• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

anime getting to repetitive?

AuraAshley

Wê'll §†å¥ £ðrêvêr †hï§ wå¥
    Years
    in my opinion, i think the anime itself is getting way to repatitive and predictable. i mean in every episode its almost the same exact thing. does anyone else agree with me about this?

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    It has always been like this. It follows a formula just like the games do since it usually sticks to the games. Why don't people complain about the games being repetitive though? Who knows.

AuraAshley

Wê'll §†å¥ £ðrêvêr †hï§ wå¥
    Years
    It has always been like this. It follows a formula just like the games do since it usually sticks to the games. Why don't people complain about the games being repetitive though? Who knows.

you see they added stuff to the games to make it more exciting each game. what does the show have that makes it so exciting? my opinion they should just cancel the show and keep the games, seeing as thats really whats bringing nintendo money based off pokemon not the anime

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    The only thing the games add are new Pokémon, a few new items, Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Champion, an evil orginization, cities, and that's about it. Nothing that the anime doesn't already include.

Years
    you see they added stuff to the games to make it more exciting each game. what does the show have that makes it so exciting? my opinion they should just cancel the show and keep the games, seeing as thats really whats bringing nintendo money based off pokemon not the anime

Oh yeah I totally agree I mean the anime's been going for twelve years and 600 episodes they should totally listen to you and ignore all the thousands of people who watch it every week.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    If it wasn't for the anime, half the people today that even play or watch Pokémon wouldn't be ongoing fans like they still are today. It's the anime that represents the games because it is used somewhat as an advertisement for it. The anime, yeah it's a little repetitive, but that doesn't change the fact that it steers a little bit of difference from the games. As not all fillers from one season is the same as the season before it. Plus, recently, if you've been watching, the anime has gotten people stray from some predictions. So, no the anime shouldn't be canceled or more than likely Nintendo, GameFreak, and Pokémon will lose out quite a bit.

Andcetera

Jigglypuff~<333
    Years
    Yes,
    I mean, i LOVED the first and second season of pokemon.
    But these newer ones are really annoying,and the change of team rockets theme bothers me.
    But obviously, the children love the show lol regardless of it being the same thing over and over again.
    I'v just grown tired of it.

The only thing the games add are new Pokémon, a few new items, Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Champion, an evil orginization, cities, and that's about it. Nothing that the anime doesn't already include
    Maybe its becuase its exciting that YOUR the main character in the game?
    And that you can raise your own pokemon of choice,
    also note the wifi capability now,we can trade pokemon from all over the world.
    The show is just bothersome, it no longer serves a perpuse other then to get more little kids to buy pokemon merchendice.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    And you can do the samething over and over. Let's celebrate!

Which you can do in every Pokémon game.

In the next generation of games, we'll have the samething. How joyous is that to know?

The show is just bothersome, it no longer serves a perpuse other then to get more little kids to buy pokemon merchendice.
    It always was to get people to buy Pokémon products.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Put it in these terms, if you never saw the anime, do you think you would have ended up buying the game without knowing much about it at all? Most likely not, but the anime is an important part of the franchise, and obviously it is more popular than you think, even with repetitiveness, because it's still running on aire.

Years
    I'm a little eight-year-old. Don't own a game boy.
    See this funky blue cartridge? Get confused when people talk about this thing? Heck yes. Black and off-pale green moving on screen?
    Funky blue cartridge thing isn't that interesting.

People moving on TV, silly puns, ACTION, a few interesting characters, things I understand!
    Oh where did this wonder of colors come from?
    The funky blue cartridge. Want want want.

In the beginning I don't think the anime was made to be pure advertisement for the games, but as it got insanely popular the only thing you can do follow a formula to keep it going. The anime isn't getting too repetitive, it already is.

Unless they purposely try their absolute hardest to beat it to the ground, it's going to keep going as people are still watching it. It's a great advertisement and makes a lot of money. I appreciate the effort in Sinnoh to make it pretty interesting, but even if they were not putting in much effort they still make a lot of money.

They will repeat the same general formula from badge to badge as long as the games do, it's just the pace and characters that change. Some episodes have repeated it and it's really crappy how it's done.
    Spoiler:

Though sometimes you don't get reminded of other things even if the general goal is the same as last season. Every season has a rival. But would you say Gary and Paul gave the same effect? I think not!
    Anyways I could go on, but I won't.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    in my opinion, i think the anime itself is getting way to repatitive and predictable. i mean in every episode its almost the same exact thing. does anyone else agree with me about this?
    The anime was way too repetitive and predictable before the first season had even ended... so yeah, I agree with you lol.

Actually the games have been exactly the same every time too. All they did was add new pokemon which made it worse imo.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Yes,
    I mean, i LOVED the first and second season of pokemon.

It was repetitive then too.

Of course, people like to forget this because most haven't actually watched Kanto/Johto/Orange in YEARS and just "Remember" it being good due to nostalgia.

Fast forward 10 years, they turn on D/P, and "omgzers sooo00 repetivie!!1!!1"

But these newer ones are really annoying,and the change of team rockets theme bothers me.

It changed because it happened in the raw first. Either way, they've been adding tweaks to their theme for quite some time.

I'v just grown tired of it.
    Ta-da!

Yes, the anime isn't the same as the games. News at 11.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    The same basic game has been released about 14 times, and since the anime is based on the games, it's no wonder it's repetitive. Same goals in the games for over 10 years, same goals in the anime for over 10 years. Unless you count contests, which have been made more important in the anime than the games. Repetitiveness is not just a criticism of the anime, but the Pokemon franchise as a whole, seriously.

Even in season 1, plots are repetitive. Defeat gym, help out random trainer/Pokemon, Team Rocket attack, defeat gym etc etc and round and round it goes.

I do like how some people complained about things being repetitive, but then complained when they were changed, such as Team Rocket's motto XD

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I totally agree with f l a s h...
    if u never watched the anime u think u would go buy i game u'ev never heard of?
    nearly every game is based on something thats been in cinemas or on TV thats how games get sold.
    yh but i do find it annoying watching team rocket balst of every episode coz u know its gona happen...
    but i like it how they added team galactic coz team rocket always loose and team galatic are much better so its harder and spices things up abit.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    It was repetitive then too.

Of course, people like to forget this because most haven't actually watched Kanto/Johto/Orange in YEARS and just "Remember" it being good due to nostalgia.

Fast forward 10 years, they turn on D/P, and "omgzers sooo00 repetivie!!1!!1"

I watched Season 1 fairly recently (I own the DVD Boxed Sets), and to be honest, from what I have witnessed, it wasn't repetitive. I mean, it did start several things, plus, several things were very unique to that season. I mean, I don't think we ever had a Poseidon parody in the recent seasons, we certainly didn't have an Independence Day/Godzilla parody now and these days that had a message towards polluting the seas, among other things.

In the Orange Islands, while I'll be the first to admit that I never really gave it a chance, I would like to mention that the first two Orange Island Gyms were actually treated differently than the average gym, (those were the only gyms that didn't really require defeating the Gym Leader in a battle for the badge.). Plus, I think that's the only season where they used a Pokemon to travel from place to place.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    I watched Season 1 fairly recently (I own the DVD Boxed Sets), and to be honest, from what I have witnessed, it wasn't repetitive. I mean, it did start several things, plus, several things were very unique to that season. I mean, I don't think we ever had a Poseidon parody in the recent seasons, we certainly didn't have an Independence Day/Godzilla parody now and these days that had a message towards polluting the seas, among other things.

But the early seasons getting credit for simply starting things that became staples is basically giving it credit for doing it first. Reverse the order of airing, and Johto would've been first to develop the typical plot, or Hoenn would be first to do TR Motto, and so on.

The early years are interesting to watch when stuff actually happens. The first 10 episodes or so have the show still trying to find it's footing. But because Ash pretty much made his team REALLY early on, the episodes between gym battles and the league are largely filler after filler after meaningless filler. Even though us Americans missed out on what...3 or 4 episodes, either because 4 kids never aired them or they never made it out of Japan, they were all filler and no plot points (besides the rarely seen Tauros) are missed due to them.

In the Orange Islands, while I'll be the first to admit that I never really gave it a chance, I would like to mention that the first two Orange Island Gyms were actually treated differently than the average gym, (those were the only gyms that didn't really require defeating the Gym Leader in a battle for the badge.). Plus, I think that's the only season where they used a Pokemon to travel from place to place.

The battling was certainly different. But I've yet to see any raw episodes of Orange, so the 4kids dub really ruined a lot of it for me.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    If it wasn't for the show, I wouldn't even like Pokémon, probably. I wouldn't be here. I don't care if it is repetitive, I love it. The continuous gags that appear always make me laugh.

bluechu

World's Only Blue Pikachu!
    Years
    i dont watch the anime much any more, but if its on and i come across it i will watch it.

yeah, its all been going in a never ending (only widening) circle since the beginning, but isnt the stuff that keeps getting repeated the stuff we like? going and catching pokemon, facing trainers, beating gyms, training to destroy the elite four, hunting down the last few we are missing from our pokedexes, finally catching that hard to get legendary. isnt that what its all abouts?

Norcinu

Beginning Snagger
    Years
    Geez Warped Relection, what are you doing on a Pokemon forum when you don't even like Pokemon? That's the impression I'm geting from you :9

Anyway, it's just something about the games that people love, the adventure, the fantasy, and the Pokemon. Through each game they increased the Pokemon, redid adventures, added more ways to connect to other players, etc.

Back onto the topic, the show's purpose is to advertise the franchise, that's pretty much the purpose for any show - to get money. Through this advertising they attract new people to join the fanbase. Besides, some older fans like the shows too so bonus!

And since when was the Pokemon shows getting repetitive? I haven't noticed ;9

Back