• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    Yes, I know this has virtually nothing to do with rom hacking, but it's almost on the same topic.

For probably over a year now I been wanting to make a full-blown Pokemon RPG through RM2k(or 2k3). In the end it would probably be almost exactly like how the PMDs are right now: basically an RPG with nothing but pokemon.

Anyways, I was very thrilled when I discovered about the Mysterious Dungeon games, because of the fact it featured every pokemon that currently existed, and they were the perfect style of sprites that could be used in an oldskool Final Fantasy-ish format of a game. So now my current problem is..... getting those sprites.

Those who have done "chara hunting" before for RM programs should know what I need: basically rips of sprites walking up, down, and to the sides. I tempted it before with a Japanese rom of the red game and doing it from scratch(by using screenshots). I almost got it, but it'll take forever if I continued this way. Or just by myself at least =/

So... What I ask is: Does anyone know of a site that has already gone through the painful hassle of doing complete sprite rips? Or if maybe a possible hack out there that could export the sprites completely from the rom itself? ..... Nothing else is there at least gameshark codes out there so that I can try to get all of them x_x

A site offering the Mystery Dungeon sprites on a few sheets, is The Spriters Resource.
    If you go to their site, click the "Nintendo" link, and "Mystery Dungeon", you will find a list of sprites from the game.
    Alternatively, you can just click here.
    Another site, would be PE2K, which offers some sprites as well.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    if you are adding more that 8 gym leaders, how do you create the badge for them? (i search b4 postin)

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    if you are adding more that 8 gym leaders, how do you create the badge for them? (i search b4 postin)

Badges in the games, are nothing more than Flags.
    You can easily add a new Badge, by using a different Flag value.

However, you can not add a new Badge-Graphic for it, as that would require a lot of ASM modifications.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2010
    First of all, sorry for my possibly bad English...

Well, I'm hacking Sapphire, and this is my problem:

I want you can only take 1 starter (Pichu), it can stay whit the bag and stuff nothing special, but now, if you an "empty" POKéBaLL, you get the question mark POKéMON, and you always white out after battle.
    Is there any way to make it say "You can't take an empty POKéBALL!" or something like that, so you are forced to take Pichu?

I'm a super newbie so I hope someone can explain it to me in an easy way...

Thanks already!

Ai-Chan

I love Roark~ x3
    Years
    I tried reading as many pages of this topic as I could, so I wouldn't really be repeating a question. ^o^;; But I gave up eventually, so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat of a question.

I am working on a hack of Ruby.
    I'm having slight issues with the main trainer overworld sprites. I can change the hex and all, and I have TLP, and S.P.R.E.A.D. and Overworld... but for those programs, do I have to redraw everything for the sprites?
    I've already drawn in the sprites & saved them as BMP files, but I am having trouble importing them to replace the Brendan/May sprites.

My second question is I would like to have a second trainer sprite follow the first.
    Like...the main hero/heroine having a travel companion. [Like in Pokemon Yellow except you would replace Pikachu with a trainer.]
    I realize this will require me to script a good bit, but if someone would be so kind as to help me get started, I'd appreciate it! ^o^

Thank you very much for your time in advance.

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2016
    I'm pretty sure this has already been asked, but i am just too lazy to read 60 pages so here it goes *SUPER NOOB QUESTION* When i load pokemon emerald.gba (English into elitemap it shows nothing other than a black square and says at the top "BPEE - Pok?n Emerald (E) No Level loaded." How do i fix this? If possible. THanks!

calumoh

686578206D616E696163
    Years
    cracking gold

hey i was just wondering if anyone knows the format for what level pokemon learn attacks and what level they evolve in gold version because i am 90% of the way towards figuring it out and a little help would be appreciated
    i know that x4368D is where chikorita/bayleef is and after a while i worked out how it works...sort-of...the evolution level is there as well but im still slightly confused about the format...i have a screenshot of a chikorita that knows beat up through my editing but i cant post it coz i havent posted 15 times yet...lol

Last edited:

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    First of all, sorry for my possibly bad English...

Well, I'm hacking Sapphire, and this is my problem:

I want you can only take 1 starter (Pichu), it can stay whit the bag and stuff nothing special, but now, if you an "empty" POKéBaLL, you get the question mark POKéMON, and you always white out after battle.
    Is there any way to make it say "You can't take an empty POKéBALL!" or something like that, so you are forced to take Pichu?

I'm a super newbie so I hope someone can explain it to me in an easy way...

Thanks already!
    You can realize this concept, by using Trigger events on the path that you want to block.
    In the script for them, check if a certain Flag (in your case, a Flag that determines if you have received a Pokémon) has been set, and if so, let the Player pass.
    If it's not set, just let the player sprite move one step backwards.

Some examples have been given here in this thread, the search function helps.

I tried reading as many pages of this topic as I could, so I wouldn't really be repeating a question. ^o^;; But I gave up eventually, so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat of a question.

I am working on a hack of Ruby.
    I'm having slight issues with the main trainer overworld sprites. I can change the hex and all, and I have TLP, and S.P.R.E.A.D. and Overworld... but for those programs, do I have to redraw everything for the sprites?
    I've already drawn in the sprites & saved them as BMP files, but I am having trouble importing them to replace the Brendan/May sprites.

My second question is I would like to have a second trainer sprite follow the first.
    Like...the main hero/heroine having a travel companion. [Like in Pokemon Yellow except you would replace Pikachu with a trainer.]
    I realize this will require me to script a good bit, but if someone would be so kind as to help me get started, I'd appreciate it! ^o^

Thank you very much for your time in advance.
    The new version of the Overworld Editor offers an import function. With that function, you can import BMP pictures, so that you don't have to re-draw the sprites.
    It can be found in the Tools Showcase.

If you're still having trouble importing them, the easiest way would be to re-draw them.

For the second Trainer sprite following you, that is "kind of" possible.
    You would have to add a new person event to every map, and put Trigger events on every exit of the maps, which activate the script that handles the "follow" routine.
    However, that is a lot of work, as you have already said.

I'm pretty sure this has already been asked, but i am just too lazy to read 60 pages so here it goes *SUPER NOOB QUESTION* When i load pokemon emerald.gba (English into elitemap it shows nothing other than a black square and says at the top "BPEE - Pok?n Emerald (E) No Level loaded." How do i fix this? If possible. THanks!

Just select a Level and Bank number from the boxes, next to where you loaded the ROM.

hey i was just wondering if anyone knows the format for what level pokemon learn attacks and what level they evolve in gold version because i am 90% of the way towards figuring it out and a little help would be appreciated
    i know that x4368D is where chikorita/bayleef is and after a while i worked out how it works...sort-of...the evolution level is there as well but im still slightly confused about the format...i have a screenshot of a chikorita that knows beat up through my editing but i cant post it coz i havent posted 15 times yet...lol

The basic structure for the Evolutions and Attacks is the following:
    Code:
    [Evolution #1] [Attacks #1] [Evolution #2] [Attacks #2]
    Now, the Evolution and Attack data used the following structure:

Evolutions:
    Code:
    [01=Level-Evolution] [Level] [Pokémon] [00]
    [02=Item-Evolution] [Item] [Pokémon] [00]
    [03=Trade-Evolution] [Item (FF=None)] [Pokémon] [00]
    [04=Happyness-Evolution] [Daytime (01=N/A, 02=Day, 03=Night)] [Pokémon] [00]
    [05=Stats-Evolution] [Level] [01 ATT > DEF, 02 ATT < DEF, 03 ATT = DEF] [Pokémon] [00]

Attacks:
    Code:
    [Level #1] [Attack #1] [Level #2] [Attack #2] ... [00]

calumoh

686578206D616E696163
    Years
    The basic structure for the Evolutions and Attacks is the following:
    Code:
    [Evolution #1] [Attacks #1] [Evolution #2] [Attacks #2]
    Now, the Evolution and Attack data used the following structure:

Evolutions:
    Code:
    [01=Level-Evolution] [Level] [Pokémon] [00]
    [02=Item-Evolution] [Item] [Pokémon] [00]
    [03=Trade-Evolution] [Item (FF=None)] [Pokémon] [00]
    [04=Happyness-Evolution] [Daytime (01=N/A, 02=Day, 03=Night)] [Pokémon] [00]
    [05=Stats-Evolution] [Level] [01 ATT > DEF, 02 ATT < DEF, 03 ATT = DEF] [Pokémon] [00]

Attacks:
    Code:
    [Level #1] [Attack #1] [Level #2] [Attack #2] ... [00]

thx a lot scizz, also would you happen to know the same thing for emerald version?
    is it the same format (except obviously with more kinds of evolution methods)?

ssj

Kanto Legend
    Years
    When the trainer says "Much anger you have" then when hes ment to say "so young one you want to battle I get a load of Strange letters appearing in the message box with pre-battle music playing.
    #org 0x73aa72
    message 0x73ab90
    boxset 0x2
    #raw 0x5C
    setflag 0xA125
    trainerbattle 0x8 0x05 0x0 0x73ad6d 0x7bbfae
    message 0x7bc253
    boxset 0x2
    applymovement 0x9 0x7bc377
    pause 0x20
    release
    end

#org 0x73ab90
    = Much anger you have

#org 0x73ad6d
    = So young one you want to fight me.

#org 0x7bbfae
    = You have learnt well

#org 0x7bc253
    = It is time I moved on.

#org 0x7BC377
    #binary 13 13 13 13 13 60 1D 1D 1D 1D FE

[Archive] Simple Questions

Last edited:

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    thx a lot scizz, also would you happen to know the same thing for emerald version?
    is it the same format (except obviously with more kinds of evolution methods)?
    For the advance-games, the data is stored in a similar way. Yet, it's a bit different.

I have posted it in this thread some time ago, so you might want to have a look for it.

When the trainer says "Much anger you have" then when hes ment to say "so young one you want to battle I get a load of Strange letters appearing in the message box with pre-battle music playing.
    #org 0x73aa72
    message 0x73ab90
    boxset 0x2
    #raw 0x5C
    setflag 0xA125
    trainerbattle 0x8 0x05 0x0 0x73ad6d 0x7bbfae
    message 0x7bc253
    boxset 0x2
    pause 0x20
    release
    end

#org 0x73ab90
    = Much anger you have

#org 0x73ad6d

#org 0x7bbfae
    = You have learnt well

#org 0x7bc253
    = It is time I moved on.

#org 0x7BC377

[/URL]

Code:
    #org 0x73aa72
    message 0x73ab90
    boxset 0x2
    setflag 0x125
    trainerbattle 0x0 0x05 0x0 0x73ad6d 0x7bbfae
    message 0x7bc253
    boxset 0x2
    pause 0x20
    release
    end

#org 0x73ab90
    = Much anger you have

#org 0x73ad6d

#org 0x7bbfae
    = You have learnt well

#org 0x7bc253
    = It is time I moved on.

#org 0x7BC377
    Try this one. I did a test compile, and it's working fine.

ssj

Kanto Legend
    Years
    That script doesnt seem to work for me all that happenes it that the trainer says "much anger you have" thats it.

Cy-Chan

GSC Hacker
    Years
    #org 0x801000
    applymovement APPLYMOVE_PLAYER 0x801500

#org 0x801500
    #binary 6

- It's supposed to move you left one step, but, it does nothing, then, when you enter a house, the animation goes left and up... can anyone fix it?

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    That script doesnt seem to work for me all that happenes it that the trainer says "much anger you have" thats it.
    You should try changing the offsets, or try it out on a clean ROM.
    Since the script is tested and working, the problem must be on your end.

#org 0x801000

#org 0x801500
    #binary 6

- It's supposed to move you left one step, but, it does nothing, then, when you enter a house, the animation goes left and up... can anyone fix it?

Code:
    #org 0x801000
    end

#org 0x801500
    #binary 6
    #raw FE 'End
    Try this code, it's untested, but should work.

Cy-Chan

GSC Hacker
    Years
    Still doesn't work... When I open the script after compiling, it views it incorrectly:

'-----------------------
    #org 0x801000
    applymovement APPLYMOVE_PLAYER 0x8801500
    end

'-----------
    ' Movements
    '-----------
    #raw 6 'Left1
    #raw FE 'Exit

8801500... Any ideas on what I could do about it?

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    Still doesn't work... When I open the script after compiling, it views it incorrectly:

'-----------------------
    #org 0x801000
    applymovement APPLYMOVE_PLAYER 0x8801500
    end

'-----------
    ' Movements
    '-----------
    #raw 6 'Left1
    #raw FE 'Exit

8801500... Any ideas on what I could do about it?

The Script shows up correctly. The "8" before the offset is there, because it is a pointer.
    When you assign the Script to an Event, said Event will move to the left.

Cy-Chan

GSC Hacker
    Years
    Oh, I see... It's a trigger I'm using. The player steps on it, player moves left... would it work differently, in that case?

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    Oh, I see... It's a trigger I'm using. The player steps on it, player moves left... would it work differently, in that case?

Assigning the Script to a Trigger Event will not make a difference.
    It will work just like any other Event type.
    However, be sure to activate the Trigger, else, your Script won't be executed.
    How, has been posted in this thread before.

Cy-Chan

GSC Hacker
    Years
    Well, I checked... Changing the second flag to &H0003? If so, it still does the same thing. It moves left, when you enter a house... sorry for being a nuisance...

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    I need some help! I have been trying to change Treecko's sprite in ruby to its DP sprite. However, everytime I "paste" the dp sprite over the normal treecko background (as indicated in scizz's basic gba hacking for beginners thread and also because I don't know how to index images in phosotshop :()
    it gets some weird purple spots everywhere! Anyway, I've tried to get it in the game even like this and (I would show you the screenshot I took, but I need more 14 posts) it has an horrible quality.

Is there any way to get treecko's dp sprite with a better quality in the game? Do I have to edit palettes or something?

EDIT; if someone could help me through msn, that'd be fantastic. pm me if you can :x

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back