• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Are you...talking to me?

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I think it would be cool if our character actually talked to people, maybe an option to choose dialog to influence the out come of a conversation, what do you think?

enderalex

Breeder/Trader :)
    Years
    NO.
    well
    idk ahah
    i would prefer not to because i always preferred that he didnt talk. I like him being quiet. but i do think that if we could pick from a set of dialogue options that wouldnt be so bad, but i dont want him/her to speak too much.

but yea tbh i dont really think it should go in the game, i like Green(my character :p) silent and serious :l aahaha

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Well in HGSS the pokemon following you was able to display how they were feeling if you click on them, so I think we should just stick w/ that. Seeing my future Mijumaru talking to me would make it..not so cute anymore imo.

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
    I don't think they would do that. Plus that feature would become agitating more than anything because you would end up sitting through a lot more dialogue because when they put features like that in games they tend to let it get a little out of hand and eventually it makes the game feel like it's moving at an even more sluggish pace.

shot571

I would like that. I remember playing a hack before and enjoyed the conversation. Although i doubt they'd be using the same language :p.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Well, I'd like to, but I really think it WON'T happen ! :(
    Just because Nintendo doesn't want any spam about weird dialog of the players. And I'd really love my player's name typed on the little bar in there !

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
    I don't think they will because it has been stated (I don't remember where though...) that the point of the silent protagonist is to allow players to enter their own personality into their character. If they were to give him/her a voice box, that would also entail giving them a personality, which defeats the purpose of the silence. I prefer the silence, at least for a Pokemon game.

Spiron

High life.
    Years
    Other games, I enjoy being able to engage in conversation through dialouge, I can find it to add a certain aspect to the game that involves me more in the storyline... HOWEVER, with Pokemon, that isn't the case. I read through the thread, and starting thinking it would be a good idea, but then I read a poster's reply saying how the silent protagonist works for Pokemon by having a blank personality, enabling you to presume, or imagine, the character as having a personality similar to your own, or a character you've imagine in your head.

So, my answer is no, I wouldn't like to have to pick certain scripts of dialouge for my character, for the reason stated above, and because... well, GameFreak didn't do too well of a job in Gen III when we were asked to give our "feelings" or to "comment" on... what was it, what's "hip hop happening?"... or somthing along those lines.

Essence

Aura L♥VE
    Years
    Yes, this is what pokemon needs. BUT I don't think it's plausible.

Say we could make decisions, say, 5 in a game each with 5 options. This means (correct me if I'm wrong) 125 different storylines according to how you speak. How would this work? I see it nowhere in the near future

PalkiaSpace

Panda Hugger <(^_^)>
    Years
    When I first played Gold I thought I was talking....

Copycat is extrmely annoying to a 5 year old.

Anyway, No I don't believe this is the best idea. The point of having a silent protagonist is to imagine yourself as a character. Having pre-set dialouge would just be putting words in your mouth, and probably different opinions on things.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I like the Heroic Mime aspect of Pokemon.
    They need to play more with it, imo. More "Yes Town? Where's that?" kind of thing. Anything else wouldn't feel like Pokemon to me.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 7, 2015
    I've always wished they did make the character talk, or at least yet us pick dialogue because frankly I'm fed up with "What's your name? Oh you're Chris" conversations since it doesn't make much sense since I never told them my name.

However, I do also think it would be really odd if my character did start talking since for 4 generations he hasn't. I don't think Nintendo will do it anyway, mostly because it's supposed to be you, therefore you "reply" to characters in your head. Some conversations like the one above do sound really weird though; maybe they should word them better so it doesn't seem like they're mind readers.

Starling008

Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I don't think they will because it has been stated (I don't remember where though...) that the point of the silent protagonist is to allow players to enter their own personality into their character. If they were to give him/her a voice box, that would also entail giving them a personality, which defeats the purpose of the silence. I prefer the silence, at least for a Pokemon game.

I agree completely. When I saw this thread, I was going to say the exact same thing. Pokemon has always had silent protagonists, and always will. If you are wishing for a pre-programmed personality, you must not be that involved in the games.

Back