• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone else NOT count Lugia as a legendary?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 11, 2023
    Am I the only one who doesn't count Lugia as a legendary? I honestly don't think it should be given the title. I mean, in the Animé, it has a child, and legendaries can't breed! And just because he was featured in movie 2, doesn't mean he's legendary. Look at Lucario.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Am I the only one who doesn't count Lugia as a legendary? I honestly don't think it should be given the title. I mean, in the Animé, it has a child, and legendaries can't breed! And just because he was featured in movie 2, doesn't mean he's legendary. Look at Lucario.

Actually, certain legendaries can breed (Manaphy and its baby evolution, anyone?) and not all of them are unique (as with the Latis, hence why they have genders) so no, I don't agree with this shoddy piece of argumentation at all. So it had a child in the anime? Where precisely in the anime might this be? As I recall, Lugia should be dormant at the bottom of the sea. o.O Regardless, it's definitely legendary on account of the following:

1. It features in the pokémon world's legends, as seen in the games and also - although I loathe to use the crappy cliché-hive that it has become as an example - the anime.

2. It's essentialy Ho-oh's counterpart (Kind of like with Kyogre and Groudon), unless of course you also want to dispute Ho-oh's claim to the title of legendary, in which case you're stepping even further onto thin ice.

3. It's listed at the bottom of its region's pokédex, as is customary with legends, and also has the statline (Base stat average over 100), wide movepool, signature move (Aeroblast) and even the 'Pressure' trait, all typical characteristics of legendaries.

4. It is not only genderless but also belongs to the 'No Eggs' egg group. Hence, unlike regular genderless pokémon like Staryu or Beldum, it can't breed with anything, even Ditto. D:

5. It's unique in the games with set locations, its own overworld sprite (certainly not common fare for G/S/C) and both in the G/S/C and advance generation games you need a specific key item to even get an attempt to catch it. The fact that this item - in Advance - is only obtainable through Nintendo events furhter proves its legendary status, ever seen a non-legendary have its special, very own secret area designed into the game? I can't bring any to mind.

6. It even has a game (Pokémon XD) basically centered around it for crying out loud! >_<

All this balanced against your weak argument of 'it had a kid in the anime'...need I repeat my position? Lugia is certainly a legendary by any measure thereof that I can think of, and that movie appearance bit hardly refutes any of these arguments. Seriously, what convinced you to even put forward this absurd idea in the first place? Are you trying to justify that Lugia in your T-card or something? -.-

Last edited:

Clow

I foresee.... A bright future
    Years
  • Hello, I mostly agree with Alter, but I have my own stand point. True a Lugia did have a child somewhere in the Johto part of the Anima, but that Lugia was Female, or Female0-ish as far as I could tell, and the one in the Movie was male-ish. Know, just because Legendaries refuse to breed in captivity doesn't mean they won't breed at all, I mean there's full set of legendary birds in both Red/Blue and XD, you expect me to believe there one in the same? I think not. And there's also the legendary birds in the anima, here's a good example, Articuno. There is one in the movie, there is a sighing of one in the show, and one is befriended by the Frontier Brain Noland, I honestly doubt these three are one and the same. So there's my two cents ^_^.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • The only reason every legendary, including Lugia, is legendary:
    It cannot be obtained more than once in a single Pokémon game. (Without cheat devices/glitches/trading)

About the anime thing, let me tell you the anime is crap. It contradicts many of the things from the games. And, about breeding, Manaphy is the only case of a breedable legendary. Lugia CANNOT breed, and if it could, it wouldn't stop being legendary.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
  • Here´s the baby lugia shown in the anime:

Actualy Lugia is a guardian, not a legendary.
    Legendaries aren´t strong as guardians, and they aren´t so important either.
    Like Lugia is the guardian of the sea, and Ho-oh of the sky (although Kyogre and Rayquaza are the guardians of that too)

and Entei (for example) is the volcano pokemon, not the guardian of the volcanoes.

Legendary pokemons are the following:
    Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Entei, Raikou, Suicune, the Regis (except Regigas), Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf.

Guardians are all the rest. (Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Celebi, Latios, Rayquaza, Groudon, Palkia, Dialga, Drakrai, Lucario, etc.........................

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yeah, its true Lugia is a guardian, but I've also always thought of it as a Legendary as well.
    I mean, at the time it was introduced it was called a Legendary, so I always just went with that.

Either way, it doesn't really matter to me what it is, its still awesome. x3

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Any post that uses the anime as back-up has the words 'Fail' printed on it in huge red letters. ._. The anime does not only contradict the manga and games, but it also contradicts itself in more ways I can bother to count. The manga and games, however, don't contradict each other, which definitely makes the anime the odd man out.
    Here´s the baby lugia shown in the anime:

Actualy Lugia is a guardian, not a legendary.
    Legendaries aren´t strong as guardians, and they aren´t so important either.
    Like Lugia is the guardian of the sea, and Ho-oh of the sky (although Kyogre and Rayquaza are the guardians of that too)

and Entei (for example) is the volcano pokemon, not the guardian of the volcanoes.

Legendary pokemons are the following:
    Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Entei, Raikou, Suicune, the Regis (except Regigas), Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf.

Guardians are all the rest. (Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Celebi, Latios, Rayquaza, Groudon, Palkia, Dialga, Drakrai, Lucario, etc.........................
    Okay, where did this guardian crap come from? Yes, Lugia was referred to as the guardian of the sea in the second movie, but that does not mean it isn't legendary. Give us some proof of all this guardian stuff and maybe I'll believe you. However, even if guardians (if those even exist in Pokémon. <.<) and legendaries aren't the same thing, guardians would still be above the legendaries because the Pokémon you listed as ''legendaries'' can mostly just bring destruction, whereas many of the ''guardians'' you listed can either calm down the legendaries and/or are obviously their superiors. For example, Lugia has the power to calm down the legendary birds which obviously makes it superior to them. It's also considerably stronger in the games than the legendary birds. Same with Raikou, Entei and Suicune and Ho-Oh, IIRC Ho-Oh had some kind of connection to the legendary beasts in the manga and is obviously higher up than them because it has the power to give life. As for the three Hoenn Regis being legendary and Regigigas only being a guardian, that's completely illogical. Not only is Regigigas much bigger, but it also has higher stats and the three other Regis are required to awaken it from its slumber. It obviously means its higher up than the Hoenn Regis.

Also, would you care to explain how exactly Lucario is a guardian? It's not one of a kind, nor is it exceptionally strong. It even has a pre-evo that evolves into Lucario unlike the Manaphy/Phione shizzle. It starred in a movie, but that doesn't mean anything. After all, Unown starred in their own movie, too, but that doesn't make them legendary, does it?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 11, 2023
    Actually, certain legendaries can breed (Manaphy and its baby evolution, anyone?) and not all of them are unique (as with the Latis, hence why they have genders) so no, I don't agree with this shoddy piece of argumentation at all. So it had a child in the anime? Where precisely in the anime might this be? As I recall, Lugia should be dormant at the bottom of the sea. o.O Regardless, it's definitely legendary on account of the following:

1. It features in the pokémon world's legends, as seen in the games and also - although I loathe to use the crappy cliché-hive that it has become as an example - the anime.

2. It's essentialy Ho-oh's counterpart (Kind of like with Kyogre and Groudon), unless of course you also want to dispute Ho-oh's claim to the title of legendary, in which case you're stepping even further onto thin ice.

3. It's listed at the bottom of its region's pokédex, as is customary with legends, and also has the statline (Base stat average over 100), wide movepool, signature move (Aeroblast) and even the 'Pressure' trait, all typical characteristics of legendaries.

4. It is not only genderless but also belongs to the 'No Eggs' egg group. Hence, unlike regular genderless pokémon like Staryu or Beldum, it can't breed with anything, even Ditto. D:

5. It's unique in the games with set locations, its own overworld sprite (certainly not common fare for G/S/C) and both in the G/S/C and advance generation games you need a specific key item to even get an attempt to catch it. The fact that this item - in Advance - is only obtainable through Nintendo events furhter proves its legendary status, ever seen a non-legendary have its special, very own secret area designed into the game? I can't bring any to mind.

6. It even has a game (Pokémon XD) basically centered around it for crying out loud! >_<

All this balanced against your weak argument of 'it had a kid in the anime'...need I repeat my position? Lugia is certainly a legendary by any measure thereof that I can think of, and that movie appearance bit hardly refutes any of these arguments. Seriously, what convinced you to even put forward this absurd idea in the first place? Are you trying to justify that Lugia in your T-card or something? -.-

No offence, but I think its kind of pathetic that you'd type all that out just to prove a point. A simple 'no, I don't agree, here's 2 reasons why:' would have done. And, this thread is, as the title suggests, for people who do NOT count Lugia as a legendary, and if I wanted people telling me their opinion about why it IS a legendary, I would have posted that, so I'd be greatful if you'd not post here again =]

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    No offence, but I think its kind of pathetic that you'd type all that out just to prove a point. A simple 'no, I don't agree, here's 2 reasons why:' would have done. And, this thread is, as the title suggests, for people who do NOT count Lugia as a legendary, and if I wanted people telling me their opinion about why it IS a legendary, I would have posted that, so I'd be greatful if you'd not post here again =]
    No offence, but it's kinda pathetic not to state why you think as you do. Forums are meant to express your opinions on things, and it makes you sound much more convincing if you if you actually prove your points right. ._. Also, whether it was your intention or not, this thread is a discussion of whether or not Lugia is a legendary, and I see no reason why people that don't agree with you wouldn't have the right to contribute to the topic. Sounds to me like you're just upset because not everyone agrees with you. You may say and think whatever you want about Lugia not being legendary, but the evidence are against you.

Deskmenu

Cant think of anything to say
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    No offence, but it's kinda pathetic not to state why you think as you do. Forums are meant to express your opinions on things, and it makes you sound much more convincing if you if you actually prove your points right. ._. Also, whether it was your intention or not, this thread is a discussion of whether or not Lugia is a legendary, and I see no reason why people that don't agree with you wouldn't have the right to contribute to the topic. Sounds to me like you're just upset because not everyone agrees with you. You may say and think whatever you want about Lugia not being legendary, but the evidence are against you.
    That post is mad of win and awesome.
    Lugia is a legendary Pokemon because he appears in legends,ergo Legendary.
    Also Games don't equal Anime

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 11, 2023

Meh, makes no difference to me why people agree or not, and I sort of did express my thoughts, but they're my own, and what's with all the ganging up here anyway? I sort of own all of you by default if there's any ganging up ;)

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I honestly don't go by what the anime says. The games came first and thus they should be more accurate/official. The in the game, apparently there is one Lugia. In the anime, they can reproduce like any other common Pokemon. But according to Pokemon guides based off of the anime, a new Entei - which is a Legendary, as in the game it cannot reproduce - is born whenever a volcano erupts. So in the anime there is more than one Entei. And Lugia. And Articuno (Noland, anyone?)! In fact, if I didn't know better, there'd probably be more than one of each legendary except for those oddities like Mewtwo, Mew, Groudon, Ryaquaza, etc.. And in the fourth movie they comment on how Celebi's "friends" (all the different Celebis of different time periods) came to help him. So in the anime, there is even more than one Celebi. So is it right to consider Lugia a non-legendary just because it's offspring has been given more publicity than others? It's your opinion, which is fine, but I'm saying that I think it's a bit too much to consider the emphasis of Silver and Ho-oh's counterpart a non-legendary because it had babies in the anime.

I'd also like to comment on what other members have touched on, which is Manaphy's illegitimate lovechild, Phione. Game-wise, Manaphy is the first legendary to have a pre-evolution. But it's still a legendary, right? Diamond and Pearl broke a lot of traditions when it came to making new Pokemon, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal that Lugia has (really darn cute!) kids in the tv show.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    In regards to the topic, yes, Lugia is indeed a Legendary. Just because it breeds does not mean it is not a legendary. it was made quite clear in all pokemon media that it is indeed a legendary. Also, Off topic but to Smarties-kun:

Any post that uses the anime as back-up has the words 'Fail' printed on it in huge red letters. ._. The anime does not only contradict the manga and games, but it also contradicts itself in more ways I can bother to count. The manga and games, however, don't contradict each other, which definitely makes the anime the odd man out.

Ummm... no offense, but about the Anime being the only Pokemon media to contradict itself or any other Pokemon media, the games kind of contradict themselves as well. For evidence for the games contradicting themselves,

1. The Mew entry in the researcher diary on cinnabar island stated that it gave BIRTH to Mewtwo, and yet the pokedex entry for Mewtwo said that it was more or less the result of a gene-splicing experiment, and gave absolutely no hint that it was the offspring of Mew.

2. The Pokedex entries stated that Marowak gave childbirth and dies as a result, and yet when you breed a Marowak, not only does it live after breeding, but it lays an egg.

3. Cubone's Pokedex entry states that it's skull helmet came from the remains of it's dead mom (Marowak), and yet when a cubone hatches, it also seems to be born with the skull helmet latched onto it's head.

4. Vulpix's pokedex entry stated that it was born pale and with a single tail, but when hatched from the egg, it has it's 6 tails and its normal coat.

5. Kadabra's pokedex entry hints that it was originally a human being, however, from the multitudes of Kadabra (not to mention that it can evolve into another pokemon [Alakazam], and breed to create it's pre-evo [Abra].) it doesn't really seem to be the case.

6. Mew was called the ancestor of all pokemon even in Diamond and Pearl, and yet they mentioned Arceus being the creator of all pokemon.

7. And not to mention the multitudes of legendaries despite them being genderless and one of a kind (Emerald battle frontier, anyone? or how about the Colosseum/XD games? or how about FR/LG [there is the part where Entei/Raikou/Suicune are running around Kanto despite the fact that the 3 beasts are not supposed to awake for another 3 years.]?)

I can't really say the same for the manga, but they did state that Misty was some rich lady in one manga, and yet was not mentioned to be that in the games, plus, they made some of the gym leaders rocket members (or ex rocket members, in Blane's case), when, with the exception of Giovanni, it wasn't the case at all in the games.

AssassinX

The Royal Assassin
    Years
  • Luiga is a legendary, therfore it should be considered as such. Besides Luiga is awesome, but I prefer Moltres, Ho-oh, or Grudon anyday of the week.

Lihinel

so what?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2008
    First, don't confuse gamemechanics with ingame lore.
    And secondly, don't try to find one true pokémon lore, there are far to many products out now.

So before you try to ask a question like this, you might first try to find a real definition of what you mean by "legendary".
    Than you might go on and find all pokémon that are part of the group whose members got the "legendary" attribute.

Hands down, language sucks.

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
  • I live and judge by the games, not the hundreds of episodes of filler that comprise the anime, and Lugia is a legendary.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
  • Okay, where did this guardian crap come from? Yes, Lugia was referred to as the guardian of the sea in the second movie, but that does not mean it isn't legendary. Give us some proof of all this guardian stuff and maybe I'll believe you.
    That will be funny to explain:

"Guardian" is a word used in tournaments and even in the GBA´s Battle Tower (it doesn´t have that name, but you know that it exists) to those pokemons that are stronger than "normal" pokemons and for that reason are too strong to compete.

Also in some sites and even in pokemon magazines, the term "guardian" is also used to describe this kind of pokemons.
    Mew and Mewtwo as "the guardians of humanity", lugia and kyogre as "the guardians of the sea", Celebi as "the guardian of the forest" or even "the guardian of the time", etc..........

I don´t need to prove anything, it´s just real, and you can see it in the games (celebi as the guardian of the forest) and in the anime too.

Last edited:
    Back