls.

Why attack a city with poison Pokemon? Poison was dangerous, but not as immediately destructive as say, fire or a barrage of fighting Pokemon.

Poison Pokemon tend to be attracted to poison, I remembered from middle school. That was why there were very few poison Pokemon found outside of Globert City in Acceber—they were all drawn to the polluting factories in Globert as well as the other poison Pokemon…

An idea dawned on me.

<Anita,> Sunflower warned, shifting in my arms. Something smelled like death roasted in acid. I turned to find a giant Garbodor looming over Sunflower and me, blocking the exit from the alley. I was sure I would die of the smell—

I could smell. ****, that meant I'd released my air bubble when I hadn't been focusing. It wasn't just mine—I'd released the others, too.

I threw up a barrier in front of the Garbodor.

Sunflower attacked with a shadow ball, trying to drive back the poisonous monster from afar. It didn't work.

The Garbodor pounded on the barrier. I gulped, my heartbeat racing, and searched for doors in the narrow alley—any way to escape. There were none. A wall blocked the end of the alley. Maybe I could climb onto the dumpster in front of the dead end and toss Sunflower over the wall. Then at least one of us would be saved.

Sunflower jumped out of my arms in front of me, growling at the monstrous Pokemon. In a movie it would have looked hilarious—a small, adorable Eevee trying to intimidate this mass of garbage.

The Garbodor pounded its dripping fists on the barrier again. <Garbage! Garbage!>

I froze. "I can hear his thoughts," I said in utter surprise. I could sense he was a he. <Hello?> I asked. I felt his intense hunger, his yearning for the dumpster at the end of the alley.

<Garbage!>

"Sunflower, move here." We backed up against the side of the alley and I released the barrier. Quickly, I created a new one that sandwiched Sunflower and me against the alley wall. The barrier was so tight, my nose brushed up against it.

The Garbodor ignored us, squeezing past the barrier to wolf down the garbage at the back of the alley.

As soon as the Garbodor had passed, Sunflower and I bolted from the alley. <What was different about that Garbodor?> I asked Sunflower.

She couldn't think of anything. I stopped running. "Keep on guard," I said, backing up to a tree that hadn't yet been covered in sludge. I sent my mind to the Garbodor, shuffling through his memories as he shuffled through the trash.

Oddly, he didn't have much of a recollection of the past couple of hours—some blurry movements, and one particularly delicious smelling group of Muks that were firing toxic into a broken pipe.

I could feel my energy seeping away. With all the barriers I'd been creating and a lack of bond with the Garbodor, I'd be done for soon.

I found a clearer memory. Being woken up by surprise. Caught. A Gallade's purple eyes.

Like mind control, I could hear Apple saying. What if Griffy's hypnosis theory was on the right track—if this was a psychic attack…

"Sunflower, have the Pokemon you've been battling been rising again?" I asked, too tired to ask her telepathically. The raw skin on my legs stung when a gust of wind blew past us.

At my feet, Sunflower shrugged.

"We could go check…" I looked over my shoulder, squinting from behind the tree down the street. There were definitely more poison Pokemon than we could handle if we ran in the open.

A stray Grimer sat near us in the middle of the street, exuding a purple gas and looking very constipated. The Grimer looked up and spotted me, and immediately spouted sludge. Sunflower and I ducked back behind the flimsy tree.

Well, this could work.

"Shadow ball it 'till it's down," I ordered.

Sunflower's attacks went through the tree, and the Grimer couldn't retaliate from the other side. Three attacks later, the Grimer appeared to be out cold.

We waited. No movement.

Abruptly, I felt Griffy's presence in my mind. <Excuse me, Miss Anita, for intruding. I bring news of utmost importance—you see, Missy is able to dispel the mindlessness—>

<Save it,> I said, looking pointedly at the Grimer. Griffy found my memory of Sunflower attacking.

<Ah, well pardon my intrusion—>

<Wait, Griffy. There's something I need you to show Erin and Apple—or if you can't reach Apple, then Fiery.>

Griffy shuffled through my mental images the way a child flips through a picture book: harshly, tearing out pages. I winced.

<A good plan. I will relay it immediately,> Griffy said promptly. As I turned my focus back to Sunflower, who was pawing at my shoelaces in concern, the tiniest echo of Griffy's tail telepathically bounced through my mind, a voice mocking Griffy's formal manner of speech. <Panic not, young sprout. Soon arrives the shrub of doom.>

"So do you get paid by the hour to babysit me?" the Master lookalike said. He sat under the office window, leaning his head against the wall.

Already leaning towards the laptop on the Master's desk, I lifted my hands to my scalp, lightly pinching my hair roots. The boy was infuriating. No, I wanted to snap. I'm getting paid to run a detailed DNA scan on the sample automatically taken when you pressed your grubby finger to the scanner on this office's door. I ran a hand through my hair, briefly examining the blue tips before glancing past the laptop once again.

The boy smirked at me. The urge to strangle the kid simmered in my chest, but I calmed myself by shifting my gaze to the partially completed DNA scan results flickering across the computer screen. No complete matches found in Acceber.

Irritated, I exhaled through my nose. It would be hours before the scan of other regions was complete. And the scan only covered about twenty percent of the population—only citizens who'd had maternity or paternity tests, who'd been tested for diseases—and of those only the systems Team Glop'emm could hack into—

"I'm surprised you haven't snapped yet. Like a twig."

Calm, Rita. Calm. Although the boy had not answered a single one of my questions and this test was unlikely to yield positive results, I'd at least gained some information. DNA testing proved that this lookalike was related to the Master—a cousin or brother. The only reason I hadn't thrown this halfwit in a cell yet was because he had a blood relation to the Master.

I could just rip the walkie talkie from his hands. Rip his hands.

My hands went back up to my scalp. Something was wrong with me. Or wrong with him.

I had to get out of this office, get away from this kid to clear my head. No, I couldn't leave. I couldn't leave him alone in the Master's office.

The kid started to laugh.

A pressure I hadn't realized was gripping my stomach loosened its hold. I looked at the boy again. Really looked. He was skinny—much too skinny for a teenager his age. The cloak he'd taken when he first entered the base seemed to engulf him, pooling around his arms and legs on the floor. His hair was shaggy, maybe shoulder length. And his eyes. Well, his eyes could be mistaken for the Master's. I guess I'd already made that mistake.

The boy was shaking with laughter. "Hilarious—the first person I've encountered in years able to resist works for Team Glop'em. Some irony."

"Enough of this," I said, interrupting his laughter and bringing my hands back to the Master's desk. "I will ask you again to please hand over the walkie talkie." It was strange, I thought, how my attention had been diverted for so long. I needed to tell the Master of this intruder. I moved my hand to my lab coat's pocket, where my PokeBalls were stored. I'd have Jilly or Spud restrain and question the boy—

I gasped. Doubling over in my chair and digging my fingernails against my palms to keep myself from lashing out. Don't hurt the brat. Don't dig those fingernails into his throat—

I squeezed my eyes shut, recalling the tune I'd made to remember the family names of RNA viruses in med school… Sequiviridae, Marnavidae, Iflaviridaeeeee. Picornaviridae includes the common cold, don't you saaaay. Caliciviridae

The pressure dissipated once again. I opened my eyes and found the kid had walked across the room, examining the scripture that had hung in this office for as long as I worked here—before the current Master became Master.

Who exactly was this kid? And that strange, malignant pressure. Was he the cause? Or perhaps some strange drug was slipped into my meal earlier—it wouldn't be the first time something so underhanded occurred within the ranks of Team Glop'emm.

"The realm of irony has no limits," the kid murmured. He caught me squinting past him at the scripture, trying to read the words. He smiled. "Curious?"

No, I was more curious about where this kid came from, why he was sitting with me in his office, how he was related to the Master, why I couldn't seem to rid myself of these violent urges—

"Let me read it to you. It was one of my foster Father's favorites." Fury rose in my chest again. Blind, senseless fury. I was digging my fingernails into my hand so hard my palms were bleeding. I couldn't stop it any more, couldn't—shoving the rolling chair aside, I lunged towards the kid.

He ducked my arm swipe. "From Dust to Ash," the boy began, twisting away from another swipe. "Floating, beaming, perhaps unwoken." He slid under my arm, behind me.
"A legend of which is hardly spoken."

I spun around.

"Waiting to combust."

Swipe.

"Turn to dust."

Punch.

"Remain a cycle unbroken."

The boy easily evaded my attacks. Some part of me, whispering in the back of my head was thankful. I lunged again. This time, the boy jumped back and hefted his body up onto the desk. He held an arm outstretched, his palm facing me.

"However halt instead—" The pressure suddenly drained as quickly as it had come. I felt nauseous. "—with darkness through head." Exhausted, I slumped against the wall, slowly sinking to the floor. The boy jumped down from the desk towards me.

"Cut and slash. Darken ash." He crouched down in front of me—so close I could reach out and touch the bags under his eyes. The boy tilted his head. "Who weeps for the dead?"

"A quality performance," I muttered. Maybe, just maybe, I saw the flicker of a small smile. I drew my lab coat around my body tightly, trying to alleviate the nausea.

There was a soft buzzing on my computer. The boy glanced at it.

I sighed, relieved. "The Master's home," I said.

"When did you call him?"

"I didn't." It was luck. I abruptly remembered he still didn't know about the broken tracking device. Perhaps it was misfortune.

The boy rose.

"Be careful when he confronts you," I said, leaning my head back against the wall. "Doing this…" I waved at my head. "…trick… to him… Well, I wouldn't want him to snap you… like a twig."

Back