• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziolang

Charmander!!!
Years
I made a search but couldnt find anything. I'm using the PKSV with fire red and have 2 questions. How do you add a completely new pokemon, and how do you change the starter pokemon?

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
Years
There are tutorials for inserting new Pokemon in the documents/tutorials section of this forum. To change the starters, I recommend writing a new starter script, but if you can't do that yet, you can change the starters by editing the starter-giving script and changing the pokemon they add. PKSV will make that very easy to do, since you can just type in the Pokemon name instead of needing to use the Pokemon number in hex.

ziolang

Charmander!!!
Years
There are tutorials for inserting new Pokemon in the documents/tutorials section of this forum. To change the starters, I recommend writing a new starter script, but if you can't do that yet, you can change the starters by editing the starter-giving script and changing the pokemon they add. PKSV will make that very easy to do, since you can just type in the Pokemon name instead of needing to use the Pokemon number in hex.

k. this is the first time i've ever done this so I'll check the tutorial. about the starter thing, could you give me a little guide for doing that? thx

PeregrineFig

Years
I really desperately need to edit a behavior byte so I don't need to place 40+ signpost scripts on each map. I've found the offsets where some of the behavior bytes are stored and found pointers to display text, but no matter how much I tinker with them I can't get a pointer to a script to work. Does anyone know if it's even possible to make a behavior byte point to a standard script, and if so, where do I place the pointer? The closest I got was making the byte try to read the hex of the script as a text string.

EDIT: Nevermind, after a LOT of experimenting I actually did this by myself and made a working headbutt tree behavior byte :D If anyone's interested I might write a little tutorial on how I did it, because it's not really easy.

Last edited:

PeregrineFig

Years
Anybody know the offset for FR's APE logo (Pokemon and version text.)

If you look in Palette Viewer, the colors used are stored across about 6 different offsets. Either leave those colors the same, or do what I'd do to find it: click each color, flip the last half of the number with the first half (so for examplesearch 2739 as 3927) , search about 5 of those colors in a hex editor, write down the offset, open it in APE. Start at the first color of a row and get the offset of every other row.

Years
When I enter a warp into one building in my game, my screen goes black, the music stops, and I can't do anything. It only happens when I enter that specific building. Anyone know why this is happening, or how I can fix it?

PeregrineFig

Years
That exact same thing happened to me once. I made a new map, made it identical to the old one, then inserted it over the old one. First, though, before you do that check if there's a level script messing it up.

Years
My game isn't updating in VBA. When I change something, and then re-open the game in VBA, there are no apparent changes to the game. Even if I change the tiles around on the map, when I open the game in VBA, nothing has changed. Anyone have any clue why?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
My game isn't updating in VBA. When I change something, and then re-open the game in VBA, there are no apparent changes to the game. Even if I change the tiles around on the map, when I open the game in VBA, nothing has changed. Anyone have any clue why?

Are you:
1. Saving in the program that you're using to edit the game?
2. Opening/editing the right ROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back