• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Are the Crystal official/unofficial guides any good?

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    I'm about to purchase a good as new copy of Crystal for my new SP and I was wondering if I should get the guide cheap as well... I know I can use the internet but a guide is better for me, i like things more hands-on and I like a hard copy...

But are the guides any good? (Specifically crystal) Do they show pokemon catching locations, trainer's pokemon, walkthroughs, and maps?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I did skim through a Crystal Guide once at a Bookstore, and it did tell me what I had to do in order to get to Ho-oh. Other than that, I don't know too much, but it did look like a good Guide. Probably as good as any guide.

Don't remember if it was the official or the non-official. All I know that it was a small size, and not the usual size you see the guides as.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I had the official Gold/Silver guide years ago. It had a shiny cover with Lugia on it (though there may have been one with Ho-Oh on it as well). It was really a very good guide indeed, very in-depth, took you through every nook and cranny and was absolutely invaluable to me.

I'm sure Nintendo later released either a standalone Crystal guide or a guide that covered all 3 second-gen games. Either way, if you can get hold of one of the official ones i'd highly recommend.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Yeah some guides are really good. I have a crystal guide and it help a lot because it had the walkthrough and poke'dex pages at the end, but now since I lost the guide. I can't find mine anywhere... Hope you find a good cheap guide somwhere. ;D

syphilis

lul spread the love.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    i remember buying a "perfect guide". it wasn't official (i don't think) but it was very in depth. i doubt you'd be able to find one now, but if by some chance you do, buy it. buy the hell out of it.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    I got the Perfect Guide from Versus around the same time I got Crystal. It had everything I ever needed to know. Appearance rates, full walkthrough, maps, a complete Pokedex, and a lot of information about the features that were new in G/S/C (breeding, hold items, daily events, etc.)

I haven't used any other guides, so I couldn't tell you if a different one was better or not though.

Leafeon1201

Leafeon Expert
    Years
    i bought my guide and it helps a lot. I only used it for the pokedex...but now you can get all of that info online. so i would say its not for your money unless you want the walkthrough guide (which is also available online)

Years
    Are the Crystal official/unofficial guides any good?

Ahh, good times.

Back