• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

approach for creating an original region based hack

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2017
    I will be using Fire Red as a base to construct an original region for my hack, but I have a question about the best way to approach it. Does it make more sense to use JPAN's cleaning patch and write 100% original scripts from the ground up (I have a limited understanding of what everything in the games scripts do when I reference them, so I'm concerned if I start from scratch I may miss something important, or use the wrong flags, etc) or does it make more sense to leave the games scripts intact and try to rebuild them with my own routines.

Some of the main ones I dont understand are most of the map scripts, and why they exist. (Some are very self explanitory, such as oak checking your pokedex when you enter pallet town, but others such as this one baffle me. This is "on entering map/not on menu close script #0 for pallet town."
    Spoiler:

I feel very lost navigating the games scripts most of the time, maybe there is a tutorial someone could steer me towards to help with that?

Anyways, I'm rambling. My apolagies. Any help with this would be much appreciated. Or tips in general. :)

Back