• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are games getting too easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
Years
  • Well sweeties, being a long time gamer, I'm starting to feel that plenty of games' difficulty has been toned down. Many games I have beaten recently from this generation have felt too easy to me. However, when I pop in a one of my NES or SNES games, they kinda feel a little more challenging. (I still beat the game nevertheless, sweeties. =P)

So any of you sweeties feel the same way?

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Well, considering that I can actually beat video games, now, they're very, very easy nowadays. XD; I miss the challenge I got from older video games like those in the Super Mario series. The games I play now are far too easy for me, and I'm a pretty crappy video gamer. XD

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Games used to seem a lot harder when I first started playing them, but I've realized for the most part that was just because I failed hard at gaming when I was younger. I can usually beat things I struggled with for AGES quite quickly now. But overall, I think the games I play are a little easier than they used to be. But then again, I like a whole different genre these days. In RPGs, if something is hard, you can usually spend some time levelling up so that it's not so bad.

:/ I still suck really hard at platformers (ask TRIFORCE89 and he will vouch for me) which is what I mostly played when I was younger.

Persona

Banned
    Years
  • I agree that games have gotten easier. A large portion of the budget in many of today's games is being used on the visuals, it was to be expected. However, most gamers would normally want to get enjoyment out of playing them anyway, not frustration from the more difficult games. However, at least developers are implementing difficulty settings, so it allows every player to try different levels of patience, skill sets, and to find a setting that they can easily find to be most comfortable.

Other than that, for a game to be both successful and money-making, it must appeal to the broadest range of gamers. So by the time we've completed a game, it's different than what we had originally envisioned. It's understandable, but unfortunately it's a disappointment for those who want a lot more depth included and skill required to play well.

Gamethief19

That's what she said.....
    Years
  • Are you people crazy?

have you people ever played FFXII Revenant Wings? i only beat one level in that game and then i couldnt get any further

Persona

Banned
    Years
  • have you people ever played FFXII Revenant Wings? i only beat one level in that game and then i couldnt get any further

Really? That's interesting, because I found Revenant Wings incredibly easy. It's not deeply strategic or much of a challenging game. As you may know, the game practically plays itself. Move one of your characters against an enemy, and they walk on their own towards them and begin attacking without you having to press any other button to initiate the moves.

In terms of difficulty, it depends from person to person, so not everyone's going to think one game is too easy or too difficult.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 26, 2009
    I agree, games are in general getting easier. Take Assassin's Creed, for example. It was a great game, I loved it, but it wasn't hard at all. I think the only time I died during the entire game was during the final boss fight, since he reduces you to one health at points during the battle. Another game I loved but thought was too easy was Skies of Arcadia Legends. Plenty to do, great story, interesting battle system, but I didn't feel challenged that much.

Then you got old games. Square's Final Fantasy series comes to mind in particular. Ruby and Emerald weapons in FF7 were damn near impossible without the right strategy, and FF8's enemies leveled up with you, so there was barely any advantage to training outside the main story.

Of course, there are exceptions, but in general games follow the trend of getting easier as time goes on.

Years
  • I was actually discussing with some friends the other day how games for the original Nintendo were extremely hard to beat. Something like the first few Power Rangers or Ninja Turtles games... they were so hard. The games nowadays are pretty simple, and it's not like the old days where you'd get 3 lives for the entire game.

Tré

Raised by the bastards of 1969
    Years
  • yeah...i kinda noticed it...but i think it's on our expiriences...when we've played many games i think we've gotten better...well for me i try to play the game first in hard...then very hard...and there's beyond it i'll try with mad skillz...hehe...

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • I'm surprised nobody has brought up "Play a harder difficulty" as a point yet. Sure, most games are easy as hell... on NORMAL. I highly doubt all of the members who posted in this thread play all their games on hard or higher.

Cherrim

Years
  • I'm surprised nobody has brought up "Play a harder difficulty" as a point yet. Sure, most games are easy as hell... on NORMAL. I highly doubt all of the members who posted in this thread play all their games on hard or higher.
    I almost always do, but, like I said, most of the games I play are those in which I can level up. The only game I've played on "normal" recently was Crisis Core: FFVII and that's only because I tried it on hard and everything was just so overpowered that I was using all my healing items and still having problems. <_<; But then when I restarted and switched down to normal? I breezed through the game FAR too easily That was disappointing. A lot of games don't have an in-between. Once you get to a certain point, you can almost always go through quite easily.

To compensate, I know a lot of games do have extra missions and sidequests that are so much harder than the main plot. So I guess if you like a game and you're bored, that's always an option. :/ Thing is, with a lot of games I play through once on my own without walkthroughs and if it's far too easy, there's a good chance I'll just get bored. To get a proper experience with harder quests, etc. sometimes you have to do these inane little things that you wouldn't think of on your own. <_<; It's fun but... I also think the main plot should just be harder in more games. (Mind you, I'm speaking mostly about RPGs here since I don't play all that much else.)

try God of War, and then we'll talk further :rambo:
    sdklfsk I tried to play this on normal and I swear like every 5 minutes I would die and the game was practically screaming at me to go down to easy. :(

Gamethief19

Years
  • im not sure that that question can really be answered because everybody will think differently about pretty much every game

what i wanna know is: are games Super Smash Bros. considered hard? some people may think that it is just button mashing but you really have to go in depth and use your moves AND the environment in which you play against your opponent(s). the computer is pretty easy to beat, but when it is an actual person that you are playing against, its a whole other story

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
  • I agree, the games in this generation have a much easier difficulty setting than that of the ones on the NES and most older consoles. Even game series that are notorious for their difficulty have been toned down recently (such as Castlevania).

Also, not to really change the subject, but I feel that some Nintendo games have also been toned down in length. Take Luigi's Mansion for instance, it should take a good few hours to complete the game.

Gamethief19

Years
  • I agree, the games in this generation have a much easier difficulty setting than that of the ones on the NES and most older consoles. Even game series that are notorious for their difficulty have been toned down recently (such as Castlevania).

Also, not to really change the subject, but I feel that some Nintendo games have also been toned down in length. Take Luigi's Mansion for instance, it should take a good few hours to complete the game.

i disagree, it took me over 2 weeks to beat luigi's mansion

Cherrim

Years
  • im not sure that that question can really be answered because everybody will think differently about pretty much every game

what i wanna know is: are games Super Smash Bros. considered hard? some people may think that it is just button mashing but you really have to go in depth and use your moves AND the environment in which you play against your opponent(s). the computer is pretty easy to beat, but when it is an actual person that you are playing against, its a whole other story
    It's different when you factor human players into it. Smash Bros is pretty simple against computers but when you fight other humans? That's when it can get hard. You usually don't have to put any strategy into it otherwise. Just keep using smash attacks and grab items when you see them. :/ Against humans it's much more challenging.

I think most games follow that principle if they allow you to go against other humans, or even play with them on a team. Some boss fights in the Tales of series games are nigh impossible playing on your own, but when you have another person there? They can act as a distraction, as a smart healer... whatever you need to complete it easily. But since a lot of people value one-player mode in games, I think that's what's mostly being discussed.

I agree, the games in this generation have a much easier difficulty setting than that of the ones on the NES and most older consoles. Even game series that are notorious for their difficulty have been toned down recently (such as Castlevania).

I definitely agree there. Luigi's Mansion took me about 2 weeks the first time I played it because life was hectic and then when I went back and replayed it in the last year or two? It was so, so easy. Finished it in a day or two with a few hours each sit down. :/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back