• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Are they Legendary Dogs or Cats... or Gerbils?

What kind of animal are Entei, Suicune, and Raikou?

• Cats

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Gerbils

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Dogs

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Other (please elaborate in thread)

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Psydragon

Elder Trainer
    Years
    They're more like Foxes (Yes I know those are in all technicallity wolfs, but...) where you can't quite tell. It's a bit inbetween.

Actually, foxes are part of the cat family. Just like tomatoes are fruit, Pluto isn't a planet, and female Mr. Mimes... well let's not get into that one. Thank God they don't have a male Jynx.
    Back on topic... Raiku is a tiger. Entei is a lion. And I think Suicune looks like a gazelle or antelope. Anybody else get reminded of Princess Mononoke ? Back when I saw GS pre-release pictures in Beckett, I thought Entei and Raiku were evelutionary forms of each other, and Suicune had nothing to do with them.

PokéToast

Want Some Toast?
    Years
    I always saw Raikou as a saber tooth, Entei as a mix of those Chinese dog statues and a lion and Suicuine as a wolf.
    Their official title would be the "legendary beasts." I suppose the legendary dogs came about in the community itself.

Giovanni

Team Rocket Leader
    Years
    I'd say their mostly like dog's but I could be wrong, we don't know really.

Many still refer to them as legendary cats or legendary dogs, depending on if they personally see feline or canine features in the individual Pokémon. Due to this disagreement, some circles have taken to humorously calling them legendary gerbils.

Sorce; Bulbapedia

Years
    • Age 34
    • CA
    • Seen Sep 22, 2010
    gonna jump into the general consensus that Rai and Ent are cats whereas Sui is a dog

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    I personally think Entei and Raikou have to be cats, Entei a lion and Raikou a tiger, but Suicune looks more like a dog to me.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2011
    I've only ever referenced them as either Raikou, Entei or Suicune. at most "legendary pokemon". I don't really see the need to categorise them. Once they've been put into a category they appear less legendary!

SunStorm55

Old-School Trainer
    Years
    They are usually referred to as the legendary dogs, but I must say they aren't all dog like, especially Raiku. I guess we will never know for sure...

Back