• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An Evolution to the Past [Older Pokemon & Pre-/Evolutions]

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    Jesus. This is why I disliked megas in the first place.

How can we asume that there will no longer be cross gen evos thanks to megas? I personally feel that. Bear in mind that megas are NOT mons, but technically just an EXTRA form added to pokes just to make them somewhat more usable. Therefore, I personally feel that Absol could have a teeny chance of having a regular evo because it's stupid fucking idiothead mega is JUST an extra form, and not technically a new poke. So if megas were just extra forms added so that certain mons could have some competitive usability, we could still have say, normal evos once in a while. This discussion is honestly making me legitamately dislike megas, really. As a result, I think that only 3-stage pokes, legendaries, or just simply powerful 2-stage lines should have megas, and NOT regular non-evolvers, in my opinion. I'm sorry if I had offended anybody.

Not every baby poke is completely useless. Sometimes they can make you get access to their evolved forms earlier, give their lines new moves, and so on. True, they are mostly around to appeal to cute-mon fans, but that doesn't necessarily mean they shouldn't exist.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I guess I'm fortunate in the sense that I felt the single-stage Pokémon that did get Megas couldn't evolve further, because they seemed very "complete" as they were (Mawile and Absol are the big ones that people bring up frequently). But since Megas are really just alternate forms, they can give those Pokémon something extra, and I like that.

I honestly think the Eviolite is more of a reason to not give certain Pokémon evolutions. Like, I'd love a Mega Shuckle but not an evolution to it, because Eviolite Shuckle would be awful, for example.

That being said, I think some Pokémon such as Skarmory and Maractus could get pre-evolutions, and I really think Carbink should get an evolution, as its design really seemed "incomplete" to me in that sense (and no, the passing mention in Diancie's PokéDex entry doesn't count). I think it would be super cool to see an Electric/Dragon evolution to Helioptile, too (I seriously thought it would be a 3-stage line with an Electric/Dragon final evolution when I first played through X...). Aside from those and the "obligatory Eevee evolution," the only other thing I think may be feasible is a pre-evolution linking Sawk and Throh, although this may not happen just to keep them distinct from the "Hitmons," and maybe even a pre-evolution linking Miltank and Tauros. (Although I would rather Illumise and Volbeat stay as they are, but that's just personal preference.) Not as feasible would be a "neutral" pre-evolution linking Plusle and Minun. But otherwise, I don't think a whole lot of Pokémon "look" capable of evolving further, so I'm not sure how likely evolutions would be...

That all being said, I wouldn't be so heartbroken if we didn't get any evolutions or pre-evolutions to older Pokémon in this gen, because besides Carbink and maybe Helioptile, I don't really think evolutions are necessary for a lot of already-existing Pokémon... And this isn't even from a competitive standpoint, this is all just speaking design-wise.

Last edited:

HyperJono

Fanfic Writer, Pokeshipper, Lover of Pokemon
    Years
    Mega Pokemon are Ok but some of the Pokemon they gave Megas i feel didnt need as a) those pokemon were already OP as it is or b) you were down with then by the second or third gym as you found a better alternates. Like Mewtwo as much as i love its Mega forms is was already one of the most OP in pokemon with a base stat of 680 its mega forms bumping it up to 780 and Beedril whos mega form stats of pokemon who are far better suited to competitive battling. Thats why i think gamefreak should focus less on Mega Pokemon and give current 2 stage pokemon a third evo or pre-evo stage

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I don't personally think Delcatty has a remote chance at getting an evolution. None of the Stone Evolved Pokemon really have much of a chance at evolving further so all they have forward to look to is a Mega Evo.

Stone Evolving Pokemon seem to be odd evolutions. Majority of them do not learn many new moves if any at all. Those that do typically learn 1 to 4 new moves total. Honchcrow being the only odd one that still follows basic Stone Evolution patterns. He learns 6 moves.

There are exceptions to the Evolution restriction, Gallade and Frostlas, so that they would not be inferior to their natural evolution counterparts are given a full level list that matches the natural's level list. Gallade shares roughly the same level pattern as Gardevoir, only Gardevoire has an added move at the end MoonBlast. Other than this, they were identical before Generation 6. Glalie and Frostlass have completely identical move lists.

The only other exceptions are Eevee and Sunkern who are fairly inferior in their own leveling aspect that their evolutions get matching level lists. Eevee's to match it's new type upon evolution, and Sunkern, gains more offensive power.

So with 4 general exceptions, Frostlass, Gallade, Sunkern, and Eevee all other Stones pretty much give artificial evolution vibes as none of them can adapt after evolving. Like with Mega Evolution, and this part is completely personal opinion, Stone evolvers are final evolutions. The mutations brought about by the stones in a way inhibit the Pokemon from being able to grow further. Out of all the stone users, only one has a Mega Evolution as well, and it is one of the four that breaks the general rules of Stone Evolution. Granted it most likely got a Mega Evolution because it's counterpart got a Mega Evolution and Gallade is pretty popular. I almost want to say that Frostlass has a good chance of gaining a Mega Evolution as well due to the same association.

The others, going back to opinion, I want to say will not advance any further, naturally or artificially. Only way we'll see them move on the tier lists is if they get new moves or stat changes. Mega Evolutions, since ideally they are essentially flamboyant form changes, have a pretty good chance of happening for all the Stone Evolvers.

That's pretty much my take on this much.

Item evolvers and Happiness evolvers can still evolve as I believe at least one of each has shown the capability to do so. So there is hope for all of them at the very least. Gorebyss, Huntail, Aromatisse, Slurpuff, Weavile, and Gliscor have some decent chances at evolving further. (Didn't list Milotic or Slowking as I believe they may get Mega Evolutions to match Gyarados and Slowbro. Former is a stretch as they aren't related in any way, but I can still see Milotic getting a Mega Evo.) Of course I also left out the three staged Item Evolvers as they already max out their slots.

Back to the topic of Evolutions, would like to see Snorlax evolve XD Do a reverse Slakoth, instead of lazy, active, lazy it would be active, lazy, active.

I would like Tropius to get the Roselia treatment.

This would be really nice. Tropius could use a little love from both sides, yes.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
    Looking at the list of those without any pre or normal evolution, three stood out to me:
    1. Maractus - the Pokemon just exudes the need for an evolution
    2. Hawlucha - I feel it could use more of a pre-evo personally but a evolution from its current stage would be pretty cool too
    3. Dedenne/Pachirisu/Emolga (same thing to me) - Give the Pika-clones evolutions! they look like baby Pokemon and all the other baby Pokemon have evolutions so come on Game Freak!

As for other evolutions I would really like to Primeape get an evolution. It just doesn't feel like Primeape is the final stage and thus should have one final form. It'd be such a badass if it did get one ~

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2017
    I'd like to see a Farfetch'd evolution. Really, we can find awesome ideas for that on internet, and Farfetch'd has always been so likeable and peculiar.
    Kangaskhan needs to be fixed because it is just weird to see it coming out of the egg already with a child.
    I'd also give a baby form to Aerodactyl and Bouffalant.
    Dunsparce just needs some reason to exist, at least with a dragon type mega.
    Cryogonal the same, its presence feels a bit random.
    Luvdisc and Alomomola should be linked. It'd be weird to do it only now, but, come on, they need to be.
    Qwilfish, Chatot, Dedenne and Shuckle could have an evolution, although a Shuckle evolution can be too strong on defense.
    About the Eevee evolutions, I'd like to see a new pokémon taking the same role, another normal one evolving in the types eevee doesn't have, like ground, rock, steel, flying, etc. One pokémon having 17 evolution would be a bit too much.

electicario

Random Aura Sphere and Thunderpunch user
    Years
    I really think that Druddigon should get some evolution treatment. Its a good (offensive) pokémon, but virtually anything not named Snrolax or Torkoal outspeed it. Same thing with Torkoal. Its amazing as it is now, but it would really excel if given an evolution, or alternatively a baby form to get some different egg moves.
    About Tauros / Bouffalant and Luvdisc / Alomomola, my theory is that they were created to represent the "evolution" in different places (Darwin stuff), hence they are similar but not related to each other.

Years
    No more mega evolutions, please. I miss the days when I use to be excited for the next baby pokemon or evolution of a pokemon who was thought not to evolve.

Last edited:

lamePotato

DeviantArt - SimplyPixelizing
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2016
    Pre-evolutions are unnecessary and merely pad out the Pokedex with more things people won't use in my opinion, and some of the single-form Pokemon already have Mega Evolutions, so you couldn't evolve them without having to redesign the Mega's, which I highly doubt they would do.

More evolutions would be nice, but not pre-evolutions.

The Little Cup Smogon Tier is side-eying you.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
    3. Dedenne/Pachirisu/Emolga (same thing to me) - Give the Pika-clones evolutions! they look like baby Pokemon and all the other baby Pokemon have evolutions so come on Game Freak!

If anything, I don't think these clones need an evolution for that matter. However, I would be perfectly happy if we have a pre-evo for Minun and Plusle that connects the two of them. When RSE came out, I though they were connected to Lati@s at one point. Would be nice if they actually were connected together through something smaller. Like Neutrat or something.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
    About the Eevee evolutions, I'd like to see a new pokémon taking the same role, another normal one evolving in the types eevee doesn't have, like ground, rock, steel, flying, etc. One pokémon having 17 evolution would be a bit too much.

This would be a fantastic idea i think and could even have Eevee and alter ego eevee be nemesis of each other, like how Seviper and Zangoose are, duking it out to prove they and their evolutions are better

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    If anything, I don't think these clones need an evolution for that matter. However, I would be perfectly happy if we have a pre-evo for Minun and Plusle that connects the two of them. When RSE came out, I though they were connected to Lati@s at one point. Would be nice if they actually were connected together through something smaller. Like Neutrat or something.
    Nah Neutrat makes me think of Patrat lmao.

Neutro: The Neutral-type Pokemon. Neutro's evolution depends on whether it is raised to maximum happiness, or maximum sadness. If it is extremely happy it will evolve into Plusle, if it is extremely unhappy with its trainer, it will evolve into Minun (who will coincidentally be happy as it is, being negative).

I'd love to see a Snorlax that evolves into a really fit, muscular Pokemon. Like, it finally got off the couch and went to the gym.
    I legit can't imagine any monster that is possible bigger than Snorlax. Like it's gigantic as hell, how much bigger can it get?? Unless it gets smaller but that basically defies what we know of "evolution" currently...

I'd like to see a Farfetch'd evolution. Really, we can find awesome ideas for that on internet, and Farfetch'd has always been so likeable and peculiar.
    Kangaskhan needs to be fixed because it is just weird to see it coming out of the egg already with a child.
    I agree, that's why Farfetch'd was my first thought. Every other bird gets to evolve pretty much except Farfetch'd. I agree entirely about Kangaskhan. It wouldn't even need to be thought about... the baby design is already right there. Babkhan or something based around the fact that it's a baby. It literally looks the size of every other pre-evolution so I really hope they do eventually make it into a Pokemon. It's always existed in the world of Pokemon, give it a purpose!

I honestly think the Eviolite is more of a reason to not give certain Pokémon evolutions. Like, I'd love a Mega Shuckle but not an evolution to it, because Eviolite Shuckle would be awful, for example.
    Eviolite is a really good point. I really hope that wasn't one of the reasons they introduced Mega Pokemon because that makes so much sense. Although if that was the case they could make Eviolite not as good, as it'll allow them to bring back evolutions, and they do enjoy weakening things we already love. :)

Most of the cat pokemon only has 1 evolution. Meowth > Persian, Skitty > Delcatty, Glameow > Purrugly, Purrloin > Liepard, Litleo > Pyroar and Espurr > Meowstic.

Shinx > Luxio > Luxray is the only one with a second stage.

I could always add Snubbull > Granbull for Gen 2 since it lacked a Cat line.

Going from all of them from weakest to strongest based on BST we get:
    Delcatty 380
    Persian 440
    Liepard 446
    Granbull 450
    Purrugly 452
    Meowstic 466
    Pyroar 507

Luxray is at 523 BST for a 2nd stage with Luxio at 363 BST who is the same stage as Delcatty, so I expect Delcatty to get at least a second stage to be on par with a 2nd stage BST.

I don't know if the other cats would need a 2nd stage tho since they are not that far from each other except Pyroar who is in the 500 and near 2nd stage BST.
    Cool stats. :)

I feel like the pokemon that cant survive competitive battles on RU or higher need evolutions or megas even if they have them.
    I dunno I think they concentrate on stuff that's good in doubles. Their goal is to make stuff as viable as possible in their metagames, not in Smogon's. So as long as Pokemon we consider weak in tiers perform well in doubles they might not even consider enhancing it, because they don't want to throw off their main metagame in favour of the western world's most preferred metagame.

The only issue, Gamefreak pretty much says that they are. The Mega Evolution process can only be obtained by the highest point in a Pokemon's evolutionary process. At the point that they can no longer evolve through normal means, they gain an extraordinary burst and push into a new pseudo evolution. So anything with a Mega Evolution is Gamefreaks way of saying, that's it for this Pokemon. No evolutionary progress can be made any further.
    A thought: Everything in life evolves, I don't think evolutions (based on what it equals in real life) should be considered definite, as there's always more room for advancement. That does give me an idea though... Magearna is said to be designed by humans, what if, after everyone discovered the power of Mega Evolution, decided to engineer stronger evolutions? Just something that comes to mind. Not sure how it could be executed, but evolution of some sort is most likely to play a part in these games, given how evolution was front and centre in the previous set of games. So it's probably not out of the question that Pokemon can artificially be designed to evolve further and reach new limits in the intention to take over the world.

I think to tie in with the Sun and Moon games there should be a pre-evo that evolves either into a Solrock during the day or a Lunatone during the night however i can't think of a name for it.
    Solus and Lunus. Fits in with both and definitely sounds like a name for young Pokemon. :)

Back