• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime Adaptation of Manga and or Video Games?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
  • Before anyone says "Oh no you are taking away my beloved classic anime!" No I am not advocating for the series with Ash and Pikachu to be scrapped.

Instead I would like see them make either an adaptation of the Manga series Pokemon Adventures or one that is more Video Game oriented for instance Black and White would face Team Plasma on Route 3 by the Day Care center like they did in the game whereas Ash and Co just dealt with a Trash Bag and a bunch of rowdy kids on Route 3.

The reason I was thinking about this is I constantly hear rumblings of people upset over how they reset Ash and Pikachu over and over(and started reading the manga) that may be good for new fans, but for older fans that may alienate them. Whereas if we had a adaptation based off the Manga or Video Game it would closely parallel those stories and the cast would change from Saga to Saga giving it a more fresh feel, but it wouldn't completely lose the older cast since like the Manga or Games some make appearances in the newer manga/games. This may drawn in new fans that stick to the manga or video game, lure in the current fans of the main series, and get some of the older fans back in that got tried of the direction the main series has been taking the last couple Sagas.

But it may be to late or might not be successful? Yeah it maybe to late but I'd love too see something new outside of the same ole series we have been seeing for the last 14 years. I would have loved for them to make a series out of Jimmy and the crew he had with him during the Raikou episodes in Pokemon Chronicles but that never happened. And if it turned out any where near as successful as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood(which was a closer adaptation to the Manga then the original series), then an adaptation of either the manga or game would be another cash cow for Pokemon Co.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • There are plenty of variables that would be unknown.

We wouldn't know exactly what pokemon the protagonist would obtain. We would know how their character would be portrayed as the character, since in the game is pretty characterless in terms of personality. We wouldn't have control of all the scenarios the characters are in, meaning we wouldn't know how all the battles between him vs. Cheren and Bianca would go. There is optional side things to do in the game so we don't know how that would be handled.

It's not as though they have to do the show completely based off the video game, they can add room for character development since Hilbert and Hilda characters would be virtually starting from scratch and they could expand on Cheren turmoil with becoming the strongest and how Alder words effective him. Or how Bianca deals with her inferiority complex of being weak or at least weaker then the main character and Cheren. They can add more back story to not only Hilbert and Hilda but also other characters, essentially building upon what they did in the game. They could really add more of a story then just battling the opponent and thwarting the evil teams plans.

aspie3000

Unova Champion
    Years
  • I think that they should make a cartoon based off of the games featuring Red, Blue, and Leaf. Red starts out with a charmander, Blue starts out with a squirtle, and leaf starts out with a bulbasaur. They should have a deeper more complex storyline, and they have alot to work with, for example in the firered/leafgreen handbook (I think that's it) It was stated that red and blue used to be friends until blue became a bully, work with that. Also one thing that I would like them to take from the comic book is how gym battles are done. If you've read the books you know that the gym leaders are seriously hardcore tough and that it takes some serious strategy to beat them. Also Geovonni should be featured more as a truly imposing villian.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I was actually thinking the same thing the other day. Not making a show off the games, but off of the manga. It would probably have to be shown later than the origional anime as the manga has some darker themes with cutting pokemon in half and stuff. But yeah, I really like the idea. It might be too late though

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    I don't see how there can't be two Pokemon Anime. Lots of Anime have alternate versions, especially when the basis is a Manga or a video game. Maybe not at the same time but it still wouldn't hurt to try, given how great Pokemon Special is.

I'd also like to see a Pokemon Anime that can cater to the older fans. I don't mean sexual or overly violent content but a show with a stellar story and awesome action like Dragon Ball (Z). Also one that's actually faithful to the games' story, turning it into a full-fledged plot.

It's about damn time that Nintendo and Shopro acknowledge their older fans.

thefallensrvnge

The Last Ice Trainer.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    I agree. There could be two animes. I don't really care for the new ones, but I like the old ones for comedy and nostalgia sake. The manga was pretty dark if I recall. I think I remeber a storyline that involves a high level Haunter called the Black Fog that keeps killing people and pokemon. That would be very interesting to see. It would help keep older audiences in.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Well, along with sticking with the classic Pokémon Anime with Ash and Pikachu, I think they should make an Anime based entirely off the manga. Basing it off the video games would just be too boring. :\

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I think that they should make a cartoon based off of the games featuring Red, Blue, and Leaf. Red starts out with a charmander, Blue starts out with a squirtle, and leaf starts out with a bulbasaur. They should have a deeper more complex storyline, and they have alot to work with, for example in the firered/leafgreen handbook (I think that's it) It was stated that red and blue used to be friends until blue became a bully, work with that. Also one thing that I would like them to take from the comic book is how gym battles are done. If you've read the books you know that the gym leaders are seriously hardcore tough and that it takes some serious strategy to beat them. Also Geovonni should be featured more as a truly imposing villian.
    If they were going to try and keep with their roots Red would get Bulbasaur, Blue(Gary) would get Charmander, Green would get Squirtle. And I would also like to see some legitmate strategy added. I read Black and White Adventures and Black Battle again Lenora seems to take on more strategy then Ash when he faced her and lost cause he pokemon were weak and then Oshawott still couldn't control it's Aqua Jet.

I was actually thinking the same thing the other day. Not making a show off the games, but off of the manga. It would probably have to be shown later than the origional anime as the manga has some darker themes with cutting pokemon in half and stuff. But yeah, I really like the idea. It might be too late though
    Maybe another day other then later. And yeah it may appeal to more of a mature audience, but at the same time wouldn't alienate then kids or parents watching.

I don't see how there can't be two Pokemon Anime. Lots of Anime have alternate versions, especially when the basis is a Manga or a video game. Maybe not at the same time but it still wouldn't hurt to try, given how great Pokemon Special is.

I'd also like to see a Pokemon Anime that can cater to the older fans. I don't mean sexual or overly violent content but a show with a stellar story and awesome action like Dragon Ball (Z). Also one that's actually faithful to the games' story, turning it into a full-fledged plot.

It's about damn time that Nintendo and Shopro acknowledge their older fans.
    I agree, they don't need to make it edgy, they just need to make it more realistic(not that pokemon is very realistic in the first place). But at least don't have you character stay the same or revert as the story goes on.

Well, along with sticking with the classic Pokémon Anime with Ash and Pikachu, I think they should make an Anime based entirely off the manga. Basing it off the video games would just be too boring. :\
    I am not saying strictly base it on the game, but man it more true to the game then the current anime is.

aspie3000

Unova Champion
    Years
  • If they were going to try and keep with their roots Red would get Bulbasaur, Blue(Gary) would get Charmander, Green would get Squirtle. And I would also like to see some legitmate strategy added. I read Black and White Adventures and Black Battle again Lenora seems to take on more strategy then Ash when he faced her and lost cause he pokemon were weak and then Oshawott still couldn't control it's Aqua Jet.

I was talking more about the games than the manga, thats why I said "Leaf" and not Green, It makes more sense to me for Red to use charmander, Blue to use Squirtle, and Leaf to use bulbasaur, I think that Blue should use the same team that he has in fire red and leaf green (Blastoise, Pigeot, Rhydon, Arcanine, Exeggutor, Alakazam) and Red should use a team close to the red in the manga but with some slight changes (Charizard, Pikachu, Butterfree, Gyarados, Snorlax, Aerodactyl) and Leaf should use (Venosaur, Ninetails, Lapras, Magnaton, Dodrio, Nidoqueen.) That is how I see their teams, but I do want them to incorporate the strategy from the manga.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Since Naruto and Bleach do based their anime on the manga, it could be a good idea for Pokemon to have another series but a video game no because it can spoil it. But since I'm not really into the manga, I probably wouldn't like the show if they were to make one

:t354:TG

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    A mirroring anime wouldn't be a bad idea at all. If it was slightly more directed towards a mature audience, it would definitely please the more mature fan base.

Personally, I think one based off the manga would be the best choice, since they both are similar, but the manga was a bit more cynical themes, including killing/blood/death, especially with the Teams of every region threatening to kill the protagonists.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Personally, I think one based off the manga would be the best choice, since they both are similar, but the manga was a bit more cynical themes, including killing/blood/death, especially with the Teams of every region threatening to kill the protagonists.
    Not to mention there is more of a presence to the Teams. We don't get to see most teams until at least 30 episodes in then after we see them we have to wait 50 more to see them again.

Lolipiece

Burst Warrior
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2013
    Pokemon Adventures? What about others series like Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventure!, The Electric Tale of Pikachu?, Pokemon Pocket Monsters (It had a cameo, but that's it), Magical Pokemon Journey?

Those could work just as well.
    I'd definitely support this. Manga has far superior quality than current Anime IMO.

Could you specify which manga?

Back